Sponsored Links

Will changing ISP help speed?

After checking BT's Speed Checker the results show that according to my phone number, the fastest speed I can get is 0.5Mbps.

So, if I wish to change to another ISP (currently with Orange) then am I likely to have exactly the same speed regardless of whatever speedy package I choose?

Thanks for that info.

However, according to samknows, that answer throws up another question:

Congratulations, you are in a broadband enabled area.
However, there is another service on your phone line (e.g. ADSL, LLU, DACS, etc) that would prevent you from ordering a new ADSL connection.

What does this mean exactly. I know I have an ADSL connection via my Orange modem, so what gives? :shrug:

Sponsored Links
You could be on LLU, which might be why Samknows gave you that message.

Try ADSL24's checker, it might give a rough idea.

http://adsl24.co.uk/checker.php

Do you know how far you are from your telephone exchange, as this will be the deciding factor on what speed you are ever likely to get.

Don't forget our checker :) .

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/checker/

Congratulations, you are in a broadband enabled area.
However, there is another service on your phone line (e.g. ADSL, LLU, DACS, etc) that would prevent you from ordering a new ADSL connection.

That message just means you already have a broadband connection on the line, which you do (Orange), and would need to 'migrate' as opposed to order a 'new connection'. However, much would depend on whether you existing connection is a part of Orange's unbundled (LLU) platform or not because migration can work differently depending on that.

Generally speaking though you're correct, 0.5Mbps (512Kbps) seems like the best you could achieve although it's worth remembering that these checkers can be a bit loopy and could be influenced by the dubious settings of your ISP as opposed to real-world reality (your router stats would tell us more, provided you have a router). We’ve seen quite a few people recently whom have found their once several Megabit per second strong line profiles reduced to 512Kps for reasons unknown.

So if you want to switch, find some ISPs you like (many here would recommend IDNet, Zen, Fast.co.uk, O2, Be Broadband, Sky Broadband etc.), pick one and then start the migration process to switch.

According to http://www.ispreview.co.uk/checker/ I think I may well on an Orange LLU.

I don't have a router, just a USB modem, so my stats might not be correct as you suggest.

My telephone exchange distance is 2 miles, but that's according to GoogleMaps.

It just makes me confused that my local library gets 3312kbps while I get 128kbps, living a couple of miles away from it. Is this because the library is situated just a few streets from the exchange? Does this really have such a detrimental effect?

Adsl speeds do drop off with distance from the exchange.

ADSL_Line_Rate_Reach.gif

As you already have ADSL, the best guide may be to check the stats from your modem (connection rate, noise margin and attenuation) - if you are not sure where to find them there's a guide to some of the popular ones here :- http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php

If you have additional (slave) telephone sockets, I would also suggest plugging the modem into the test socket behind the lower face plate on the master socket (assuming you have that sort) and checking the stats to see if either the connection (sync) speed or noise margin increases. Removing the lower faceplate disconnects telephone extensions wired to it which tend to introduce noise via the ring wire. If it is inconvenient to move your PC to the master socket to test the connection, then disconnection the telephone extension's ring-wire at the master socket often produces a significant improvement.

Sponsored Links
Now I just need a less than subtle explanation.
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/broadband.shtml#3

Thanks to everyone for all the kind help.

So far, still no improvements.
But in case you're interested, I called Orange (yet again) this afternoon for help. Another problem I've got is that the connection keeps dropping. The guy on the helpdesk ('Martin' :nod: really?!) kept me on the phone for 12 minutes then explained that he couldn't test the line if the line was connected again (as it had done during the conversation) and suggested I call back when it drops.
Which was exactly what I just did.

Frustration is an understatement. I'm going to another ISP :mad:

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules