Sponsored

Will Three address mast contention? Lets find out!

Gandi69

Top Member
Also your point about being under neath the antenna, the new 5g mast will be much closer to me so I will be quite far “underneath” that one too so I hope it doesn’t hinder things

Gandi69

Top Member
This is much better than what it was like earlier today at the rear of my house (only on 4g/3494). I’m seeing 40-45mbit now which are speeds usually only attainable to me at 4 or 5am when the network is extremely quiet. Looking back at my graphs around this time on a Friday night I’d be lucky to get 10-15 mbit at the very best. My Aping times have had 15ms taken off them too so now are in the 30ms range which is also very pleasing. I can’t imagine they’ll keep all these antennas in this area though, there doesn’t seem to be a reason to once the new 5g kit is brought online as i can’t imagine it’s cheap keeping them going

GavinAshford

ULTIMATE Member
Also your point about being under neath the antenna, the new 5g mast will be much closer to me so I will be quite far “underneath” that one too so I hope it doesn’t hinder things
Sorry, by underneath I meant that the tower block site is mounted high up - several dozens of meters - and you can see from cellmapper how far away it's coverage goes. Whereas the streetworls sites like the new 5G one is more like 15-20m - those are designed to serve the somewhat immediate area around then and why you find them in mostly residential areas.

Gandi69

Top Member
Another oddity to report but this is probably hardware rather than the network. I find my b535 will get these speeds for a few hours on 4+ then settle back into 20/25 mbit. I rebooted it around midnight/1am before bed as I wanted to tidy up the cabling a little. Speeds were great then as you can see it settles back down to lower speeds. Rebooted it again at 12.30pm today and speeds are back up.

1621079823429.png

Buggerlugz

ULTIMATE Member
Mine does this on three all the time. In the mornings I can be hammering my connection seeing 80Mbps+ and then it'll drop to sub 1Mbps for no reason, rebooting cures it immediately and it'll return to full speed. During 11am-3pm if it starts this lark I can normally reboot the router and it'll return to around 20Mbps, but after 3pm most days the contention on my mast is so bad it makes no difference how many times I reboot the damn thing.

Gandi69

Top Member
Mine does this on three all the time. In the mornings I can be hammering my connection seeing 80Mbps+ and then it'll drop to sub 1Mbps for no reason, rebooting cures it immediately and it'll return to full speed. During 11am-3pm if it starts this lark I can normally reboot the router and it'll return to around 20Mbps, but after 3pm most days the contention on my mast is so bad it makes no difference how many times I reboot the damn thing.

im wondering is that three doing some sort of rate limiting perhaps? You reboot, gain a new ip and you can get faster speeds until you hit the threshold again?
then again mine doesn’t do this in its old location on 4g not 4g+. Maybe I’ll test with my voda sim

GavinAshford

ULTIMATE Member
Out of interest, do you guys use a 'mobile broadband' SIM (a data only SIM) or do you use a phone SIM which just happens to be in a router (and has inclusive minutes/texts)?

GavinAshford

ULTIMATE Member
Also worth seeing if it's the reboot of the router, or the change of IP that's making things quick again - instead of rebooting the router, disable and re-enable the mobile data (or use HuaCtrl etc to swap/force bands - doing this drops the mobile connection each time and you should end up with a new IP too)

Gandi69

Top Member
Three Home Broadband sim for me. Thinking about it changing the bands seems to make speed up again, I’m sure of it because I was messing with that last night so it’s not going to be the something based in/on router itself in my opinion. Going to chuck my voda sim in mine now to see what it does, won’t need it for my mobile tonight

Buggerlugz

ULTIMATE Member
Home broadband sim for me too. Also works swapping APN's, sometimes the 3internet one can be slow and i'll swap to three.co.uk and that'll be twice the bandwidth.

GavinAshford

ULTIMATE Member
Home broadband sim for me too. Also works swapping APN's, sometimes the 3internet one can be slow and i'll swap to three.co.uk and that'll be twice the bandwidth.
And if you swap back to 3internet APN again - presumably it stays quick? Indicating it feels like some kind of time/volume based cap is being reached and then becomes throttled

Gandi69

Top Member
If that is the case then it’s not a truly unlimited service is if they apply rate caps. I can probably test this as I can move all my traffic off this three connection and run speed tests less often. If they are generally higher with less data transfer then that points to it

Gandi69

Top Member
Im doing a speedtest every half and hour for speed logging purposes, plus about 50% of my non latency dependant home traffic goes through this connection. Nothing is going out of this connection now and a speedtest every hour, lets see if these speed limits either dont kick in or kick in later

Gandi69

Top Member
Results are so far inconclusive, speeds do seem to drop away though and if you switch bands or switch off mobile data speeds increase for a while. I’m not pushing anything through it but a speed test each hour and it does appear to still be doing it

TTJJ

ULTIMATE Member
Perhaps it’s something else. Maybe each of the IP ranges is in a specific data centre or just something that’s actually different. When you’re creating a new session via reboot etc it swaps you to the currently most available, but probably still highly congested route.

GavinAshford

ULTIMATE Member
Perhaps it’s something else. Maybe each of the IP ranges is in a specific data centre or just something that’s actually different. When you’re creating a new session via reboot etc it swaps you to the currently most available, but probably still highly congested route.
This was a thought I had too, and perhaps over time that data center gets more congested, leading to the reduced speeds.

But saying this, I don't experience the issue - HManager reports that I've been connected (I assume with the same IP) for 32hrs and have used 52GB, speed.cloudflare.com reports my location to be just North o Winchester, which I think it shows where my internet exits (i.e. where the data center is) and my speeds are as fast as normal.

Gandi69

Top Member
Speeds do seem to be generally higher I think if the connection is lightly loaded. Download Speeds would be in the teens for me usually but still with these results it’s hard to say

Attachments

• 83D325BF-700A-449C-B701-94D050973F07.jpeg
    83D325BF-700A-449C-B701-94D050973F07.jpeg
    57 KB · Views: 27
Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £15.00 (*25.00)
    Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Vodafone £19.50 (*22.50)
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • NOW £20.00 (*32.00)
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
  • Shell Energy £21.99 (*30.99)
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • Plusnet £22.99 (*38.20)
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £70 Reward Card
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £20.00 (*35.00)
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £24.00 (*27.00)
    Speed: 100Mbps, Unlimited
  • Community Fibre £25.00 (*29.50)
    Speed: 300Mbps, Unlimited
  • Gigaclear £27.00 (*59.00)
    Speed: 500Mbps, Unlimited
  • Virgin Media £27.00 (*51.00)
    Speed: 108Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (3505)
  2. BT (3009)
  3. Politics (1924)
  4. Building Digital UK (1919)
  5. FTTC (1882)
  6. Openreach (1821)
  7. Business (1679)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1469)
  9. Statistics (1406)
  10. FTTH (1364)
  11. 4G (1271)
  12. Fibre Optic (1167)
  13. Virgin Media (1159)
  14. Wireless Internet (1153)
  15. Ofcom Regulation (1139)
  16. Vodafone (836)
  17. EE (830)
  18. TalkTalk (761)
  19. 5G (760)
  20. Sky Broadband (744)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules