Sponsored Links

Which ISP?

Help!

I am On ISDN, and i need a good gaming ISP that offer UNLIMITED service. I have enquired into Fast24 and Freeserve, but am not sure if either of these are good for gaming?

5 hours a night is just not enough as i have a sister, who seems to enjoy chatting to her buddies on MSN for 3 hours a night!

Please help, and any replies would be helpful.

Ta

Michael

I just changed from Freeserve anytime to Fast24 alltime
I play UT online a lot and Fast24 altho maybe not the best...it is better than Freeserve for me :D
And with an 8 hour cutoff i like it:)

banditman? are you on isdn 64k? and if so how much better is fast24 over freeserve as i'm on freeserve and tbh it isn't very good for gaming atm.

Sponsored Links
the only isp i know that is truly unlimited access (i.e no cut offs) is ...aol. some people report good gaming performance from them, so i guess you could try them, and then dump them if the pings are no good. i think the US versions are better for gaming - certainly leaner - and that aol 6 is better than 7. you must have (hundreds of?) aol disks in your possession...

Go for AOL m8 but it has to be version 6.0.Don't ask me why 6.0 is better than 7.0 cause i couldn't tell you all i can tell you is that 7.0 sucks and 6.0 is truly awesome m8.No cut offs i average 50 pings in SOF2 and about the same in C Strike.All on jolt servers plus hardly ever any lag.I've tried them all m8 Fast24,Freeserve,Demon,Vispa,Sniffout and honestly m8 AOL doesn't just better them it beats the sh*t out of them.Other people might disagree with me but all i can go by is my own experience.The only down side(well which ever way you look at it)is version 6.0 will not work on XP only 2000 and below.If you are gonna give them a go don't even think of trying version 7.0 cause pings are treble that of 6.0(again i don't know why)Any way mate the choice is yours all i can do is give my HONEST opinion.P.S downloads are a stable 7.5kb too.

one thing i did find (back in the days when i used 56k aol) was that, wheras the optimum MTU for aol6 was 576, for aol7 it was 1500 - had to retweak when i used 7. perhaps thats part of the reason - presumably smaller packets will be more efficient for gaming on 56k/64k.
were several threads in the AOL forum here about US versions with how to get hold of them.

Sponsored Links
Some recommendations
--

AlphaPhe (Currently Closed to New Customers)
FireNet (More Expensive Package, 4 Hour Cut off)
AOL (bad gaming pings, but no cut off)
Fast24 (i'm going there soon.. and i seem to be the angel of death with ISPs, lol.. so..)
OneTel.Net (good pings, 4 hour+ cut off)

Might want to take a trial on AOL & Freeserve to see which you prefer. I'm sure the other ISPs would be willing to give you a test account, or maybe you could ask nicely and a member of the forums could give you some ping reports if they use the ISPs :)

<small>[ 10-08-2002, 05:24 PM: Message edited by: Ross ]</small>

Here you go mate ping using AOL 6.0(the one thats bad for gaming)
Pinging clarity.jolt.co.uk [195.149.21.11] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=31ms TTL=243

Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=30ms TTL=243

Ping statistics for 195.149.21.11:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 30ms, Maximum = 31ms, Average = 30ms

Hope this helps.Sorry forgot to add this was done just now and not early hours.If i remember correctly demon used to give me results of about 60.With Freeserve and Fast24 about same as demon.

<small>[ 10-08-2002, 06:03 PM: Message edited by: dkhars ]</small>

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by <Jimbob>:
<strong>banditman? are you on isdn 64k? and if so how much better is fast24 over freeserve as i'm on freeserve and tbh it isn't very good for gaming atm.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yes i am on 64k as fast24 tell me they dont do 128k yet but will be soon.
As for being better than freeserve:-yes i get 20-30 less now but also i get more packets thruogh than with freeserve also,and with a 8hour cutoff to fast24 alltime package:)

QUOTE]Yes i am on 64k as fast24 tell me they dont do 128k yet but will be soon.
As for being better than freeserve:-yes i get 20-30 less now but also i get more packets thruogh than with freeserve also,and with a 8hour cutoff to fast24 alltime package:)[/QB][/QUOTE]

You must have been using the FRIACO crap (0808) as I get 40-60 ping on the old one, trouble is the lack of bandwidth causing lag spikes when any action occurs :mad:

Sponsored Links
I am with Fast24. For gaming in the UK using there new Mediaways number is very good. If your game servers are not based on the UK then they can be pretty terrible. I play on game servers in Gilbralta, the ping for that is around 250-300 when for freeserve is around 90 ish. It appears that Mediaways have some very odd routing when it comes to outside the UK.

The friaco number is not so good in the UK but is fine/pretty much the same as free server outside the UK.

Therefore I dial Mediaways if in UK and Friaco if using outside UK. A pain, but until mediaways work out there routing will have to remain.

If you like News servers, the fast24 service can be pretty sporadic.

Fast remain noncommitall about how long they will keep there friaco numbers. If they stop they will have my subscription cancellation the same day.

I use ISDN.

Miles

I am on Clara.net, Bt Homehighway package. And I have no cut off. However atm I'm downloading something, and its going at a rate of 4.7kb/sec which I think is quite bad.

I was with BTopenworld until they cut me off (today) - I have since (today) joined with LObsterpot internet.

BTO used to give me counterstrike pings of 180-230 in general mainly 200.

Lobsterpot is giving me 190-260 even though they are nildram and reports are saying they are very fast for gaming. This isnt my experience. Freeserve and BT gave better pings than this and Im perplexed.....

H

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £26.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £17.00
200Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5508)
  2. BT (3513)
  3. Politics (2535)
  4. Openreach (2296)
  5. Business (2260)
  6. Building Digital UK (2243)
  7. FTTC (2042)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1971)
  9. Statistics (1787)
  10. 4G (1662)
  11. Virgin Media (1617)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1459)
  13. Fibre Optic (1393)
  14. Wireless Internet (1389)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules