Sponsored Links

Would you try for better signal / speed or is it just obsessive.

Stageshoot

Pro Member
Well our 3 Pole of Wonder has been operational for a month now, no downtime, and it is still not showing on the 3 service checker map.

Just have the H112-372 Router sat on an upstairs windowsill, its out of the way behind a curtain, so SWMBO does not moan about it, am Linking it to a Huawei Wifi 6 Router downstairs by Ethernet so good wifi signal around the house.

Speed is rock solid all day every day, never below 300 down 50 up. normally 350 down 60 up

But this little voice in my head keeps saying put the CPE in the loft bit more height bit more speed. But is it worth chasing that little speed boost,

Standing under the mast with an Iphone 12 pro max gives 500 down 50 up, so that seems about all you can ring out of it flat out. (Using a Smarty Sim) as our phones are Smarty but Broadband full fat 3

Would you bother for a little speed increase and the hassle of running more Cat6. Or just let sleeping wives lie and not antagonise them with more cable pulls!

Signal Stats seem fairly good so not sure how much more I can pull out of it.. law of diminishing returns!

Screenshot 2021-10-30 at 12.41.13.png

Test1.jpg

Lovely speed there Stageshoot, would you really benefit that much more if it was 500 in the house?

My CPE Pro was much poorer in the loft, but it will be different for everyone of course.

You may be like me though and want to try which is understandable.

There isn't anywhereI haven't tried the router, but it now lives in the best performing corner in the whole house.

Anyway, have fun if you experiment, and be sure to report back your loft results, we all love that sort of thing around here. šŸ˜Š

20211030_130402.jpg

Can you spot the router anywhere? :unsure:

My 3 pole of wonder erection gang scarpered and still haven't returned yet. :cry:

Last edited:
I wouldn't bother, if you need to restart the hub or anything of the like then you're just adding to the task of that also those network stats are really good especially for 2100mhz. It may just be luck you got 500Mbps standing under the mast because I've gotten 450Mbps from a Vodafone mast before with far worse stats than that.

Sponsored Links
Interesting you found it worse in the Loft, May just sneek up there on Monday with an extension lead and try it while Vicky is out of the house for the day, No point poking the bear with a stick if there is going to be no advantage to it in the end.,,

Upload speed is as important to me as download, lots of 4k video and large photo files wizzing out the backup servers, so where we are now is about the best we have, so would not want to cripple upload just to improve download.

I wouldn't bother, if you need to restart the hub or anything of the like then you're just adding to the task of that also those network stats are really good especially for 2100mhz. It may just be luck you got 500Mbps standing under the mast because I've gotten 450Mbps from a Vodafone mast before with far worse stats than that.

The stats are from my home CPE I didnt test the signal strength under the mast as I was on an iphone so didnt have access to HuaCtl

As for rebooting the router in the loft would not be a problem as it would be on a smart plug so a simple on off command via alexa would give it the needed kick

80dBm is sort of the zone that going any lower may not net you any notable gains, also the H112-372 doesn't have the best band support
when compared the newer 5g phones. Maybe going for the H112-373 would be the way to go for you.

Interesting you found it worse in the Loft, May just sneek up there on Monday with an extension lead and try it while Vicky is out of the house for the day, No point poking the bear with a stick if there is going to be no advantage to it in the end.,,

Upload speed is as important to me as download, lots of 4k video and large photo files wizzing out the backup servers, so where we are now is about the best we have, so would not want to cripple upload just to improve download.
Yeah radio waves are a strange beastie, even moving my router 2 inches from where it is now results in degradation.

If my 3 pole of wonder erection gang ever return and eventually finish things, I may find a new spot that works better, who knows.

Here's my stats in the corner, not hidden behind a curtain, just in case a compare is of interest. Not quite as good as yours but hey it still works.šŸ˜

Screenshot_20211030-131118_huaCtrl PRO.jpg

Sponsored Links
Yeah radio waves are a strange beastie, even moving my router 2 inches from where it is now results in degradation.

If my 3 pole of wonder erection gang ever return and eventually finish things, I may find a new spot that works better, who knows.

Here's my stats in the corner, not hidden behind a curtain, just in case a compare is of interest. Not as good as yours but hey it still works.šŸ˜

View attachment 1785
Yeah, three's network engineer anyways seem to leave the 5g antennas for weeks before actually fitting them, fibre and power both been provided to monopole outside my house so don't know at this point XD

Yeah, three's network engineer anyways seem to leave the 5g antennas for weeks before actually fitting them, fibre and power both been provided to monopole outside my house so don't know at this point XD
I don't even have a pole yet drevilbob, there was a cabinet and mount and a ground pole mount delivered, but it rained torrentially for days and it all turned into a complete mud bath, so they all departed and they took the lot with them.

I still haven't recovered from my sadness yet, but keep checking the forthcoming road works every 5 minutes in hope of a comeback.:rolleyes:šŸ˜Š

@Stageshoot lovely relationship you have there with the wife. :-D

I'd let it alone to be honest, as you say, you're already maxing out the upload so 50-100 extra Mbps on the download is not worth the effort. When do you really ever need the full 300 Mbps anyway, expect speed tests?

Sponsored Links
You have some great signal stats there, considerably better than what I can get.

The sensible side in me would say leave it alone, don't waste time trying...... šŸ˜‡

However the wicked side in me would say yeah, go on try the loft , up the ladder, on top of the roof, you know you want to have that speed test result flash up 500Mbps.....šŸ˜ˆ

We all have that desire to eeek out that bit more from our tech.
Reminds me of the day when I overlooked my first cpu, I pushed a 486sx 25mhz all the way to 33mhz.
Yes I am that old šŸ¤£

We all have that desire to eeek out that bit more from our tech.
Reminds me of the day when I overlooked my first cpu, I pushed a 486sx 25mhz all the way to 33mhz.
Yes I am that old šŸ¤£
Oh you wippersnapper.. I remember burning the ram chips out of a VIC20 RAM Expansion cartridge. to double up another cartridge to 16k of ram ;-) oh the days...

The need for speed is mainly as we send large 4k raw video files, often 50 to 100gb, and getting them to site quicker frees up time to start the next one. Its not so often we import them back but maybe 2 or 3 times a week a week we pull a 300 to 500gb download to work on. Very small savings but they all add up, just like moving to the new M1 Max Macbooks, as every 10 seconds saved on a render and output cuts down the working day..

How about being around before the internet as we know it even existed.

I Used to use an Amstrad acoustic modem to connect to Prestel and various bulletin boards and thought that it was all amazing stuff. (It was)

What wasn't amazing was my phone bill, but I couldn't help myself.:oops:

I won't bore you with all the computers I had, ZX 80, 81 Sinclair Spectrums, QL, BBC, Acorn Electron, Amstrad, Vic 20 , Commodore 64, Amiga, the list goes on and on

Sorry I just bored you all. :D

Aw those were great times.:cool:

Post over, just wanted to join in the reminiscing mood guys.

Anyway, to get back on topic, have we been up in the loft yet Stageshoot? :unsure:

How about being around before the internet as we know it even existed.

I Used to use an Amstrad acoustic modem to connect to Prestel and various bulletin boards and thought that it was all amazing stuff. (It was)

What wasn't amazing was my phone bill, but I couldn't help myself.:oops:

I won't bore you with all the computers I had, ZX 80, 81 Sinclair Spectrums, QL, BBC, Acorn Electron, Amstrad, Vic 20 , Commodore 64, Amiga, the list goes on and on

Sorry I just bored you all. :D

Aw those were great times.:cool:

Post over, just wanted to join in the reminiscing mood guys.

Anyway, to get back on topic, have we been up in the loft yet Stageshoot? :unsure:
No am planning on trying Monday.. Vicky is in Hospital for an Op on Monday and as they wont let me stay with her (Covid restrictions and all that), I will keep myself busy after dropping her off with faffing around in the loft to see if the signal is better or worse..

Yep Prestel was great, I disabled the ringer in the downstairs phone as it rattled when I dialed in from upstairs and parents moaned about cost, forgot and left it connected for a whole 24 hours, Boy did that get me a roasting

Sponsored Links
No am planning on trying Monday.. Vicky is in Hospital for an Op on Monday and as they wont let me stay with her (Covid restrictions and all that), I will keep myself busy after dropping her off with faffing around in the loft to see if the signal is better or worse..

Yep Prestel was great, I disabled the ringer in the downstairs phone as it rattled when I dialed in from upstairs and parents moaned about cost, forgot and left it connected for a whole 24 hours, Boy did that get me a roasting
I bet, that's amazing my extension phone did the same.lol

Have fun tomorrow Stageshoot, hope your loft doesn't have the dreaded foil lurking anywhere. šŸ¤ž

My first computer was a mainframe at Newcastle university, the school dialed in and we programmed it in Basic using a keyboard terminal, no CRT display just a spool of paper. We all got bored of Basic pretty quickly and instead got into playing Star Trek. This was really just battleships, you inputted the box you wanted the photon torpedo to blow up in and a minute later the paper spooled up and printed out the result. Kept us entertained for hours.

My first computer was a mainframe at Newcastle university, the school dialed in and we programmed it in Basic using a keyboard terminal, no CRT display just a spool of paper. We all got bored of Basic pretty quickly and instead got into playing Star Trek. This was really just battleships, you inputted the box you wanted the photon torpedo to blow up in and a minute later the paper spooled up and printed out the result. Kept us entertained for hours.
Gosh yes kommando828 cool stuff, I remember buying my first thermal printer and it amazed me, it really was just a glorified till receipt printer I guess, but I thought it was the bees knees.:ROFLMAO:

Well just to update you as I brush off the damn Loft insulation. Horrible stuff.. As it would not stop raining decided to have a mooch around the loft today.

RESULTS
Tested in current position in Bedroom Window. 344 down 66.7up
Tested in Loft by entrance hatch. 384 down 67.3 up
Tested in Centre of loft. 409 down 68 up
Tested at top of eves wedged in a gap. 419 down 68.2 up

Screenshot 2021-10-31 at 11.02.31.png

Cant get it higher anywhere else, So just got to decide if its worth running a new Cat6 line to the loft just for an extra 70mbps download..

And just for Giggles.. An iPhone 12 Pro Max with a Smarty SIM in the same best location in the loft gives 190 Down 38.7 up

IMG_0749.jpg

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: Ā£25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules