Sponsored Links

Which ISP best bang for buck with £30 budget

howarth4422

Casual Member
Hi, moving house soon and there’s openreach fftp or virgin available. There will be just me and my partner living there. The most strenuous thing it will be used for is some 50mbps 4k streams (only streaming 1 at once) but very little actual downloading apart from the odd game update. I do game online a few times a week with mates but nothing too competitive but a low ping would be beneficial

I was set on fibre but someone I know works for virgin and has sent me some family and friends discounts

If you had a budget of £30pm which isp would you choose given that I can get virgin m250 for £25.50?

Looks like £30 would get 150mbps with sky/bt/talktalk etc

Which would you choose in my position?

Thanks

Last edited:
I can get virgin m250 for £25.50?
If you're on family and friends discount you can get a lot better than that.

M350, Mixit TV and Weekend chatter is £19.50 Plus an O2 SIM that you can cancel off if you don't want it. And if you want to push up to your budget limit you can swap M350 for Gig1 (Meaning you also get the Hub 5 as part of the deal) which will bring you to £29.50. And signing up to VM doesn't have a price increase until April of next year now.

As much as I don't particularly like Virgin Media, if you can get the best discounts it is sometimes worth considering. Especially if you are otherwise limited to FTTC and wanting to run 50Mbps streams on it.

M350, Mixit TV and Weekend chatter is £19.50 Plus an O2 SIM that you can cancel off if you don't want it. And if you want to push up to your budget limit you can swap M350 for Gig1 (Meaning you also get the Hub 5 as part of the deal) which will bring you to £29.50. And signing up to VM doesn't have a price increase until April of next year now.

As much as I don't particularly like Virgin Media, if you can get the best discounts it is sometimes worth considering. Especially if you are otherwise limited to FTTC and wanting to run 50Mbps streams on it.
Is the speed still the same as advertised though if you cancel the O2 SIM?

Sponsored Links

Oops I meant fttp not fttc!! Edited the original post

Not sure if there’s different levels of family and friend discounts available but the best from the offers he sent me was that m250 for £25.50 including a sim but won’t be needing that.

It’s not actually someone I know personally so maybe he’s not giving me the best deals but it’s better than nothing……

So it’s essentially 250mbps virgin £25.50 or 150mbps fttp for around £30.

Worth paying the extra £5 for fttp given that we won’t really benefit from the extra speed from virgin? And if so which isp..?

Thanks

Is the speed still the same as advertised though if you cancel the O2 SIM?
Yeah once the speed boost has been applied you keep it until you leave or recontract. Same with the O2 SIM for the other way around. If you cancel Virgin Media services you keep the double data on your phone until you upgrade or cancel too.

Not sure if there’s different levels of family and friend discounts available but the best from the offers he sent me was that m250 for £25.50 including a sim but won’t be needing that.
Does this one not come up for you? Then drop the SIM and it's £19.50. Any VM Employee should be able to give you the same levels of discount for friends and family. Only reason it wouldn't show is if you're in an XGS Area in which case you'd be running at 250Mb + TV (No phone service) for the same price instead sadly.

Mates Rates Big Volt.jpg

But now you mentioned you can get Openreach FTTP rather than FTTC that changes things a lot. In that case I personally would be looking to see whoever of BT/EE/Plusnet can get you the best within budget. Right now that seems to be Plusnet 150Mb for £26.99 or 300Mb for £30.99 slightly over budget.

Vodafone will slightly undercut them if you happen to have your phone or SIM provided by them at £25 a month for 100Mb but as well as the slower speeds you're also going to get worse customer service than the BT Group's UK Based team, and a pretty poor quality router (assuming you're not going to be using your own)

If you had a budget of £30pm which isp would you choose given that I can get virgin m250 for £25.50?

Looks like £30 would get 150mbps with sky/bt/talktalk etc

Which would you choose in my position?
Vodafone 200/30 for £29.50 or if you want to stretch 500/75 for £32

Yeah once the speed boost has been applied you keep it until you leave or recontract. Same with the O2 SIM for the other way around. If you cancel Virgin Media services you keep the double data on your phone until you upgrade or cancel too.

Does this one not come up for you? Then drop the SIM and it's £19.50. Any VM Employee should be able to give you the same levels of discount for friends and family. Only reason it wouldn't show is if you're in an XGS Area in which case you'd be running at 250Mb + TV (No phone service) for the same price instead sadly.

View attachment 11347

But now you mentioned you can get Openreach FTTP rather than FTTC that changes things a lot. In that case I personally would be looking to see whoever of BT/EE/Plusnet can get you the best within budget. Right now that seems to be Plusnet 150Mb for £26.99 or 300Mb for £30.99 slightly over budget.

Vodafone will slightly undercut them if you happen to have your phone or SIM provided by them at £25 a month for 100Mb but as well as the slower speeds you're also going to get worse customer service than the BT Group's UK Based team, and a pretty poor quality router (assuming you're not going to be using your own)
Oh right yes it does come up, didn’t realise it’s possible to drop the sim, thought you had to have both for the full term. Is it a case of take the package out then drop the sim after?

Don’t have any other Vodafone products.

BT showing at £29.99 for 150mbps. Could be worth it for the better customer service and presumably half decent router….?

Sponsored Links
Vodafone 200/30 for £29.50 or if you want to stretch 500/75 for £32
I read something on here about Vodafone’s routing can be strange. Would that affect ping times? Enough to be noticeable for a casual gamer? How are their routers? Also isn’t their customer service meant to be terrible? Thanks

I read something on here about Vodafone’s routing can be strange. Would that affect ping times? Enough to be noticeable for a casual gamer? How are their routers? Also isn’t their customer service meant to be terrible? Thanks
They are cheap for a reason and support shows, same with most budget ISPs.
But honestly I've used for a while as a casual online gamers myself in Scotland and have had no issues. I don't use their router but it's a fairly solid ISP router from what I've heard

BT showing at £29.99 for 150mbps. Could be worth it for the better customer service and presumably half decent router….?
BT/Plusnet/EE Is all the same company. You'll get what is essentially the same router, same customer service agents, and same internet connection nowadays. That same 150Mb package is a bit cheaper from the Plusnet brand so I wouldn't pay extra just for the BT Name.

Don’t have any other Vodafone products.
I wouldn't bother with them in that case. BT Group's products are a better price and saves you the potential hassle if things go wrong.

Oh right yes it does come up, didn’t realise it’s possible to drop the sim, thought you had to have both for the full term. Is it a case of take the package out then drop the sim after?
Correct. Just cancel the SIM with O2 in the cooling off period and keep the Virgin services.

Every now and again Vodafone do their 1GB/s for £29 deal. Often it is CityFibre only but sometimes they offer this over Openreach too. This is the deal I would go for. I suspect probably easter is when they will next have it

Sponsored Links
Every now and again Vodafone do their 1GB/s for £29 deal. Often it is CityFibre only but sometimes they offer this over Openreach too. This is the deal I would go for. I suspect probably easter is when they will next have it
And you also get a £3 discount on top if you have a vodafone mobile, so I only pay £26 a month to get 1Gb/s broadband!

Have you checked if Cityfibre is around? Zen have great pricing for CF circuits.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £26.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £17.00
200Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5507)
  2. BT (3513)
  3. Politics (2534)
  4. Openreach (2296)
  5. Business (2259)
  6. Building Digital UK (2243)
  7. FTTC (2042)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1970)
  9. Statistics (1787)
  10. 4G (1661)
  11. Virgin Media (1615)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1458)
  13. Fibre Optic (1393)
  14. Wireless Internet (1388)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules