Sponsored Links

Whats all the bad press about?

onephat

ULTIMATE Member
I've recently moved and decided to dump ADSL and get myself some fiber. I've recently signed up to Virgin Media's 10mb broadband and I'm very impressed. They sent the modem next day and after a few hours of me deciding the best way to get the cable upstairs i'm all up and running.

I've spoken to tech support a few times and they have quickly resolved the problem. The speeds seem good, it nearly always seems to max out. I know its still early days but so far im very impressed.

Some areas are oversubscribed and they are always putting back dates for updating my area was bad. Cable would drop from 2meg to 512k in evening and weekends now on adsl much faster and congestion not like cable.

Sponsored Links
Mark, I'm in Leicestershire so its an Ex NTL or Ex Ex Diamond Cable networked area. I live in a relatively small town which by the sounds of talking to people has a lot of adsl users.
I've done speed tests/download tests at various times of the day and speeds seem quite solid. I guess time will tell though.

Onephat if it is a small town then speeds will be good try being in a town Like Manchester there is a large difference of users making peak time speeds hell for some. I also had issues with them messing with updates wherer for no reason my internet would be blocked and trust me trying to get this through to Indian tech support is liek banging your head on a brick wall. I sent screenshots of this through it started to happen monthly then fortnightly. I just gave up after over 7 years as a customer then links into them deploying Phorm spyware selling clicks to advertisers made me decide paying for BT line was worth it to move to a smaller ISP that wouldnt sell my clicks.

Sounds good, perhaps one day they'll put some real effort into the ADSL side too :) .

Main beef with VM is the traffic management system and spying on people for the media agencies for downloading their content.

However even with the 20Mbps cablepackage, you could still rack up 2.6TB a month taking the current traffic management system into account.

So if you're using encrypted services it's not bad value at all (assuming you don't get any fault problems).

Sponsored Links
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules