Sponsored Links

Which ADSL modem router do you use?

Kits

ULTIMATE Member
This is more a thread to help member spot which routers are working best on the new technology.

Please post like a review so others can find this helpful when moving to ADSL2+ BT or LLU.

I have so far tested two out with the Draytek out performing the latest Belkin n1 Vision yet both failing to deliver the speeds.

I will post both with full details later what would hep is if members posted the router make, model, ATT, SNR and sync with a little information on how thye found the router working any problems etc.

Thanks all.

Netgear 834 .Easy to install ,easy to operate .If you have to re-install for any reason all the information is there in it`s memory ,and finds your ISP in seconds

There's another topic like this from when I asked for feedback about adding a connection hardware section to our reviews system, though I don't have the direct link just this second. For the record I'll add that section next after completing the new Jargon system, hopefully this month or next.

Sponsored Links
Draytek 2800VG

On adslmax this router performed well with sync above what BT said my line could maintain.

Code:
adsl stat
  --------------------------- ATU-R Info (annex A) ----------------------------
   Running Mode            :    G.DMT       State                : SHOWTIME
   DS Actual Rate          :  7200000 bps   US Actual Rate       :   832000 bps
   DS maximum Rate         :  7200000 bps   US maximum Rate      :   832000 bps
   DS Path Mode            :        Fast    US Path Mode         :        Fast
   NE Current Attenuation  :    31.5  dB    Cur SNR Margin       :     9.0  dB
   DS actual PSDM(C)       : 00000000       US actual PSDM(R)    : 00000000
   ADSL Firmware Version   : E.67.2.55
  -------------------------------- ATU-C Info ---------------------------------
   Far Current Attenuation :    17.5  dB    Far SNR Margin       :    13.0  dB
   CO ITU Version[0]       : 00000000       CO ITU Version[1]    : 00000000
   DSLAM CHIPSET VENDOR    : < Unknown >

Same router once moving over to ADSL2+ LLU

Code:
adsl status
 --------------------------- ATU-R Info (annex A) ----------------------------
  Running Mode            :   ADSL2+       State                : SHOWTIME
  DS Actual Rate          :  1776900 bps   US Actual Rate       :   807800 bps
  DS maximum Rate         :  1776900 bps   US maximum Rate      :   807800 bps
  DS Path Mode            :  Interleave    US Path Mode         :  Interleave
  NE Current Attenuation  :    17.0  dB    Cur SNR Margin       :    10.0  dB
  DS actual PSDM(C)       : 00000000       US actual PSDM(R)    : 00000000
  ADSL Firmware Version   : E.67.2.55
 -------------------------------- ATU-C Info ---------------------------------
  Far Current Attenuation :    20.0  dB    Far SNR Margin       :    11.0  dB
  CO ITU Version[0]       : 00000000       CO ITU Version[1]    : 00000000

I bought the Belkin N1 Vision thinking it had the broadcom chip as they seemed to work best on ADSL2+. The results with this are not good considering the price of this router, looks might be new and blend well in living rooms but fails to deliver speeds ADSL2+ offer. This router uses Atheros AR7141 processor which haven't performed over ADSL2+.

Code:
Channel: FAST, Upstream rate = 1023 Kbps, Downstream rate = 5255 Kbps
Link Power State: L0
Mode:			ADSL2+
Channel:		Fast
Trellis:		U:ON /D:ON
Line Status:		No Defect
Training Status:	Showtime
		Down		Up
SNR (dB):	9.6		6.2
Attn(dB):	38.5		22.0
Pwr(dBm):	16.5		12.6
Max(Kbps):	6208		1024
Rate (Kbps):	5255		1023

I know others with broadcom chip are on higher sync with ATT much higher than I have.

I use the BT Home Hub. It has one ethernet port naffed. There is a dodgey connection with the phone cradle so the phone refuses to charge unless i tip the thing back a little. The WIFI ariel also flops around like a bit of string. As a scotsman i can say with my hand on my heart that it has years of life left in the old girl.

Because my Zoom X6 was overheating and locking up, I bought a Netgear DGN2000, does anyone have any experience with this model, because I am having big problems with the wireless side of it.
Wireless speeds are AWFUL! My old Zoom would connect at near full strength and give me it's maximum of 54mbps.
The Netgear struggled to connect AT ALL, even in the same position as the Zoom; it is allegedly connecting now, at speeds between 11 and 80mbps, but my internet experience shows this be complete bollox!! I have had to come downstairs and connect with my laptop right next to the router to get a stable connection.
The firmware is 1.1.1, with the only other firmware I can find (1.3.1 and 1.3.7) being for the US only.

Question
Would fitting a Netgear wifi card help? All my current "N" cards are TP-Link and my laptop uses a Trendnet "G" card.

Hmm, playing with the antenna seems to have done the trick, it is now showing 78mbps and the internet actually works!! I was expecting a little more out of the router though, signal strength is only a fraction short of full; it is only about 30' from my PC to the router, with nothing but floorboards inbetween!!

Sponsored Links
Bugger!! It was obviously just a fluke, I am down to nearly nothing again, my bandwidth monitor shows a through-put of 24kbps PEAK!!
It looks like a trip to pissyweirld is needed (oh how I hate that place!)

£40 for a USB dongle, is it just Worcester or have Pissy Weirld stopped stocking PCI wireless cards everywhere??

The software for the Netgear dongles is a PITA, I spent hours getting it to work, then switched off and unplugged it, so I could permanently mount it in the chosen spot; but upon restart the buggering thing would not connect!!! I had to un-install, reboot and re-install the software again!!

To top it off, my step father has been having even worse problems with the WN111v2 dongle he bought, it took me 2 1/2 hours to get it to connect to his Thompson router, then when he downloaded the updated driver it corrupted everything.
The add/remove files were gone and it was trying to connect on channel 8.11 BILLION!!

Even after a manual un-install, a clean-out of the registry and a reboot, it still took a "Restore" roll-back and 2 attempts to get the "old" software to load again; and the dongle then spent 20 minutes pi$$ing about between channel 6 (full signal) and channel 11 (no signal).
ANOTHER evening wasted.
In my opinion, stay well clear of NETGEAR.

Hi,
I always use NETGEAR modems, they have many ports and never loose signal, the firewall built in is great too.
I have two PC's and a laptop connected.

l started with belkin myself.. swore by them until l got onto ADSL max, sorry l cant provide the make its been a while and all l remember is belkin.. in any case once hitting ADSL max based connections l grew to hate belkin with a vengeance because all you could do with the modem when the net started freezing up and the connection needed renewing was reboot it unlike Netgear which allows you to disconnect and reconnect without the need of rebooting.

back when l used it that happened regularly and since l was with AOL at the time l ended up testing out the NetGear DG834G at which point l found the glory of NetGear, since then l got myself a DG834N which l love and found pretty easy to use, sadly l havent needed it for a a year due to not being able to connect to ADSL however shortly lm getting a phone line put in so can post stats shortly.

Sponsored Links
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules