Sponsored Links

Windows 10 and the double-click thing

It can't be just me, surely.

Why is it necessary to click so many things twice in Windows 10?

I don't mean that the behaviour of something has changed to require a double-click.

What I mean is things that still only require one click. But the first attempt does nothing. Without even moving the mouse and clicking again in the identical place, it then responds.

It's as if the event listener just goes away now and again.

Happens with so many things, but most especially links. Might be one line of text, might be a great big fat icon. Regardless, the first attempt isn't even registered.

Nothing to do with this site and it's not just that dreadful Edge browser either. It can occur with anything and everything, randomly.

Please tell me that it isn't just me..

Check the W10 settings for your mouse to see how it handles clicks as what you describe isn't my experience.

Sponsored Links
I do not have this problem on windows 10, my problem is the missing 8GB of ram there are 4 sticks of 4 in the computer it sees all 4 yet only says there is 8GB on win 7 it saw and used all 16Gb. :D

Ref: Mouse.. Highly likely to be faulty mouse, clicks but doesn't trigger the actual switch.. I've never experienced any computer do "missed clicks" this other than ones with faulty mice.
Is it a USB mouse or a touchpad?

Tom - www.mouselike.org

my guess would be a mouse issue.. lve had similar annoying behaviour from mice which have developed faults..

@kits
just curious, are you using a 64bit or 32bit version of Win10, a friend of mine had a similar issue, tho in his case he had no clue the differences between x86 and x64 systems.. especially considering that it showed 8gb (despite the limitation that only 4gb is usually viewable on 32bit systems) after getting him to reinstall with a 64bit version he saw all his ram.

Sponsored Links
@kits

As timeless says, if your system has the 32Bit version of Windows 10 installed then 8GB may be all you can see and you'd really you'd need the 64Bit version to get the rest. It's unlikely to be faulty RAM though as usually if that occurs then your PC wouldn't boot up.

I really need to add some bigger sticks into mine as I've only got 8GB and am starting to need 16GB for some big tasks, but sadly they sit under a MASSIVE bolted-down CPU heatsink and so I'm loathed to go near it due to the dismantle hassle :) .

When windows forced the regrade on my pc while I was not sat at the pc I was 64 bit now it is 32 bit yet in some cases says 64bit. I am loathed to reformat as no disk for win10 so that would be return to win7.

Attachments

• computer info.jpg
    computer info.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 153
Might be worth checking the settings and try adjusting the click speeds; you might be clicking too fast/slow for the current settings.

Control Panel/Mouse on Win7.

There is a little click box next to the slider that give a visual indicator if the mouse clicks have been registered.

This may not fix the issue though, as I have also experienced it recently on my Win7 box, so it may be something M$ have bolloxed up in an OS update/hotfix.

Sponsored Links
@kits

As timeless says, if your system has the 32Bit version of Windows 10 installed then 8GB may be all you can see and you'd really you'd need the 64Bit version to get the rest. It's unlikely to be faulty RAM though as usually if that occurs then your PC wouldn't boot up.

I really need to add some bigger sticks into mine as I've only got 8GB and am starting to need 16GB for some big tasks, but sadly they sit under a MASSIVE bolted-down CPU heatsink and so I'm loathed to go near it due to the dismantle hassle :) .

thats not entirely true, there are occasions where a stick dies and the system still boots, but its pretty rare.. so much so lve only seen it happen once (a friend of mine owned a comp shop we found it strange too).

l added more to mine :p my previous setup did have 16gb but l temped fate putting two different sets of 8gb together, this upgrade l went for a much better set.. not as low profile as l would have liked but currently have 32gb in my PC with a larger 240gb ssd

When windows forced the regrade on my pc while I was not sat at the pc I was 64 bit now it is 32 bit yet in some cases says 64bit. I am loathed to reformat as no disk for win10 so that would be return to win7.

it says 64bit on the screencap you shared or does it change? because generally 32bit OS's limit to 4gb. my friend didnt understand the difference between 32/64bit so for the past year he said its been saying he had 4gb usable out of 32gb until l told him why he wasnt seeing the full.. tho it sort of looks like the ram was reserved going by the image.. tho 8gb being reserved is quite large considering.. my onboard graphics only reserves a gig of my ram.

I've changed the mouse batteries, but it's still the same.

This definitely started with the first Windows 10 release.

Clearly, however, it's not a widespread issue.

@timeless it seems to change many programs are now saying 32 bit while others say 64bit but the amount of ram usable never changes. Windows 10 is a weird piece of software like an old unexploded bomb never sure what it will mess up next time.

not all programs are 64bit tbh, that relies on the makers making programs 64bit ready.. the only limitation l know of is 64bit is backward compatible but 32bit isnt forward compatible (unless things have changed).

@Kits

The apps can be 32bit or 64bit, which doesn't matter so much, it's what the OS itself can recognise that matters. However if you have 64Bit apps then I'd assume you're on the 64Bit OS and so should be able to recognise all the RAM, and if not then it may indeed be a faulty stick or possibly an old motherboard that can't report the stick properly.

Go to PC Settings > System > About and it should tell you what OS install you have, usually a few lines down from the top and underneath 'Installed RAM'.

Sponsored Links
@Mark.J I did all that all shows as 64bit annoyingly when windows messed up last year on upgrade left pc in cycle I had to reformat back to win7. When on win7 all 16Gb was usable windows reupgraded me when PC was left on doing work whenI returned was partway through regrade to win10 again. So far it hasn't killed the pc with updates but again my ram usable dropped to 8Gb. Motherboard is old it is the Asus p7p55d-e Premium it has not had problems with ram before possibly I might need to reformat back to win7 sadly if I need to leave pc running doing something win10 could always be forced back onto pc.

Everyone I have spoke to are unsure why all 16GB worked under win7 yet only 8GB on win10you can take 1 bank out pc sees 8GB then swap them over and still 8GB so both banks are good.

No logic in it at all.

Bets on it being a crappy Win10 mobo driver issue??

Some boards only recognise half the RAM slots if you put in higher speed RAM, have you done this, then underclocked it to get it all to work?? Perhaps an update has reset them.

@Mark, I have had issues where one RAM stick was bad, but the PC still booted on the other, so it does - or did happen; but the last time was possibly on a Win98SE or ME system!

question kits, is your version of Win10 the Home versiion? if so thats the issue. just took a little gander around and it seems Win10 Home 64bit is limited to 8GB physical ram (4GB for 32bit which is pretty standard), to be quite honest given what you have said this has to be the issue nothing else really explains it, youll either have to upgrade to Win10 Home Premium with a 16GB physical memory cap or Premium which has a 192GB RAM cap (tho youll have to check hardware limitations to jump to those regions as youll need a DDR4 compatible board for that).

if you do go back to Win7, drop me a message.. since mainstream support has been dropped not as many bugs are being fixed, having reinstalled a few systems since this support has dropped lve found its a complete pain in the backside to update, first time l ran into the issue my PC was checking for updates for 24hrs.. and this issue doesnt seem to of been fixed at the MS end which means you have to search for the latest update client and a few other updates which seem to resolve the issue.. tho to save more time there is also a rollup update which contains 200+ updates which also saves allot of time.

The update issue is a subtle way of making you update to Win10, they have done it every time a new OS has struggled to gain traction.

If the RAM limits are correct, then they have been VERY naughty, and a lot more people will have grounds to sue them.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules