Sponsored Links

What's included in ISP new line installation

endure

Not really a complaint or a problem - more a query.

I'm with Virgin at the moment and am girding my loins to argue about the price rise.

If I decide to leave them I know I'll have to have a new phone line fitted and am happy to pay the cost.

What is actually included in the price? Most ISPs quote £60-70 for a new line.

Does that include someone actually fitting new wires?

The BT wires that used to enter my house have snapped and there's no physical connection at all.

Will they send a bloke out to climb up the pole and fit new wiring? If so can I have them install where I want?

I think in your case I might be inclined to order the new line and then cancel Virgin once the new service is actually working. I say this because if your old BT/Openreach copper line has snapped then repairs will be needed, which could delay the process.

Normally most of the work happens away from your home, although an engineer will often visit to check that both a master socket is fitted (they'll most likely also put in the new NTE5C socket) and the line is operational. Much may depend upon where the copper line has snapped though and if it's carried overhead (telegraph pole) or underground (cable duct).

I fear they may not realise all of the complications until the installation day arrives. The engineer may then have to go away and organise another visit later in order to fix the cable. You could notify your intended ISP that the wire has snapped but I'm not sure if that would help, Openreach doesn't always have the most pro-active of approaches.

Thanks for that. The wire that's snapped is up a pole about 20 feet away. I'm tempted to get a 4G router if I can't wangle a decent price out of virgin. Much to think about.

Sponsored Links
Fixing broken cables on a pole is usually easier than duct work.

I'd rather they moved the master socket to a room at the front of the house. The current one is in a back room whereas all the current router stuff is in the front. It needs a new socket anyway. I've not had a BT line for 20 years.

You can ask them to move the master socket, although as a rule it's usually best to have the socket as close to the point where the copper first enters your home as possible. This just helps to keep the risk of interference down.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules