Sponsored

Will Three address mast contention? Lets find out!

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member
Of course it is.

Buggzy gets away with spamming the news threads and fora here without any answer from Mark and that's pretty sad.
I feel like the hate on one specific member is irrational however I agree on people who hate on three as a whole. I am not ok with targeted hate, especially towards people I don’t know. I know this is just your opinion but it doesn’t mean you need to voice it, especially when it’s about one specific person. It’s all a bit too political-like.

Last edited:

Lucian

ULTIMATE Member
To clarify my stance, I really like Three's pricing and their unlimited policies and really want them to succeed, but given the ongoing technical struggles (for years now) and lack of infrastructure to accommodate their ever increasing user base I think it warrants some well deserved criticism on forums.

As we know they have started to massively increase their presence, especially 5G, so I hope this time next year we'll have less to be hating on.

Buggerlugz

ULTIMATE Member
All I can say is Three has been aware of my mast contention for 15 months now, and its got worse every month since it started. I've called them, web-chatted, wrote to head office, they've rung me back numerous times, they admit it's my local mast contention and always say it'll be sorted soon, but it don't improve and they don't address it.

If I come across as annoying on here then good. Maybe you work for three and i'm getting so annoying that they are taking an interest finally? I live in hope.

If you have a great quality of service and fast speeds from Three then good for you, but the reality of the situation for three customers nationally is not what you see. The annual speed test surveys and customer satisfaction say it all, three know they need to invest more in an ageing infrastructure and back-haul and are good at talking the talk, but until I see a difference for me on my mast you're going to have to learn to ignore me in future Tim.

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member
Thanks very much, three!
Screenshot_2021-05-23-11-36-22-397_org.zwanoo.android.speedtest.jpg

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member
All I can say is Three has been aware of my mast contention for 15 months now, and its got worse every month since it started. I've called them, web-chatted, wrote to head office, they've rung me back numerous times, they admit it's my local mast contention and always say it'll be sorted soon, but it don't improve and they don't address it.

If I come across as annoying on here then good. Maybe you work for three and i'm getting so annoying that they are taking an interest finally? I live in hope.

If you have a great quality of service and fast speeds from Three then good for you, but the reality of the situation for three customers nationally is not what you see. The annual speed test surveys and customer satisfaction say it all, three know they need to invest more in an ageing infrastructure and back-haul and are good at talking the talk, but until I see a difference for me on my mast you're going to have to learn to ignore me in future Tim.
I understand what your saying and I don't think this targeted hate for your actions is at all acceptable (from Tim obviously) as I stated in one of my previous messages. Three need to get their act together in YOUR AREA. They are fine for me and quite a few others. They recently took my grandparents mast off microwave as it was only giving 20 meg and now it's giving 170. Its just a sign of things to come. By any chance are you in a highly populated area (a city or town for e.g.)?.

Buggerlugz

ULTIMATE Member
Not really, 5 miles out of a major town, a village of 8,000 people. Thing is, I can get 100Mbps during the morning (sometimes even higher, I've seen 200Mbps at 2am!) its in the afternoon it slows, 20Mbps by 3pm and by the 6pm it always drops sub 10Mbps, often as low as 2Mbps down, 0.5 up.

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member
Not really, 5 miles out of a major town, a village of 8,000 people.
Ah ok, same situ as me really then. Dont really know that there is much you can do unfortunately but your situations don't seem as bad as I thought.

Timboy

And there we go, the accusation I work for them!

JitteryPinger

ULTIMATE Member
This topic has grown boring, there is many reasons for issues on all mobile networks, Three just suffers more because of what it offers.

The reality of it is though, that Three are powerless to do much about it for various reason, the one that has jumped out repeatedly for me recently is that councils and anti-mast brigades keep refusing permission for upgrades or even maintenance.

Three and EE are currently stuggling to get permission to infill the area near me, due to this they cannot remove a temporary mast which is constantly congested and sees sub 0.02mbps speeds and fails to complete tests during rush hour.

Meanwhile other masts nearby perform well and have managed to get upgrades in earlier years, however I do beleive the other masts (EE/3 MBNL deal) took about 3 years to get approved also.

Three is proactively working to make better there network, more effort than other providers for sure, they are basically building a brand new independant network that they can manage themselves.

There is 4 network providers across the UK, theres a fixation on this one and I understand why, but to be honest if I was reliant on it I would find the better one and pay whats needed.

Last edited:

MrRaveyGravy

Casual Member
I think I'm in a decent location for Three, although there's a Vodafone tower closer to me (about 1/4 of a mile vs 1/2 a mile). The main benefit is cost though - Three is cheap as hell! Especially with cashback deals. Get about 25Mbps which I'm ok with, but that was tested with the connection under load (someone is downloading stuff).

It could be better. I work in telecommunications where I hear horror stories from Three customers, way more than other UK networks so there's definitely issues. Location is key. I keep having to tell people that if something isn't working for them, then it may not be the best location for their requirements, whilst they bash their forehead against the wall trying to chase the Mbps asking about external antenna. The price is too good for them to give up though.

Lucian

ULTIMATE Member
Three are beginning to light up their B28 this week... yep, using their 700mhz spectrum for 4G use (not n28 5G, or even DSS).

Take a look at cellmapper for the extensive coverage found so far 🙃
Whoa.. interesting!
Hm, so extra 10mhz (paired) for 4g, hope the backhaul holds.

Shame Mikrotik don't support b28 (also b32 :( ).

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £20.00 (*25.00)
    Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Plusnet £21.95 (*38.20)
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £50 Reward Card
  • Vodafone £22.00 (*25.00)
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • NOW £23.00 (*32.00)
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
  • TalkTalk £23.00 (*29.95)
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Community Fibre £25.00 (*29.50)
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: First Month Free
  • Hyperoptic £25.00 (*35.00)
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
  • Gigaclear £26.00 (*54.00)
    Speed: 400Mbps, Unlimited
  • Virgin Media £26.00 (*52.00)
    Speed: 108Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £26.00 (*29.00)
    Speed: 100Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (3398)
  2. BT (2984)
  3. Politics (1891)
  4. Building Digital UK (1889)
  5. FTTC (1872)
  6. Openreach (1796)
  7. Business (1641)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1443)
  9. Statistics (1388)
  10. FTTH (1363)
  11. 4G (1249)
  12. Fibre Optic (1150)
  13. Virgin Media (1139)
  14. Wireless Internet (1135)
  15. Ofcom Regulation (1126)
  16. Vodafone (822)
  17. EE (816)
  18. TalkTalk (750)
  19. 5G (735)
  20. Sky Broadband (731)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules