Sponsored Links

Wired ethernet to wi-fi converter

Cronus

Casual Member
my BT TV box only has wired ethernet (no wi-fi). I’ve tried various homeplug mains networking plugs (spent over £250) but none of them work properly because of how the building is wired.

Can anyone recommend a device which converts wired ethernet into 5g wi-fi?

They do exist but from experience they're not very reliable things.

This Netgear one can do what you need it to. Sorry for the US version of Amazon. Luckily what you need is fairly inexpensive but you use may vary with it because generally they don't use 5GHz WiFi but it may suit fine for what you need.

Sponsored Links
my BT TV box only has wired ethernet (no wi-fi). I’ve tried various homeplug mains networking plugs (spent over £250) but none of them work properly because of how the building is wired.

Can anyone recommend a device which converts wired ethernet into 5g wi-fi?
do yo use BT internet too? It might be worth buying a BT mesh Wi-Fi extender as they have ethernet ports on the back. Be warned though they only work with the smart hub 2.

Are you sure you didn't need that the other way around, ie convert WiFi into ethernet?

If that's the case, you need something like this which can "bridge" your wifi network into ethernet for your box.

That's a 5GHz version of the one I posted earlier on. I didn't realise that they made AC ones now. That would probably be a bit more reliable though is double the price

An old router with DHCP turned off. I use these as repurposed wireless points.
Some years ago I tried using an old BT hub as a wi-fi extender but couldn’t get it to work properly. I’d forgotten all about it. But I didn’t even know it could be used for the purpose I now need. So could I just plug ethernet from tv box into LAN port of hub and it will detect my wi-fi router.

Sponsored Links
They do exist but from experience they're not very reliable things.

This Netgear one can do what you need it to. Sorry for the US version of Amazon. Luckily what you need is fairly inexpensive but you use may vary with it because generally they don't use 5GHz WiFi but it may suit fine for what you need.
Thanks I’ll have a look

do yo use BT internet too? It might be worth buying a BT mesh Wi-Fi extender as they have ethernet ports on the back. Be warned though they only work with the smart hub 2.

Yes, I use BT internet but have given up on the BT hubs due to constant disconnects and problems. Ive had a few different BT hubs over the years, all terrible, but I now use a TPLink modem/router and everything is great. Except for this damn TV box which only has an ethernet port 😤

Are you sure you didn't need that the other way around, ie convert WiFi into ethernet?

If that's the case, you need something like this which can "bridge" your wifi network into ethernet for your box.

The problem I have is my TPLink router/modem is upstairs where the phone line comes in, my Humax BT youview TV box and TV etc are downstairs. The TV box only has wired ethernet and there is no ethernet wiring downstairs. I want some kind of device to plug into the ethernet port on the back of the TV box which will simply allow it to connect to the router via wi-fi.

That device looks like it may do the job, although it says it’s a router which creates a network. I don’t want it to be another router, I just want to simply connect to my existing wi-fi network.

Whether its a router or WAP its simpler if you ensure it supports Client Mode. As you say to log into your existing WIFI and present an ethernet port to the BT box. Old Routers/WAPs can be configured if you already have them and later extenders that have a ethernet port can be used but its simpler if there is a firmware option.

You need to be very specific as some product revisions and later extenders no longer provide a dedicated Client Mode even if an earlier version may have. Check model/version/manual.

You really don't need much speed just a good solid WIFI connection. An older TP LINK WAP such as the TL-WA801ND only supports 2.4 N300 and 10/100 Ethernet but this should be fine streaming to the BT box.

The TL-WA801ND is currently £15 on Amazon. If you want faster speeds then the TL-WA1201 is still under £40.

EDIT: Just trying to keep the cost to a minimum and a solution dedicated to the task. An extender rebroadcasts the WIFI signal which may interfere with other devices. If investing more money on dual band etc then I would recommend putting it towards a Mesh with wider benefits. All depends on the wider use of wifi in the house and external signals from elsewhere.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I personally advise against using the 2.4Ghz-only device. That spectrum is so busy I'm afraid the performance will not be adequate.

If you have a spare router lying around which is supported by OpenWrt, that may do the trick (if you don't mind spending time learning how to reflash it and configure it).

I still have an ancient Asus WL-500g which runs this way, although its flash and RAM are so small that it can only run a correspondingly ancient version of OpenWrt.

Sponsored Links

The white ones work with my TV, to my opnsense router no problem.
Tv -- eth -- wifi -------- wifi --- eth -- router.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5470)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules