Sponsored Links

Where do I find the VOIP access details for new BT Digital voice

KarlStraw

I have just had the new FTTP and Digital voice installed and so far so good.

The new number was what we wanted and the FTTP at 1G is great for business and my work phone and laptop Softphone work great.

Now I want to add the BT line onto my Cisco desk VOIP phone and also install a Softphone for my laptop for when I'm not at my desk at home.

Where are the details of the VOIP line available from?

EDIT : See answer below

Last edited:
When you find the answer could you add it to this thread.

That's a good question Karl, particularly since I wonder if BT may try to keep this stuff hidden so that they can retain full control via their own kit and software. The best thing to do is ask the ISP and see what they say.

Sponsored Links
BT will NOT give you the SIP login credentials for their Digital Voice service. I must have asked them at least a million times for this but told to get lost every time.

So you are either forced to use the BT router for DV (if on BT Residential) or use the BT supplied IP DECT handset with a router of your choice (if on BT Business).

^^^
for me I have to use the port on the ONT, BT router stayed in its box, residential here, new build, FTTP only to the house.

The answer is that the technology is so new to the home broadband support team that they do not know. As you can do it with the business hub then it is possible but the home support team were very helpful but ultimately unable to provide the details. They have given me a contact in BT to try to get the information from and are sure it can be done BUT right now they have no idea how to do it. I'll post again if I get a response.

As an aside I have started to decode the BT Smart Hub code and settings so may be able to tell you have to get it once I've worked through the information I've gathered.

Sponsored Links
It is my understanding that BT have maintained a clear distinction between Business and Residential products. The BT Consumer help desk cannot be expected to understand the Business products.

If its Business then the customer can either go for BT Cloud Phone (fully configured for small businesses) or BT Cloud Voice (greater than 5 lines). Both are based on recognisable VoIP and require purchase of either BT IP Phones (Polycom) or BT DECT base (Yealink). Any internet access can be used not just BT.

If its Residential then currently the dependency is to have a BT Smart Hub 2 and this will be configured remotely for BT Digital Voice therefore you cannot use any other Router nor can you use IP phones. The BT choice is either to use the ATA socket for corded device phone/fax/other or the DECT based BT phones. The Smart Hub 2 GUI does not allow access to the BT Digital Voice settings only an icon that shows whether the function is enabled. Configuration, number allocation and facility management appears centralised in a similar way to BT WIFI control.

It may be technically possible to connect a VoIP phone to BT Digital Voice but certainly currently BT appear to be negative to this and any alternatives in their T&Cs. Whether this is wise long term with customer retention and DECT performance we will see.

Last edited:
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules