Sponsored

Would you recommend NDO?

garethh

And a response direct from management 1 minute under an hour of it being brought to their attention is, IMHO, highly impressive.

I beleive NDO are yet again recruiting more tech's so they can bring even more support back 'in-house'.

Gareth

JAS

Casual Member
Actually, I sent Chirag, an email at 11.03am, and got this reply back at 11.34am. How is that for a management responce. No doubt he then read out "The Riot Act" prior to posting here.

I have said it before and I'll say it again. Management not only put their email address up there on their website for all to see, but also their photo's, how many other ISP's do that????????

So in the event of non satisfaction on your part, least way's you do have a piccy for the "hit man" :laugh:

Tony,
Thanks for this, I will read and look into this for you.
Regards
Chirag

-----Original Message-----

Sent: 09 February 2004 11:03
To: chirag@ndo.com
Subject: Complaint on ISPreview

Hi Chirag,

I suggest you take alook at this thread on ISPrview , scroll to post dated today, user "chunkymax" to ignore it would in my opinion , be unwise. As he states not only can he not connect, but he is getting bad advice from NDO Tech Support.

Regards,

Tony

NDO

ISP Rep
Hi Chunkymax,

I have just looked at the call log from this morning (1013***) and have send you another PM, just waiting on the actual audio of the call.

Tony - Thanks for your email. You beat me to the post. ;-)

I normally do my read of all forums in the morning when i get in and then every few hours.

John, Doug, Peter and James are normally on the ball when it comes to post's.

Regards
Chirag Patel

chunkymax

I was a apple mac user not so long ago, and called ndo Tech support, to be told, that the person who know all about apple macs, wasn't at his desk, could I call back, but that's another story.

The fact is I'm on ADSL, everything was working fine until about 6pm on 8th, and then nothing, literally, all I get is cannot find server, strangley enough, if I opt for PAYG, it can find anything I want, except a hell of a lot slower.

Question - ndo are aware of the problems with the bandwith, which is why they're currently working on it, will ADSL customers be compensated for lack or no service currently provided?

garethh

chunkymax said:
Question - ndo are aware of the problems with the bandwith, which is why they're currently working on it, will ADSL customers be compensated for lack or no service currently provided?
They have been 'working on it' (the bandwidth issues) since they placed the upgrade order with BT last October. I rather suspect they started thinking about it long before then too. BT being the lumbering dinosaur it is has a lead time of 12 weeks for new pipes. It's not just a case of phoning 'em up and getting one delivered in 7 days!

This is just a guess (and my opinion) but I rather suspect NDO are focusing all their efforts on getting the upgrade in and working before making further comment on any possible compensation.

It's considered 'good practice' to deliver a solution and get things back to normal before getting the cheque book out.

I can only go on previous experiences with NDO and say in the days before they became part of ISION (and then energis), they did used to offer the odd free month when (for whatever reason) they felt their users deserved it through poor service issues.

I totally understand that you would be annoyed if that was the advice you were given by their support desk. Chirag is looking into the issues you have raised and I am sure he'll deliver a solution to you as soon as he can.

I do feel, however, that NDO should be given some slack over the upgrade/bandwidth issues. They've been perfectly open about it on their forum. The latest update from their technical director advises they are now in the final testing stages with the upgrade due to go live between 12:00am & 02:00am on Wednesday 11th February.

Gareth

jwilliams

Casual Member
chunkymax said:
The fact is I'm on ADSL, everything was working fine until about 6pm on 8th, and then nothing, literally, all I get is cannot find server, strangley enough, if I opt for PAYG, it can find anything I want, except a hell of a lot slower.
This bandwidthh issue would mean things run a bit slower, not that nothing works at all.

So if you have that problem it sounds more like a config issue on your part. Or have you not paid your bill and had your account locked?

NDO have been going on and on and on about their upgrade for weeks on their forum; its mentioned on their profie on ADSLGuide and also it was in their Christmas Newsletter - so its not as though they are doing nothing about it.

Not long to go now for it anyway :)

chunkymax

Maybe I was a little hasty this morning in my condemnation of ndo, but I feel,that if I pay for an item, I should at least be able to use that said item, which wasn't the case.

I work in the IT field myself, and maybe I should have been more understanding, after all,someone phines me up when their computer isn't working, and I have to try to fix the problem, even though I'm unable to directly see the problem myself.

Good news is that I back, and running,I think to normal speed.

Thanks

garethh

Most NDO users experienced the same slow-down in Jan/early Feb.

Their new 155Mb pipe went online on 11/12 Feb.

Since then, the number of reported speed problems on their http://www.ndousers.com forum have seemed to tail off.

If you're still getting speeds of 260k it sounds as if it's either an issue with your line/exchange or your settings.

NDOUsers was awash with speed issues before the pipe upgrade -- less than a day later, everything seemed to calm down.

Give 'em a call on 0870 200 2310 and ask to speak to Doug, John or Peter :)

Gareth

NDO

ISP Rep
Probably better if you call 0870 200 2230 - as that is our actual support number :)

We do not have any users reporting speed problems to this degree via email or call logs; so please let us know your username or account number (or even a call reference number) so we can help you out.

Is your Anti-Virus software up to date? Quite often most "speed issues" turn out to be a virus installed on the local PC using all the available bandwidth to send out their spam email viruses - and a quick clean of the PC brings speeds back up to the 450-470k ratings.

We value all users equally - if we didn't we'd be like the other ISP's and sting residential users with a 60p or £1 minute support line; ok so the revenues per user are lower on Home users but that doesn't mean you don't still recieve a quality service from NDO - and just National Rate support - very few ISP's let you call them from just 2p a minute for Support 24/7...

Best wishes,
Doug

Last edited:

lighterboy

ULTIMATE Member
Except NDO had ordered an upgrade which was being implemented. Being unprofessional about it would have ment not ordering an upgrade and saying stuff you. NDO didnt do that - they did upgrade.

Since upgrade my speeds have been fine. Better than before. Therefore I stand by my statement it has to be some config problem or something to do with your setup. If it was NDO's pipe we all would still be suffering. Given the number of people who have psoted in reply to you to say they don't have speed problems doesnt this give you a clue as to the problem might be down to you?

So what have NDO said as advice?
Have they arranged a BT engineer to visit and check your line?
Do you use NDO hardware or your own?
Have you tried swapping your filters around?

You can bite my head off if you like - I'm just trying to help you out here by suggesting fixes to your speed issues - which are not affecting me in the slightest.

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedchart.asp?id=41c98ccafb086bcb3e41c98cca

My latest speed test - speed still stonkingly good!
Downstream 468 Kbps (58.5 KB/sec) 505 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 244 Kbps (30.5 KB/sec) 263 Kbps (inc. overheads)

Call NDO get them to sort your problems cos my connection works fine!

LB.

garethh

I'm now dropping out of this thread.

I really feel certain aspects would be better off being discussed privately.

We all have issues to grind from time-to-time; public vs private needs to be considered carefully.

Regards,

Gareth

glebrun

I've got to agree with Lighterboy, GarethH and JAS here.

My ADSL with NDO has been great, slowed a bit in January but picked up again nicely since the NDO upgrade and now mine also motors along at a constant 470k on the ADSLGuide speed tests - which seems to be about the best you can get out of ADSL in the UK when you add all the IP data overheads on it brings it up to about 509k. (http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedchart.asp?id=b74c6ff5fb24994e29b74c6ff5 - for this mornings test)

My only gripe - they didn't have their Home500lite £15.99/21.99 package when I ordered as the same great service could have been even cheaper.

NDO come from me as Highly Recommended.

Grant

salvador

ULTIMATE Member
lighterboy said:

Now they have thier £16 a month package its even better value!
I just saw their offer of £15.99 for the first 5 months and £21.99 thereafter. For what they offer in the package - no emails address - 12 months minimun contract, no web space, limit of 10 GB per week - No access to newsgroup. I think it's a very poor offer.

miffie

ULTIMATE Member
So they are not giving anything away. They have been around for seven or eight years and want to be around for a further eight .Cheapest is not always the best as I have learned with my 4 previous ISP`s.
I have found their customer support second to none, and get reasonable speeds from their BroadBand512 home offering, even during the low period before the upgrade.
I did make a point of purchasing their Broadband equipment such as modem and filters, so that if anything went wrong it would hopefully be a simple matter for them to put right.
miffie

lighterboy

ULTIMATE Member
salvador said:
I just saw their offer of £15.99 for the first 5 months and £21.99 thereafter. For what they offer in the package - no emails address - 12 months minimun contract, no web space, limit of 10 GB per week - No access to newsgroup. I think it's a very poor offer.
If you want a basic connectivty package its fine.
- No emails, get a @yahoo or @hotmail account instead..
- No webspace - Geocities, Lycos give free/very cheap bobby basic hosting
- 10 GB per week is 40GB per month - 40times BT's cheapo offering..!
- Newsgroups - use giganews or even Google News instead, all I think it means is no access to the NDO newsgroup servers.

I like NDO and their support is always second to none from my experience - they even answer anytime of day or night; Normally solve my problems first time; and failing that they call you back with the solution..

LB

garethh

You get what you pay for -- like anything.

It's a few quid cheaper per year than the next package up. If it's not right for your needs, don't go with it.

And don't forget to price in other factors such as National Rate Support Lines, Excellent Support, Reliability, Staff dedicated to the cause etc. etc.

Today's market-place (regardless of what you're buying) is getting totally blinded by pricing.

Certain companies make you believe you are getting a good deal with headline grabbing prices.

Take the time I bought a dot-matrix printer from a company advertising in one of the PC mags, based on price. 8 months later it went wrong and it was the biggest nightmare EVER to sort out.

Similarly, I bought something from Dixons once -- that went wrong after a few months -- they then demonstrated why they were so cheap originally.

Gareth

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £22.00
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Onestream £22.49 (*29.99)
    Avg. Speed 45Mbps, Unlimited
  • xln telecom £22.74 (*47.94)
    Avg. Speed 66Mbps, Unlimited
  • Plusnet £22.99 (*35.98)
    Avg. Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £50 Reward Card
  • Vodafone £23.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2768)
  2. FTTP (2746)
  3. FTTC (1783)
  4. Building Digital UK (1740)
  5. Politics (1662)
  6. Openreach (1619)
  7. Business (1429)
  8. FTTH (1340)
  9. Statistics (1240)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1221)
  11. Fibre Optic (1062)
  12. 4G (1052)
  13. Wireless Internet (1020)
  14. Ofcom Regulation (1014)
  15. Virgin Media (1004)
  16. EE (696)
  17. Sky Broadband (668)
  18. Vodafone (666)
  19. TalkTalk (661)
  20. 5G (514)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules