Sponsored Links

Windows 10 help + tips and tricks?

hello everyone,

I have a Dell Latitude E6420 thats about 5 years old that i got from new. I have recently updated the system to windows 10 and don't get me wrong the style, lay out and all out use seems to be spot on!! i can no complain. But there seems to be one issue i just can't get my head around every so often the computer will just freeze at complete random times. I could be on something as little as google chrome and bang it freezers or i could be running Photoshop, VLC, Chrome, games, word (well you get where i am coming from) and no problem at all then other times it will freeze?? completely random! I have done a factory restore and still proceeds to freeze at random times

Dell Latitude E6420 Specs
Microsoft windows 10 pro
Version 10.0.10586 Build 10586
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2520M CPU @ 2.50GHz, 2501 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A06, 11/07/2011
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 3.88 GB
Available Physical Memory 996 MB
Total Virtual Memory 5.71 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.54 GB
Page File Space 1.82 GB

The bit that sticks out to be is the "BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A06, 11/07/2011" this seems very old to say we are in 2016? is there any BIOS software for sale or can i update it if it needs updating? I am not that computer literate but i can get myself around one.

One more thing if you have any tips and tricks for the new windows 10 or Dell just drop them below please!!

That is pretty much what i think you would find useful to help me figure out this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

As it turns out the Dell BIOS chip had fried due to over heating???? I got a new one from http://www.for-sale.co.uk/bios-chip (by the way awesome site) and got it fitted in the local tech shop!! Problem solved

mswindows2_2040.0.0.jpg

Thanks in advance guys

Last edited:
Visiting Dell Support and plugging in your model number should get you a list of firmware and software updates, including BIOS, along with any programs needed, and instructions on how to update the BIOS.

Random freezes are VERY difficult to pin down, but the fact you dont mention BSOD screens suggests something seriously deep in the hardware/firmware.

The last two similar issues I had were a bad RAM chip, and a PSU spiking and ultimately cooking the cpu, however checking the cooling system is clear of dust is also recommended.

Did you have any issues prior to Win10??

Dodgy Win10 drivers for BlueTooth and Wifi can cause big issues, but should give a blue screen (BSOD) error display.

Personally, I wouldnt touch Win10 with a bargepole.

Win 10 has been a nightmare for me Laptop worked ok at first but 2 months ago an update has it stuck in a loop. Tries to repair and fails doesn't let you get in safemode to roll back ready to replace back to win7. Large PC has had two reformats since moving to win10 works now but as long as you never power off. Win 10 doesn't work well with multiple HDD can also mess up if using SSD drive.

Win 10m is a load of microsoft rubbish hence why it was free upgrade.

Sponsored Links
l personally stuck with win7, got locked out of my laptop when l took the upgrade.... thankfully l created a pre-10 system image with reflect tho l was still left with windows 8.1 which l hated just as much lol. that said l obtained windows 7 Pro on amazon for £29 so now lm back on win7 and happier.

now for the issue, first and foremost l get the indication that the system was "upgraded" to windows 10, now normally l would never upgrade an OS unless the system was recently restored to a clean factory setting mainly because after a while windows gets clogged up and theres no telling what bloat has gotten into the registry which will cause issues post upgrade which is why whenever l install a new OS l will do a "clean and complete" reinstall from scratch to avoid such problems.

now issues that spring to mind would be looking at the process list to see if there any things in there causing issues like excessive amounts of services (l recently worked on a laptop that had over 150 background tasks which slowed it to a crawl).. as for the bios l wouldnt worry too much about it, mines even older lol and l wouldnt do it yourself as upgrading can be a tricky process which could leave you with a paperweight..

another thing you mentioned is the age of your laptop, its possible your laptop is too old to handle 10 properly and the crash is the result of your laptop just saying it cant handle the OS. tho it could be a BSOD (blue screen of death) but due to the nature of the crash you dont get to the blue screen error, admittedly it could be hardware related but it is just as likely software related its hard to tell from the information but lm assuming pre-upgrade everything ran fine tho it would be interesting to know what OS was on it before as it sounds like it could have been win7 or possibly 8 at a push given the age.

either way tho ld direct your browser to www.tenforums.com and join up and ask there, lm a member of one of their other associated sites www.sevenforums.com which have been pretty helpful when lve had problems that were beyond my experiences.. once joined drop over into the BSOD/Crashes forum and then download and run the DM log collector, from there post the file it creates as per posting instructions there and hopefully it will provide information pertaining to your problem which will lead to a resolution (note lve linked some of the text to take you straight to the forum of interest after you join).

(if the log collector is anything like the windows 7 one which l have used the information it will collect will be even logs, hosts file, driver information, crash/bsod dump files, process lists, windows updates and hardware information about network adapters. from there they maybe able to give you more information regarding any issues).

Thanks for the reply's!!

The (BSOD) has not appeared yet you are right and every time it freezers i have to do a hard reset which is not good for the computer. This problem never occurred before when it was running its original windows 7. I personally like the upgrade in general but if i have to go back to seven i will. I could just use this for work etc and buy a newer better laptop for the more fun side of life. I will sign up to them links you dropped in and see what they say.

Thanks

you only need sign up once, that is unless you want to join the win7 forum as well as win10 :)

tho like l said, it still could be a BSOD but due to the nature of the crash it might not be producing the blue screen ld normally expect. while lve not got a great deal of experience with win10 its one of those problems that sitting in front of the laptop would make some things easier..

I get ya, it has just happened again about 1hour ago, it would let me ctrl+Alt+delete and try to shut down the system but it just sat on the shut down screen for an hour so i hard shut down the computer again....

Driving me crazy

Sponsored Links
hmm, you could ctrl+alt+del.. that doesnt sound like a freeze to me.. definitely a crash but freezing suggests a complete system lockup..

the issue might be driver related, or something related to the OS itself.. tho it could be hardware its just too little to speculate with.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules