Sponsored

Why can't my Mum get fibre?

zcobb

There's Virgin fibre right outside her flats but fibre is not on offer.

Before I say more, I have to say I think this is an awesome community - it has helped me stay sane while exploring broadband options for my mum in Coventry.

For the last 10 years mum has suffered through ADSL that gets 1.5Mbps down on a good day. Until I discovered the wealth of knowledge here on ISPreview I had assumed the problem was her ISP (TalkTalk). Now I know that no other ISP is offering her any faster line speeds.

But in 2017 I watched and took photos as Virgin dug up all the pavements in her neighbourhood and laid fibre. I watched them install a pair of VMSD1 / VMSD1i boxes outside (identified thanks to ISPreview - snapshots below).2019-mount-nod-boxes.jpg2017-virgin-mount-nod.jpg

Yet we have waited in vain for the Virgin literature about how mum can sign up. Recently, my wife and I rented a house about 400 yards from mum and we got Virgin fibre (M350) no problem.

What I hope to get from posting this question is some understanding of why mum, living in CV5 7JL, can't get fibre even though it is on tap in CV5 7HJ.

Any input much appreciated - Stephen

p.s. I was writing about UK telecoms for PC Magazine (UK) in the early 90s when internet started to become a thing and hardly anybody had a good connection. Then we moved to the states. I recently returned to the UK to find this weird situation some people have great internet, while their neighbours can't even watch Netflix.
2019-mount-nod-boxes.jpg2017-virgin-mount-nod.jpg

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Curious, that appears to be one of those odd pockets where you can find both Openreach's FTTP and Virgin's DOCSIS/FTTP nearby but seemingly not in that specific area. Cityfibre are also building FTTP in Coventry but they're not in that area yet. Is her location prone to flooding or anything like that?

I had a look at some plans for the next 12 months and couldn't see her postcode, although all three of the aforementioned operators are currently working to extend or upgrade their networks in the city.

However if you input her postcode on Openreach's fibre checker then it says to expect FTTP "soon" (note: OR have a somewhat.. flexible definition of what "soon" means), so it's probably worth getting her interest registered there, as well as on Virgin's site.

In the meantime you could always consider a 4G Mobile Broadband service.

zcobb

Thanks Mark - very helpful. I thought I was maybe missing something.

We will probably set up a 4G hotspot for her. (She might be 90 but she's a serious net user, frequent Skyper, and only recently handed over digital publication of the church magazine to someone younger.)

Happy New Year,

Stephen

Captain_Cretin

ULTIMATE Member
Thanks Mark - very helpful. I thought I was maybe missing something.

We will probably set up a 4G hotspot for her. (She might be 90 but she's a serious net user, frequent Skyper, and only recently handed over digital publication of the church magazine to someone younger.)

Happy New Year,

Stephen
Have you seem the £10 unlimited Mobile offer from Three on the ISPR deals page?

sammachin

@zcobb, the key words you mention in you post is "her flats" I assume you're Mother is in some kind of elderly living, sheltered hosing etc. I guess that Virgin have failed (or haven't tried) to get the wayleave access to this block, they perhaps naively assumed that there wouldn't be the demand for fast interst amoungst the elderly, although I would have thought they were great customers for the TV package.
Installing cable service into flats is more complex than private homes as you have to get permission from whoever manages the block and go through communal areas etc.
It might be worth approaching the management company for the blocks and see if they're interested in helping, or indeed they could be the ones blocking Virgin the first place, usually most management co's see wayleaves as extra hassle for them without any benefit to them :(

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £19.95 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo Code: FEB2020
  • Post Office £20.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Vodafone £21.95
    Avg. Speed 63Mbps, Unlimited
  • SSE £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • xln telecom £22.74 (*47.94)
    Avg. Speed 66Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2617)
  2. FTTP (2407)
  3. FTTC (1712)
  4. Building Digital UK (1649)
  5. Politics (1507)
  6. Openreach (1487)
  7. Business (1304)
  8. FTTH (1197)
  9. Statistics (1140)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1103)
  11. Fibre Optic (1008)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (959)
  13. 4G (953)
  14. Wireless Internet (951)
  15. Virgin Media (910)
  16. EE (630)
  17. Sky Broadband (624)
  18. TalkTalk (607)
  19. Vodafone (574)
  20. 3G (431)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules