Sponsored Links

Will Three address mast contention? Lets find out!

Virgin Media...... You'd be doing yourself a disservice; ask some people on your street what it's like first as it can be awful. See @Mark.J's article here

I've only received a great connection from them in the past, the problems I suffered from were all billing and discount related, in the end them just taking what they wanted each month. which is why I left.

Looking at the kids zoom class right now, (and the number of times I've had to reconnect!) It'd be a blessing if they dumped me on the 15th Gavin!

Compare the meerkat is doing Virgin M100 for £24 a month on a 18 month contract currently, so they'd be doing me a favour.

your kids are still home-schooled on zoom ?
Ours were back to school on Monday.
All the bandwidth are belong to me. ;)

your kids are still home-schooled on zoom ?
Ours were back to school on Monday.
All the bandwidth are belong to me. ;)

After-school dance classes on zoom still currently....(via my mobile propped up on the TV using wireless projection to the Xbox)

So I just wanted to end this thread now with a clear answer to the question it posed.

Will Three address mast contention?​

NO. They'll accept its an issue, blatantly lie to you promising to resolve it by a set date and then do absolutely nothing whatsoever about it.

So I just wanted to end this thread now with a clear answer to the question it posed.

Will Three address mast contention?​

NO. They'll accept its an issue, blatantly lie to you promising to resolve it by a set date and then do absolutely nothing whatsoever about it.
Do you work for Three? I feel like you’ve taken this page out of their employee handbook.

Thankfully no.

As usual the three status checker reports "The mast you're connected to has a lot of traffic right now. We know about this and we're working on expanding the capacity of the mast to let more people use it. This should fix the problems you're seeing. We're aiming to have this sorted by 29/03/21"

So it'll say "everything is working peachy" tomorrow, then Tuesday it'll read

"The mast you're connected to has a lot of traffic right now. We know about this and we're working on expanding the capacity of the mast to let more people use it. This should fix the problems you're seeing. We're aiming to have this sorted by 5/5/21"

Here's the rub, I'll get 100Mbps+ 5-7am, then an average of 30Mbps from 10am-3pm daily, then it'll drop to sub 10Mbps nightly from around 6pm.

Yet I tried it at 2am this morning on the Xbox and actually saw 200Mbps on 4G+ (Bands 1 and 3) for a short while....

Go figure.

Last edited:
I think the Huawei ban was irrational. I bet if the US un-ban them (I'm thinking quite likely now they have a competent present) then a few months later they will get unbanned in the UK.

@Bubblesthefish6 .. It's not irrational generally speaking.. However I will agree that there's a lot of poppycock in how the decision was taken. China is not headed in a good direction (as far as the West is concerned). We are already in an embarrassing and dangerous situation where we depend on them for so so much, this should be "fixed".. we cant even manufacture our own face masks for crying out loud.

I was basing my thinking on the fact that if there was a back door, surely we would have realised ourselves and banned them ages ago and not waited for America to take action. Anyways make of it what you will, that’s my opinion on this matter.

Also, in terms of the ESN, why did they give all the privileges to EE? That basically means that when the mast in the summer overheats (It did 22 times last year) we will have no emergency services. Surely they should have let them have access to at least another network that uses different masts such as VF?

Personally whilst it sucks Three is incapable of improving its mast network, I've got to say its high time the Chinese government has a cost imposed upon them in anyway for infecting the planet with COVID, Hong Kong and ethnic/religious cleansing. The silence of the Western world is deafening when it should be ear splittingly loud, so if this can be viewed as some repercussion against the state then it has to be a good thing.

I'd much rather see our government putting billions into state run technology companies than HS2 vanity projects designed to line their friends pockets. How about a British Fab plant for example, this would give us far far better opportunities as a country moving forward.

I'm not sure the ESN runs on same radios as it broadcasts as a separate network, but details as expected aren't really public and I'm sure their is some form of roaming agreement.

Also from what is seen by customers anyway during normal mast outages coverage should still be possible using alternate masts, but all this remains to be seen I guess.
Yep, the coverage from other masts ain't gonna happen up here as I've mentioned before. They thought it appropriate to have only 1 mast covering each village (Apart from denholme which each end is served by a different one). That means that when one goes down there's f*ck all signal anywhere and we all just have a backup Vodafone SIM in our phones (they are all dual SIM)

Last edited:
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £26.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £17.00
200Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5513)
  2. BT (3514)
  3. Politics (2535)
  4. Openreach (2297)
  5. Business (2261)
  6. Building Digital UK (2243)
  7. FTTC (2043)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1972)
  9. Statistics (1788)
  10. 4G (1663)
  11. Virgin Media (1619)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1460)
  13. Fibre Optic (1394)
  14. Wireless Internet (1389)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules