Sponsored Links

WiFi 6 router suggestion

dabigm

ULTIMATE Member
Hi Everyone.

I'm in the market for some new WiFi APs. (I don't really need routers, but most of them are these days). Currently using the BT Whole Home WiFi discs and they were good, but they're just old now and not particularly fast (signal good though) and very few options to play with.

I'm looking for an impossible unicorn here:

An AP/Router sub £100 but does WiFi 6 on both 2.4 and 5GHz.
Supporting VLANs would be extremely useful for me.
Ability to run OpenWRT or something similar.
Wired backhaul.

Here's what i've looked at:

Belkin RT3200 - £49 on ebuyer. But LOADS of complaints about it. Only beta support in OpenWRT and lots of complaints there too about stability. No WiFi 6 on the 2.4GHz.

Netgear WAX202 - Looks good, but people talk of requiring a subscription to Netgear for some reason.

Ubiquiti WiFi6E AP - This ticks almost every box. Except it's been out of stock for close to 2 years now so i've given up on it.

So can anyone suggest something along similar lines/prices ?

Thanks.

Good luck with that..

I'm still on the Vodafone thg3000, very fast, but would love something openwrt+multi-ssid+vlans.

Good luck with that..

I'm still on the Vodafone thg3000, very fast, but would love something openwrt+multi-ssid+vlans.

so if I can't manage to find one i like, i'm probably gonna build one. I found dell mini PCs that use like 6W of power!! (Wyse 5070) and If I can get my intel WiFi 6 card to work in AP mode that will do the job.

C0ht5eM.jpg

CfUMiRb.jpg

I was planning to try OpenWRT on this. But i'd really rather a purpose built unit, with more than 2 antennae.

Sponsored Links
That's nice. Do you know if those WiFi cards can do bean forming like a proper router? Do they have mu-mimo?
If yes, then it could be very interesting. You'll also need some proper taoglas antennas :-D

That's nice. Do you know if those WiFi cards can do bean forming like a proper router? Do they have mu-mimo?
If yes, then it could be very interesting. You'll also need some proper taoglas antennas :-D
Good question. But it's got 2 antenna ports on it so probably not. It's not listed in the spec but MU-MIMO is. I have this WiFi card in that Dell

I mean in theory, beamforming can be done with software I guess since it uses constructive interference to amplify the signal in a direction. But yeah it was a £20 WiFi6 card from scan :D I probably don't have the equipment to even test that.

Good question. But it's got 2 antenna ports on it so probably not. It's not listed in the spec but MU-MIMO is. I have this WiFi card in that Dell

I mean in theory, beamforming can be done with software I guess since it uses constructive interference to amplify the signal in a direction. But yeah it was a £20 WiFi6 card from scan :D I probably don't have the equipment to even test that.
Then I'd say it's not worth bothering with this project, sexy as it is.

Eero 6 can be had for under 100 if you don't mind an app and they can run in AP only mode too

Sponsored Links
Eero 6 can be had for under 100 if you don't mind an app and they can run in AP only mode too
The amazon one? Yeah I looked into that. Gotta say the new 6E one looks cool but the price is high.

Hi Everyone.

I'm in the market for some new WiFi APs. (I don't really need routers, but most of them are these days). Currently using the BT Whole Home WiFi discs and they were good, but they're just old now and not particularly fast (signal good though) and very few options to play with.

I'm looking for an impossible unicorn here:

An AP/Router sub £100 but does WiFi 6 on both 2.4 and 5GHz.
Supporting VLANs would be extremely useful for me.
Ability to run OpenWRT or something similar.
Wired backhaul.

Here's what i've looked at:

Belkin RT3200 - £49 on ebuyer. But LOADS of complaints about it. Only beta support in OpenWRT and lots of complaints there too about stability. No WiFi 6 on the 2.4GHz.

Netgear WAX202 - Looks good, but people talk of requiring a subscription to Netgear for some reason.

Ubiquiti WiFi6E AP - This ticks almost every box. Except it's been out of stock for close to 2 years now so i've given up on it.

So can anyone suggest something along similar lines/prices ?

Thanks.
I've been running TP Link Omada APs for a couple of years with an OC200 controller that assists roaming. I've only got the EAP245, so WiFi 5 but with most clients only 2x2 they will only get a link speed of 866 max anyway. I've got 4 APs in the house and one EAP225 outdoor in the garden.

To a local Openspeedtest server I can get between 500Mbps and 650Mbps throughout most of the house to 2x2 devices and 900Mbps to 3x3 devices. It's mainly clients that can't keep up not the APs!

It's been very stable and reasonable priced. There are WiFi 6 EAPs too, but I'd bearly gain anything to upgrade.

The Belkin RT3200 is the Linksys E8450, neither have great reviews.
The Netgear WAX202 was £42 yesterday, but both it and the Belkin/Linksys delete as appropriate are MT7915 chipsets:

The RT3200 is the 4x4 (MT7915A) and the WAX202 is the 2x2 (MT7915D)

You can pickup an Eero 6 3 pack for £149 with built in Zigbee if you want:

Amazon Prime day is a week away.

Sponsored Links
Been running a WAX202 for quite a few months now and it has been great. No idea what the reviews saying you need a Netgear subscription are about. It’s a standard WAP that you manage through an integrated web interface. Simple.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £26.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £17.00
200Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5513)
  2. BT (3514)
  3. Politics (2535)
  4. Openreach (2297)
  5. Business (2261)
  6. Building Digital UK (2243)
  7. FTTC (2043)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1972)
  9. Statistics (1788)
  10. 4G (1663)
  11. Virgin Media (1619)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1460)
  13. Fibre Optic (1394)
  14. Wireless Internet (1389)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules