Sponsored Links

Wifi connection to router vs ethernet..... speed difference

Hi. I currently access 3's 5G broadband service using a Huawei 5G CPE Pro (Balong 5000) router - I have to locate this some way down my garden to pick up a signal.
I notice that when connecting to the router using a cat6 ethernet cable (either 3m or 100m), I get c. 80Mbps down. When connecting via my iPhone 12 and wifi i get c. 250Mbps. Before I daisy chain a set of wifi extenders across my garden, does anyone have any views why i get much better speeds when connected via wifi?
Thanks in advance.

Hi. I currently access 3's 5G broadband service using a Huawei 5G CPE Pro (Balong 5000) router - I have to locate this some way down my garden to pick up a signal.
I notice that when connecting to the router using a cat6 ethernet cable (either 3m or 100m), I get c. 80Mbps down. When connecting via my iPhone 12 and wifi i get c. 250Mbps. Before I daisy chain a set of wifi extenders across my garden, does anyone have any views why i get much better speeds when connected via wifi?
Thanks in advance.
The ethernet controller is flawed in this router. That router also has WiFi 6 so your phone will be connecting at a very high link speed. You cannot look at the link speed I don't think on an iPhone. I don't really know how you would sort this out but this is what I've got: Sit the wifi extender right next to the router then plug a mesh system into the WiFi extender. The WiFi extenders are awful. Mesh is much better.

Sponsored Links
The whole product is flawed really. It's badly designed which is why they swiftly replaced it with the CPE Pro 2

Bad ethernet controller, bad firmware updates, bad 5G antenna design, bad 5G speeds, can't see some bands that are being broadcasted (Applies to 4G only).

I certainly wouldn't recommend Huawei routers personally, certainly the quality/speed of the processors used with the lack of firmware updates, its enough to put me off. (That and other considerations.)

Fair enough. Personally I am happy with my CPE Win H312-371 (which I think shares many things with the CPE PRO 1) and the B535 is not half bad either.

Sponsored Links
I couldn't fault my B535 either Lucian. Only pesky thing is i can't get rid of the three firmware but i can't complain as it was free with my contract lol.

for me its totally different i just bout 5G CPE router everything is fine but the strange thing is if i use wifi and speed test give me around 90 MBPS download speed and if i use LAN it goes to 900 MBPS its very strange i was wondering may be because i have old 4G s9+ smartphone and it has old wifi technology. This is very strange the LAN speed is 9 time faster also i tested by download 10 gb test file which was downloaded in 5 minutes but wifi needs hours. I have trield wifi laptop same result.

@isyaqoob the rule of thumb is that ethernet beats wifi, maybe wifi6 will change this, but so far this has been the case.

Sponsored Links
Go into advanced against the wifi link on your phone and look at the frequency (2.4 or 5) and the data rate of the connection.

Go into advanced against the wifi link on your phone and look at the frequency (2.4 or 5) and the data rate of the connection.
Screenshot_20210810-103055_Settings.jpg

Here's my WiFi 6 connection on my Tablet. Lovely Jubbly. :giggle:

That's with my CPE Pro 2 and Galaxy Tab 7.

I get 526mbs reported on my Draytek 2925AC, if I go outside and connect to one of my old outdoor 2.4G antenna I get 72 mbs.

I have found no difference between 5 gig wi-fi and ethernet from my B818-263. 2.4 gig is slower. But with 4g+ I'm obviously working from a lower baseline with peak download speeds around 160mb/s.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £26.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £17.00
200Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5508)
  2. BT (3513)
  3. Politics (2535)
  4. Openreach (2296)
  5. Business (2260)
  6. Building Digital UK (2243)
  7. FTTC (2042)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1970)
  9. Statistics (1787)
  10. 4G (1662)
  11. Virgin Media (1617)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1458)
  13. Fibre Optic (1393)
  14. Wireless Internet (1388)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules