Sponsored

will aol sue me?

yeharrr

Casual Member
I intend getting my mac number from aol and migrating to some one like titan. They are so bob now. Unfortunatly I have the best part of a year left on my contract. I didn't sign up to be on a talk talk network (dialbb update). I am thinking of just refusing to pay my cancelation fee after I move. I think I would have good grounds in court as they are not providing me with what I signed up for. This change of network came some time after I signed up for their broadband and phone bundle. I still pay bt line rental. What will they do, sue me or right it off when I tell them I am prepaired to go to court over it? I am writing this on an old computer I have got up and running - still using an old aol version (My ibm lap top is totaly internet less due to the aol update). I would go back to an old version, but it keeps trying to update and I have to keep stopping it. This old network will surley be turned off eventually anyway! Any thoughts/experiance?

Agrajag

ULTIMATE Member
Well, they can't refuse to hand over a MAC, no matter how much you may owe them.

As for the contract, if you have just been put on LLU from IPStream then it's very likely that you will have to pay a connection fee if you move in the future. A move from AOL LLU to Titan will almost certainly cost you £47.

Now you didn't ask to be moved to LLU, but the fee now means that there's a change in the service to your detriment. You *MAY* be able to cancel the contract on those grounds under the The Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999, which states:

Unfair Terms
5. - (1) A contractual term which has not been individually negotiated shall be regarded as unfair if, contrary to the requirement of good faith, it causes a significant imbalance in the parties' rights and obligations arising under the contract, to the detriment of the consumer.
A change that ends up costing you £47 is surely detrimental to you, the consumer. Did AOL state that a fee may be payable if you choose to move from AOL LLU at the end of your contract?

I'm by no means a legal expert, so accept my advice at your peril... :laugh:

Last edited:
Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £16.80 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Post Office £20.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • TalkTalk £21.95 (*36.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • SSE £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • xln telecom £22.74 (*47.94)
    Avg. Speed 66Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2587)
  2. FTTP (2362)
  3. FTTC (1700)
  4. Building Digital UK (1645)
  5. Politics (1490)
  6. Openreach (1468)
  7. Business (1288)
  8. FTTH (1168)
  9. Statistics (1130)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1087)
  11. Fibre Optic (994)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (949)
  13. Wireless Internet (946)
  14. 4G (942)
  15. Virgin Media (892)
  16. EE (617)
  17. Sky Broadband (616)
  18. TalkTalk (596)
  19. Vodafone (557)
  20. 3G (424)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules