Sponsored Links

Windows 10 phone + SMTP-IMAP

Why doesn't anything work properly any more..

I've just reset my Windows phone in order to change the user (necessary, you can't just switch) and now, IMAP outbound email doesn't work.

There are a stack of unresolved threads about this on the Microsoft support website.

I've tried everything but this does just seem to be a bug in the Windows 10 OS. That said I've regressed it back to 8.1 and it still doesn't work.

It has something to do with the phone rejecting the server certificate. No combination of settings works. I think it might be because there isn't a "TLS" setting that's needed.

I'm just on the verge of putting the phone back in the box and sending it back to Amazon as "broken" as it is useless if it can't send email.

Before I do: has anyone here ever managed to get IMAP sending to work on Windows Phone 10? What's the secret ;)

Curious, I can't see why it would work before but not after a reset unless some data remains that's causing a conflict or the app needs updating. Also was this a hard or soft reset? The latter could still leave some old files.

Also how does the Windows 10 Phone system handle users? Does it connect to a hotmail / MSN account like the desktop version? If so then couldn't you login on a Win10 desktop, setup Mail and then login on Win10 mobile and it should share the settings. Just an idea.

I've regressed the phone back to Windows 8.1 and finally managed to get IMAP to work. It displays an error on sending about the certificate being invalid, but once you accept that, it works, after you've done the same thing about three times.

I would imagine the phone worked originally as I set up the accounts and then installed the update to Windows 10 which preserved the settings. Windows 10 simply doesn't work with IMAP. This issue has been going on since the middle of 2015 judging by forum posts. I don't think the first build of Windows 10 had this issue but a subsequent one did.

The fault with Windows 10 lies in that "invalid certificate" message. Once you "accept" this, it should work, instead it just goes around in a circle telling you to update your settings. It's a bug.

You can't copy all the settings from Outlook on the PC because the phone doesn't have the necessary "advanced" dialog boxes, in the same way that Edge does not have certain settings on a PC that IE did. The interface has been "simplified" and as such necessary functionality has been removed.

If I keep the phone as Windows 8.1 then you have the option not to automatically install updates. That's gone with Windows 10, so if I upgrade it, it might keep on working, or it might break again. You don't seem to be able to select a specific Windows 10 build (the one without the bug) to upgrade to.

So now I have working email but an ugly, blocky, older style interface which may well have its own bugs and unless I want to surrender more hours of time trying to make Windows 10 work I'm stuck with it; the ability for it to run Windows 10 was a factor in buying it. But that was predicated on Windows 10 working properly.

I think I'll send it back for a refund and put up with the iPhone (see other thread about router and blocking Apple updates)

Sponsored Links
Just a thought, and maybe not the same issue, when you did the reset, did the date/time reset as well??

I had to perform a BIOS reset on my PC a few days ago*, and forgot to reset the clock; M$ promptly declared my Win7 license to be invalid (I bought it legally), and wouldnt accept it even after resetting the clock to the correct time and rebooting.

I now have a "pirate" license number and removeWAT.

*Messed up an overclock setting.

Some good news (for me!!), I managed to get my FX6300 stable(ish) at 6.4Ghz (stock is 3.5GHz).

Dont worry, I backed it down to 4.6GHz for everyday use.:cool:

That's a good idea. But it's not that.

Confirmed as a bug by Microsoft. Windows 10 Mobile doesn't send with IMAP-SMTP.

Phone will have to be returned for refund.

I'll go back to the iPhone. Basically, none of these things really work properly.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules