Sponsored Links

What's this big old thing?

gypsymoth

Pro Member
The black cabinets went in a couple of weeks ago - lots of dust and digging by Great British Communications I think?

Then all of a sudden, this massive tall thing appeared. Is it a mobile or broadband mast? The trees arent doing a great job of hiding it. LOL

There's also been work at pavement level from Hyperoptic and Openreach. Hoping its all related to the former coming to our streets (we;ve only got expensive OR)

it's the A10 in Hackney, N16 btw
IMG_9627.JPG

IMG_9628.JPG

That's an (incomplete) 5G mast, top of it looks like something Three would plonk down but the cabinets make me think more O2

Sponsored Links
aha! thanks for identifying it

shame, because Three are a bit cr*p. Need an EE mast!:D
Might also provide EE 4G but these new Three masts are nicely powerful, easily capable of gigabit 5G speeds and believe it or not usable 4G on Three :eek:

Their broadband plans would be something to keep an eye on if you're waiting around for good infrastructure

Might also provide EE 4G but these new Three masts are nicely powerful, easily capable of gigabit 5G speeds and believe it or not usable 4G on Three :eek:

Their broadband plans would be something to keep an eye on if you're waiting around for good infrastructure
That's a really good shout about waiting to see.

My knowledge of the broadband world is patchy, and I was just assuming we'd get FTTP thru conventional fibre from Openreach or Hyperoptic etc via the local exchange (about 2km away). If Three can offer symmetrical gigabit speeds, I'm interested

Sponsored Links
On my Three connection on our 3/EE mast, I get up to 600mbps down/100mbps up. Bit slower during peak times but still a massive improvement on FTTC (45mbps max) and £12 per month cheaper.

PS taking my mobile up close to the mast I can get 950mbps!!!

On my Three connection on our 3/EE mast, I get up to 600mbps down/100mbps up. Bit slower during peak times but still a massive improvement on FTTC (45mbps max) and £12 per month cheaper.

Good grief!

How much are you paying per month for you mobile and / or broadband do you mind me asking?

I was just assuming we'd get FTTP thru conventional fibre from Openreach or Hyperoptic etc via the local exchange (about 2km away).
FYI, Openreach FTTP connects to larger "head end" or "handover" exchanges: only about 1,000 of the total 5,500 exchanges are like this. The remaining ones will eventually be closed entirely, in the next decade or so.

Some Altnets use local exchanges, some don't. If they do, then they'll need to get their kit out in the same timescale :cool:

FYI, Openreach FTTP connects to larger "head end" or "handover" exchanges: only about 1,000 of the total 5,500 exchanges are like this. The remaining ones will eventually be closed entirely, in the next decade or so.

Some Altnets use local exchanges, some don't. If they do, then they'll need to get their kit out in the same timescale :cool:
Thanks, thats really interesting. Some of my family worked in exchanges over the years so have sent them this

Excuse my ignorance, but if say Hyperoptic wanted to provide fibre to an area, if didn't use a local exchange, where is the broadband coming from? Their own bespoke mini exchange or something?

We recently had Openreach come and install FTTP but I refuse to pay such high prices and am waiting for altnets to arrive. Other than BIDB, is there any more reliable way to track immient installs? Perhaps I'm getting impatient but seeing other local streams with GNetwork, Community Fibre etc. is doing my head in!

Sponsored Links
if say Hyperoptic wanted to provide fibre to an area, if didn't use a local exchange, where is the broadband coming from? Their own bespoke mini exchange or something?
It varies.

Cityfibre drop in one or more portakabin-style buildings which they call "Fibre Exchanges" or "FeXs": see https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.p...e-exchange-for-uk-fttp-broadband-rollout.html

Virgin Media have active street cabinets.

Certainly there are altnets which do rent space in OR exchanges, and I expect some will take fibre direct to data centres. As for Hyperoptic specifically, I don't know what they do.

Good grief!

How much are you paying per month for you mobile and / or broadband do you mind me asking?
Currenty I'm paying £17 pcm with the router (2y contract) but when it ends next year I'll get a pre-paid Scancom sim, which atm you can buy for £199 - works out at about £8pcm, although there was a Black Friday offer at £149. Cheap indeed!

Currenty I'm paying £17 pcm with the router (2y contract) but when it ends next year I'll get a pre-paid Scancom sim, which atm you can buy for £199 - works out at about £8pcm, although there was a Black Friday offer at £149. Cheap indeed!
magic

what would you put that sim in? a specific router within the house?

I use the Three supplied ZTE MC801a. I think most would say that the newer Three supplied Zyxel NR5103e is the better device though. Both can be bought for around 150UKP from Cex or eBay etc.

If you actually climb up the mast with your mobile, you will probably top 1000mbps ! :mad:

Sponsored Links
I've actually seen a peak of 1.6gbps from a site closeish to me, obviously direct line of sight but I really love that mast
When it works, it really does work well. Different in the town though - Despite a really strong signal sometimes I see less than 10mbps. I'm lucky up here I guess as the mast is less than 500m away, full LOS and obviously its not particularly heavily loaded.

Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £17.99
    Speed 33Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • UtilityWarehouse £19.99
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • NOW £24.00
    Speed 63Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £24.00
    Speed 73 - 82Mbps, Unlimited
  • Shell Energy £24.99
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Gigaclear £17.00
    Speed: 200Mbps, Unlimited
  • Zzoomm £19.95
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
  • YouFibre £19.99
  • Community Fibre £20.00
  • BeFibre £21.00
    Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Sponsored Links
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5388)
  2. BT (3490)
  3. Politics (2494)
  4. Openreach (2275)
  5. Business (2222)
  6. Building Digital UK (2215)
  7. FTTC (2038)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1940)
  9. Statistics (1763)
  10. 4G (1639)
  11. Virgin Media (1591)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1438)
  13. FTTH (1379)
  14. Wireless Internet (1378)
  15. Fibre Optic (1376)
  16. 5G (1215)
  17. Vodafone (1126)
  18. EE (1111)
  19. TalkTalk (927)
  20. O2 (916)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules