Sponsored Links

Windows 11 minimum specs! Thoughts?

Buggerlugz

ULTIMATE Member
Here are all of the hardware specs that users require to meet the Windows 11 minimum requirements:

• A 64-bit processor at 1 GHz with two cores
  • 4 GB of RAM
  • 64 GB of available storage
  • DirectX 12 compatible GPU with a WDDM 2.0 driver
  • UEFI and Secure Boot capable
  • TPM version 2.0
  • 720p HD display on 9″ monitor with 8 bits per color channel
  • Internet connection
Personally think they're a bit OTT.

TPM v2 really kills off a lot of "pretty decent" early Xeon rigs and old work horse core2duo and AMD64 PC's too. It requires at a minimum Intel 8th Gen (Coffee Lake) (2017) / Xeon Skylake (2015) or AMD Ryzen/threadripper 2000 (2017) upwards!

The DirectX 12 compatibility requirement may be a bit of a bad idea with zero availability of anything if you haven't got a supporting GPU at Windows 11 launch!

Thats nvidia Kepler / Radeon HD 8570 or R7 240 or better!

(amazingly my god awful GT640 I still haven't replaced does DX12, so think i'll wait a few more months for crypto to die off!)

Sponsored Links
This checker for compatibility with Windows 11 is a little more thorough than Microsofts checker.

WhyNotWin11

Give it a whirl, It works well. :giggle:

My CPU is a no no, but everything else is OK. :rolleyes:

Mine failed boot-method (on a M.2 drive connected directly to Motherboard), GPT not detected, secure boot and TPM version.

Go figure!

It's a total mess so far me thinks.
Hope they relent on older processors. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Here's a the thing, take any pretty new Motherboard which is "UEFI and Secure Boot capable" throw a fresh install of Windows 10 and it'll default to a MBR automatically.....

Yeah, it's a mess alright.

my laptop doesnt meet cpu, but my main pc does. so i installed the leak build on the laptop, no problems what so ever

Here's a the thing, take any pretty new Motherboard which is "UEFI and Secure Boot capable" throw a fresh install of Windows 10 and it'll default to a MBR automatically.....

Yeah, it's a mess alright.
It is possible to convert an MBR drive to GPT in a few moments with no data loss and no additional software required, if your board supports it. Also I had TPM off in the BIOS, corrected that and am downloading an insider preview version of 11 even as I type this.

Interesting, I turned on FTMP (which is AMD's processor based version) and was warned I'd lose everything on my drive by doing so, so thought better of it.

I'm happy to stay with windows 10, Like how can Microsoft improve on perfection anyway?

Sponsored Links
Interesting, I turned on FTMP (which is AMD's processor based version) and was warned I'd lose everything on my drive by doing so, so thought better of it.

I'm happy to stay with windows 10, Like how can Microsoft improve on perfection anyway?
More ads and telemetry, of course. :)

I have an overly upgraded Dell OptiPlex 790 (my pride and joy xD) and that failed the windows 11 test as it doesn’t have secure boot. it does support UEFI but I would have to lose everything to switch to UEFI so I decided against it. the checker didn’t mention anything about my cpu strangely (Intel Core i5 2400). I’m in no position to buy a new machine as the dell runs like the first day it was bought back in 2011. It does all my photoshop needs fine so I don’t see why I should upgrade it to use with windows 11.

Untitled (3).jpg

Sponsored Links
Microsoft are totally bunch out of touch with customers now - they don't even damn care about you lots! They only care is new hardware & money!

I suggest all of you switch over to Linux!

I have installed Windows 11 from the "DEV" channel. I had to convert my boot drive to GPT which is fairly easy with no software required and no data loss. Obviously then you change the BIOS to UEFI and secure boot (otherwise it won't). I had TPM off in the BIOS so turned that on, add on boards are available for TPM I have noticed, however I think that requirement has been squashed for now and the MS checker withdrawn.
I did have issues with network adapters not being found, unable to uninstall them or shutdown/restart and so I rolled back until they iron out some of the wrinkles.

Microsoft drivers are always issues! Linux is all there for you! Every hardware will work! The drivers from Microsoft are stupid need windows driver signing certificate

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5470)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules