Sponsored Links

Wireless problem

Dell Latitude D 400 with a 56K 2 v.92 internal modem, 10/100/1000 3 Ethernet LAN, DM
I spent a few hours trying to find a choice of connections at a library before it occurred to me that it may not have wireless connection.
Having read some of the other threads it looks like the optimisticism has smoked its last cigar.

Cable connect is just fine though.

"...designed for users who won't compromise on performance".
That made me smile despite the wasted time. The rest of the blurb proudly tells me it has a Centrino which for its day seems like a compromise.

But it is sill working :~D not bad for a 13 year old. Now if I could just find another 13 year old to get it working.

It is of the era that might not have had wifi as default.

Last edited:
I actually still have a D400, well technically it use to be used by one of my parents and has long since been consigned to living under a pile of old "stuff" in the corner of this office. I recall that it did actually support integrated WiFi, but you probably won't be able to connect or possibly even see any modern wireless networks because it doesn't support any of the "recent" security / encryption standards. Heck I'm not even sure if it properly supported WEP. On top of that the old OS may also be an obstacle.

Sponsored Links
By "support" do you mean it has a PC-whatever slot; I think I still have a wifi card lying around that would fit.

I bought it in France about 8-10 years ago when the built in wifi in my Compaq had a melt down every time we drove into Paris.

Not sure about the drivers disk though.......

The one I had did include integrated WiFi (not PCMCIA), but at that time it was normal to offer WiFi as an "optional extra" so the OP's laptop may not be the same.

The COMPAQ's was a weird add-on port hidden inside the lid cover; in theory you could replace it - but COMPAQ didnt seem to have any upgraded versions, and the useless one fitted was listed as costing more than the laptop!!

Have you found the solution of your problem? Because I have the same

Sponsored Links
I don't even know if I still have it. I went through a phase of buying stuff I didn't need at car boor sales because old computers were being dumped all over the place..

If I can find it and if it still works, can I get it to you I am in Stoke on Trent, I don't want anything for it. It make take a day or two to rummage through the mess I am in ATM.

Anyone want a box of cables?
I am learning to throw rubbish away. I am doing it slowly because I am a slob and ditching stuff hurts.

The problem is that I keep thinking that when this old tat was new it cost hundreds of pounds and it still works so it must still be worth hundreds of pounds.

I do not think I will live long enough for my "once pride and joy silicon" to increase in value lol

Ré edit.

Remember, "Practice makes Prefect".

My spelling has always been "atroshus"; whenever I get caught with an error, the above is my reply.

It is the reason the following joke has always been a favourite.

Do Dyslexic Devil worshippers dedicate their lives to Santa??

Sponsored Links
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules