Sponsored Links

Why do NOW Broadband force you to use their Router?

Should this be illegal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Does anyone know how to get username etc from the NOW tv hub and i have an edgerouter i want to use? Thanks!
This may work for you:

Apparently the correct username and password are no longer needed

User of now broadband, quite happily using my own router on their service with the now router still in its original box

Hi Guys, sorry to revive an old thread. I am using Netgear d7000 with now broadband (funny its called fibre but its only 50meg download and 12 meg upload).

But it needs to be rebooted every 24 hrs, does anyone have the same problem?
Also, what router have you used that works?

I have managed to get the Username and other details via. wireshark, so that's not the issue, my netgear D7000 works perfectly fine in the modem mode, but every 24 hrs 40 mins exactly it loses internet and have to reboot it, without any ethernet wires connected and it works fine.

My suspicion is that its got to do something with the DHCP lease that it gets from the ISP and after it expires, it is not able to renew maybe coz its not a nowtv router? Any insights will be most welcome :)

Hi Guys, sorry to revive an old thread. I am using Netgear d7000 with now broadband (funny its called fibre but its only 50meg download and 12 meg upload).

I have managed to get the Username and other details via. wireshark, so that's not the issue, my netgear D7000 works perfectly fine in the modem mode, but every 24 hrs 40 mins exactly it loses internet and have to reboot it, without any ethernet wires connected and it works fine.

My suspicion is that its got to do something with the DHCP lease that it gets from the ISP and after it expires, it is not able to renew maybe coz its not a nowtv router? Any insights will be most welcome :)
I'm not sure, I never ended up joining now broadband. Stuck with BT for another 2yr. Got 9 days left on my BT contract as it is right now. Three 5G broadband has been solid until about 2week ago when my pings went sky high (260ms) and now I'm looking at moving to 1pbroadband because it's cheap as chips (unlike BT).

I was with NowBrodadband for four years and also convinced my relatives to join up too. I never once used their supplied router and neither did my relatives.

Use either a Zyxel VMG1312-B10A or Zyxel VMG8924-B10A and set them into bridge mode to connect to your vDSL wall socket. You can buy them cheap used from eBay (I bought mine for £10-£15 each) - Other Zyxels may work too, but back in 2015/16 those were the best around at the time.

Here is a guide on how to do it

Connect this via Ethernet to your main router. I used an Intel NUC with Pfsense on it for my router. But for my relatives I had Asus routers flashed with Merlin's custom firmware on them (you should be able to get Asus routers cheap used from CEX or Amazon's warehouse).

The VMG8924-B10A I got slightly faster speeds from it (talking like 3mb/s more speed), but its much bigger than the small sleek VMG1312-B10A so its a trade off over what is more important to you.

You can also go to Kitz forums and flash their custom firmware's onto them to get jumbo frames support etc.

I had this above setup also when I was with BT, Sky and Plusnet too. The Zyxels are amazing routers. I got much better speeds out of them than any other router/modem connected to my socket.

I was with NowBrodadband for four years and also convinced my relatives to join up too. I never once used their supplied router and neither did my relatives.

Use either a Zyxel VMG1312-B10A or Zyxel VMG8924-B10A and set them into bridge mode to connect to your vDSL wall socket. You can buy them cheap used from eBay (I bought mine for £10-£15 each) - Other Zyxels may work too, but back in 2015/16 those were the best around at the time.

Here is a guide on how to do it

Connect this via Ethernet to your main router. I used an Intel NUC with Pfsense on it for my router. But for my relatives I had Asus routers flashed with Merlin's custom firmware on them (you should be able to get Asus routers cheap used from CEX or Amazon's warehouse).

The VMG8924-B10A I got slightly faster speeds from it (talking like 3mb/s more speed), but its much bigger than the small sleek VMG1312-B10A so its a trade off over what is more important to you.

You can also go to Kitz forums and flash their custom firmware's onto them to get jumbo frames support etc.

I had this above setup also when I was with BT, Sky and Plusnet too. The Zyxels are amazing routers. I got much better speeds out of them than any other router/modem connected to my socket.
Thanks, what about ZyXEL VMG8324-B10A ? I see a lot more of these ones on ebay. any difference between this one and the 1312, 8924 ?

Sponsored Links
Thanks, what about ZyXEL VMG8324-B10A ? I see a lot more of these ones on ebay. any difference between this one and the 1312, 8924 ?
The link to the guide to put the router into bridge mode seems to now be for the VMG-8324-B10A so this should work for what you need.

If you mean if its a better router. You could try asking on Kitz forums what is the best Zyxel to have for bridge mode as they really know this stuff about routers (like I say its them who create all these custom firmware's for all of these routers)

I use a Plusnet hub one / BT home hub 5 Type A flashed with Openwrt with Now vdsl, previously used them with Sky too. Works fine on my connection, if using option 61, the ClientID needs to be converted to hex for Openwrt.

I have seen ones pre-flashed with Openwrt for sale on EBay, cheapest went for £10, although most sellers ask more. I flashed my own, but that requires soldering, or connecting to tiny pads on the PCB to obtain serial access.

I'd suggest checking you've got the latest firmware on your netgear, in case it is a bug, and checking your now settings.

Now/Sky will use DHCPv6 with Prefix Delegation for authentication instead of dhcp option 61 if you have IPv6 with PD enabled and you are connected to newer (native IPv6?) openreach hardware. No username, password, or clientid required.

Now/Sky will use DHCPv6 with Prefix Delegation for authentication instead of dhcp option 61 if you have IPv6 with PD enabled and you are connected to newer (native IPv6?) openreach hardware. No username, password, or clientid required.
Is this authentication or actually unauthenticated physical access?

Is this authentication or actually unauthenticated physical access?
There's a post by a Sky employee about it here:- https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadb...-with-FTTP/m-p/3550951/highlight/true#M219779

I read in another post that the client id is replaced by a unique line identifier at openreach's end, or added to DHCPv6.

However, I just tried a few tests as I'd added option 61 to my settings over a year ago, and today it requires a dhcp v4 clientid to be present. It also now seems to be fussy about either the client ID format, or length, which didn't used to matter even if ipv6 was disabled.

I previously used to connected with no DHCPv4 option 61 ClientID present, which worked providing IPv6 was enabled. Had also worked on Sky vdsl.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules