Sponsored Links

Will Three address mast contention? Lets find out!

were you guys up there not getting a "grand roll out" from the all the major networks?
Not everyone lives in Glasgow or Edinburgh though Gandi69.

Not everyone lives in Glasgow or Edinburgh though Gandi69.

Very true!

I left my vodafone sim in the 535 last night and let some tests commence over night with grafana logging. I was seeing 160+mbit down which i'd be more than happy with. I did notice the SINR ratio on Three is between 1 and 7 db (at best) where as vodafone was getting anywhere from 13 to 22db. Would this be affecting the speeds to any great degree?

Screenshot_20210506-150431_huaCtrl PRO.jpg

My signals are really poor as you can see, this is with band 1 and 20 selected which seems to produce my highest speeds.

If i select band 3 on its own, I get full signal strength but a very slow speed.

I still prefer the higher than 3 speed with a poor signal strength though so I think it's still goodbye to 3 next month.

The best thing is you can just hop aboard the various MNVO's monthly and see how they are doing, wonder which one will offer 5G first and will I still be alive to see it. Lol

Anyway, my xbox games are updating much faster on Voxi and I can stream my 4K again, so I'm more than happy for now.

Something weird going on with three today in my area. Getting 4g+ on the 535 which is unusual to say the least. Im connecting to a mast much much further away when there are at least a few more more local to me that I should be connecting to, in theory at least.

im in the area circle in blue and connect to either of the two masts above the blue circle, usually 3494 but I seem to be connecting to the one circled in yellow which is quite far away from me.

Attachments

• three.jpg
    three.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 101
I've struggled to get over 2Mbps all day today on 4g+ bands 1 and 3, Three checker is reading RAN Capacity once more (as it has for over 12 months now), so yet again regardless of three's promises nothing has been done to address my contention still.

Something weird going on with three today in my area. Getting 4g+ on the 535 which is unusual to say the least. Im connecting to a mast much much further away when there are at least a few more more local to me that I should be connecting to, in theory at least.

im in the area circle in blue and connect to either of the two masts above the blue circle, usually 3494 but I seem to be connecting to the one circled in yellow which is quite far away from me.
Seems eNB 9892 site has had B1 added today (cellmapper reports it first seen today) - they'd have taken the site offline while doing that, and so you'd have connected to another (3495)

I've positioned 3495 - it was marked red (i.e. cellmapper tried its best to work out where to put it based on the data). I think is actually over near Blakenhall direction.

What I don't understand is how 3494 fits into the area, or why that one would be the one you normally connect to...

Edit: I've also moved 9892 onto the tower block and positioned 3494 at Betfred, which I think is where that's at - perhaps that explains why you're on 3494 more - its a much lower mast than the tower block site and probably the signal from the antennas on the tower block go straight over your head, whereas 3494 results in a stronger signal as its more level with your house.

Seems eNB 9892 site has had B1 added today (cellmapper reports it first seen today) - they'd have taken the site offline while doing that, and so you'd have connected to another (3495)

I've positioned 3495 - it was marked red (i.e. cellmapper tried its best to work out where to put it based on the data). I think is actually over near Blakenhall direction.

What I don't understand is how 3494 fits into the area, or why that one would be the one you normally connect to...

Edit: I've also moved 9892 onto the tower block and positioned 3494 at Betfred, which I think is where that's at - perhaps that explains why you're on 3494 more - its a much lower mast than the tower block site and probably the signal from the antennas on the tower block go straight over your head, whereas 3494 results in a stronger signal as its more level with your house.
You’ll see from the image the concentration of squares on cellmapper , that’s where I am with my house frontage facing due west. My router/antenna is at the rear of the house facing due east, or more accurately north east so I’m aiming for 3494 or so I thought.
if the I moved the router/antenna setup to the front of the house it aggregates with the 9892 and 3494 but the connection can be very poor like that hence it being in the back of the house pointing towards the tower blocks, where I assume the transmitter is or was. It’s all going to change come jun 1st anyway with the new tower mind you.

Edit:

I just looked at cellmapper and seen you’ve swapped the mast locations, might have to check this out more!

The tower blocks are what I aim my antenna at (as best I can) in the hope that I was hitting 3494, which is the one the router always chooses at the rear of my property. I always assumed the 9892 tower was the poorer of the two as when hitting that results were invariable worse at most times

Last edited:
I experienced the same thing last week. 4G+ appeared for a few days (first time ever I had seen it) and then totally disappeared. Now it's back to 4G but seems much faster. I wish I had a rooted Android phone with Signal Guru so I could see what's going on.

I also did a bit of walking around my area and took an Android with a signal app on it, it never saw 9892 once only 3494 which is the dominant one

I'm almost certain 9829 is the tower block and 3494 is the chimney at Betfred - there is a planning application on Wolverhampton planning site from 2016 for Three to add B3 4G to the chimney (it was EE alone before that).

I think you're simply too closeby to pick up the 9829 signal reliably - the antennas there will be designed to travel far and wide, rather than being downtilted at the local area, given there is the 3494 site to cover the immediate area.

I'm almost certain 9829 is the tower block and 3494 is the chimney at Betfred - there is a planning application on Wolverhampton planning site from 2016 for Three to add B3 4G to the chimney (it was EE alone before that).

I think you're simply too closeby to pick up the 9829 signal reliably - the antennas there will be designed to travel far and wide, rather than being downtilted at the local area, given there is the 3494 site to cover the immediate area.
It’s still strange how I picked up 3495 mind you, even in blakenhall there are masts closer to me than that by a good way. What I need to do now is move the router to the front of the house (luckily that’s where my network cab is) so I can see if this new band on b1 has helped improve things. When the new 5g mast gets completed there will be 4 EE/3 masts in what I’d estimate is a 1.5 mile radius of me.

I think I've placed 3495 appropriately - the coverage polygons look about right - but it could still be wrong; the area could do with more data overall.

While B1 will travel less distance (than the B3/20) from the tower block the signal angle won't be different so it too will still likely go over the top of you, and cover a large area.
I suspect the reason your connection (I assume you mean speeds) were generally poor with 9829 is that it covers such a large area/population that your allocation of spectrum would have been small (and as I mentioned above being underneath the antenna propagation patterns probably didn't help).

I do wonder perhaps that when the new 5G mast comes online if they'll then decommission the site at Betfred.

Moved the router and have hung the small indoor panorama antenna out of the window for now (it’s well covered from rain anyway where it is). 9:45pm speeds range from 25/30mbit give or take. Upload is a bit less than what I previously had but I’m not that bothered really by that so much. I deem that a good result on a Friday night when everyone is streaming or doing whatever online.

I’ll be going out tomorrow so I’ll take my Android phone with me with the cellmapper app and see what it finds in the area, I suppose that may help the cell mapper data right?

Also your point about being under neath the antenna, the new 5g mast will be much closer to me so I will be quite far “underneath” that one too so I hope it doesn’t hinder things

This is much better than what it was like earlier today at the rear of my house (only on 4g/3494). I’m seeing 40-45mbit now which are speeds usually only attainable to me at 4 or 5am when the network is extremely quiet. Looking back at my graphs around this time on a Friday night I’d be lucky to get 10-15 mbit at the very best. My Aping times have had 15ms taken off them too so now are in the 30ms range which is also very pleasing. I can’t imagine they’ll keep all these antennas in this area though, there doesn’t seem to be a reason to once the new 5g kit is brought online as i can’t imagine it’s cheap keeping them going

Also your point about being under neath the antenna, the new 5g mast will be much closer to me so I will be quite far “underneath” that one too so I hope it doesn’t hinder things
Sorry, by underneath I meant that the tower block site is mounted high up - several dozens of meters - and you can see from cellmapper how far away it's coverage goes. Whereas the streetworls sites like the new 5G one is more like 15-20m - those are designed to serve the somewhat immediate area around then and why you find them in mostly residential areas.

Another oddity to report but this is probably hardware rather than the network. I find my b535 will get these speeds for a few hours on 4+ then settle back into 20/25 mbit. I rebooted it around midnight/1am before bed as I wanted to tidy up the cabling a little. Speeds were great then as you can see it settles back down to lower speeds. Rebooted it again at 12.30pm today and speeds are back up.

1621079823429.png

Mine does this on three all the time. In the mornings I can be hammering my connection seeing 80Mbps+ and then it'll drop to sub 1Mbps for no reason, rebooting cures it immediately and it'll return to full speed. During 11am-3pm if it starts this lark I can normally reboot the router and it'll return to around 20Mbps, but after 3pm most days the contention on my mast is so bad it makes no difference how many times I reboot the damn thing.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules