Sponsored

Whats all the bad press about?

onephat

ULTIMATE Member
I've recently moved and decided to dump ADSL and get myself some fiber. I've recently signed up to Virgin Media's 10mb broadband and I'm very impressed. They sent the modem next day and after a few hours of me deciding the best way to get the cable upstairs i'm all up and running.

I've spoken to tech support a few times and they have quickly resolved the problem. The speeds seem good, it nearly always seems to max out. I know its still early days but so far im very impressed.

Kits

Super Moderator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Some areas are oversubscribed and they are always putting back dates for updating my area was bad. Cable would drop from 2meg to 512k in evening and weekends now on adsl much faster and congestion not like cable.

onephat

ULTIMATE Member
Mark, I'm in Leicestershire so its an Ex NTL or Ex Ex Diamond Cable networked area. I live in a relatively small town which by the sounds of talking to people has a lot of adsl users.
I've done speed tests/download tests at various times of the day and speeds seem quite solid. I guess time will tell though.

Kits

Super Moderator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Onephat if it is a small town then speeds will be good try being in a town Like Manchester there is a large difference of users making peak time speeds hell for some. I also had issues with them messing with updates wherer for no reason my internet would be blocked and trust me trying to get this through to Indian tech support is liek banging your head on a brick wall. I sent screenshots of this through it started to happen monthly then fortnightly. I just gave up after over 7 years as a customer then links into them deploying Phorm spyware selling clicks to advertisers made me decide paying for BT line was worth it to move to a smaller ISP that wouldnt sell my clicks.

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Sounds good, perhaps one day they'll put some real effort into the ADSL side too :) .

otester

Top Member
Main beef with VM is the traffic management system and spying on people for the media agencies for downloading their content.

However even with the 20Mbps cablepackage, you could still rack up 2.6TB a month taking the current traffic management system into account.

So if you're using encrypted services it's not bad value at all (assuming you don't get any fault problems).

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Vodafone £19.00 (*22.00)
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • NOW £20.00 (*32.00)
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £20.00 (*25.00)
    Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
  • Plusnet £21.95 (*38.20)
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £70 Reward Card
  • EE £22.00 (*30.00)
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Gigaclear £17.00 (*47.00)
    Speed: 200Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £23.00 (*26.00)
    Speed: 100Mbps, Unlimited
  • Community Fibre £25.00 (*49.00)
    Speed: 920Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £25.00 (*35.00)
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
  • Virgin Media £26.00 (*44.00)
    Speed: 108Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (3766)
  2. BT (3075)
  3. Politics (2006)
  4. Building Digital UK (1961)
  5. FTTC (1903)
  6. Openreach (1888)
  7. Business (1737)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1525)
  9. Statistics (1446)
  10. FTTH (1367)
  11. 4G (1315)
  12. Virgin Media (1221)
  13. Wireless Internet (1192)
  14. Fibre Optic (1191)
  15. Ofcom Regulation (1182)
  16. Vodafone (881)
  17. EE (866)
  18. 5G (814)
  19. TalkTalk (795)
  20. Sky Broadband (766)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules