Sponsored Links

You8000 Speed Troubles

Are you getting the advertised 7000Mbps speeds?

• Total voters

N473

Casual Member
Seeing as I've seen a few people mention that they're experiencing issues with the You8000 package in terms of download speeds - I figured I'd start a thread to record some information.

1. Download Speed (Gbps/Mbps): 1,050Mbps
  2. Average Upload Speed (Gbps/Mbps): >4,000Mbps
  3. Router/Gateway: Unifi Dream Machine Pro
  4. Static IP: Yes
  5. IPv6: No (But recently available in area)
  6. ONT: AdTran 622V
  7. Speedtest Used: UDM Pro, ASUS AXE16000 & 2 x 10GbE Clients with iperf3
Personally - my troubles started about 4 days after my static IP was re-applied, though it was working for the first few days just fine (reaching max download speeds of ~4.5Gbps). YouFibre did mention that IPv6 was going live in my area around the day that it all went to crap - but I'm not currently using it, so not sure if it's a coincidence or not!

I know that speed testers like Oookla (speedtest.net) and some browser-based tests will struggle to do multi-gigabit properly (even iperf3 can struggle on Windows)- so I've run some iperf3 tests on two linux-based 10GbE capable servers:

iperf3 -c speedtest.serverius.net -p 5002 -P 24 -4 -R

1696945080641.png

iperf3 -c speedtest.serverius.net -p 5002 -P 24 -4

1696945240220.png

As you can see - the upload speed is spot on (and will even hit > 8Gbps peak for some sectors), but no matter the test type and no matter the server - it will not exceed 1,050Mbps on the download.

I have tried using the expensive spaceship that the engineer left here when he set the line up - but that won't even connect to the internet (it thinks it's connected, but it isn't), so I'll leave that in the box for now!

It could be a faulty/stuck service profile on the OLT causing the issue, I've seen it on the Openreach side of things when they've done speed regrades on lines

It could be a faulty/stuck service profile on the OLT causing the issue, I've seen it on the Openreach side of things when they've done speed regrades on lines
That exact thing happened to be on OR was fine on the upload but the download was stuck, it ended up requiring an ONT change and profile reset

Sponsored Links
That exact thing happened to be on OR was fine on the upload but the download was stuck, it ended up requiring an ONT change and profile reset
This is exactly what the engineer did today - something funky was going on at the Netomnia end and it took a little while to sort.

End result is 8Gbps download and 7.5Gbps upload :)

This is exactly what the engineer did today - something funky was going on at the Netomnia end and it took a little while to sort.

End result is 8Gbps download and 7.5Gbps upload :)
Woop woop 🎉😁

Update, I spoke to support this morning off the back of the OP's post and provided this thread, I've had a response to reboot (for new DHCP leased).

Initial testing on the UDMPro is looking much better, but will test further when I get home and on a 10GB device.

Attachments

• udm test.jpg
    udm test.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 49
Sponsored Links
Update, I spoke to support this morning off the back of the OP's post and provided this thread, I've had a response to reboot (for new DHCP leased).

Initial testing on the UDMPro is looking much better, but will test further when I get home and on a 10GB device.
Good stuff - I found that the speed test on the UDM Pro doesn't quite hit the full throughput. With IDS/IPS disabled - I was seeing ~8Gbps each way on iperf3, but UDM Pro was maxing out at 6Gbps.

I've re-enabled IDS/IPS now and getting ~4Gbps down and 6-7Gbps upload.

Good plan. IDS/IDP is basically worthless given how much of what is going across the link is encrypted so may as well leave it off.

Good plan. IDS/IDP is basically worthless given how much of what is going across the link is encrypted so may as well leave it off.
Yeah, so much traffic is encrypted now that the best way to protect yourself to make sure you just use common sense these days and maybe throw-in some pihole for some good measure to stop crap

Sponsored Links
@YuGi when did your You 8000 go in? I see you voting indicating you aren't getting the speed? ;)

@drevilbob Indeed. Much of the use for IDS/IDP is based around DNS, looking into packet headers and measuring packet frequency. The actual content itself is almost always encrypted and decrypting it isn't something kit at home is going to be doing.

It's not useless, just mostly useless. I use PiHole to protect at DNS level, endpoint security where I can and keep my Internet of **** devices on their own SSID and subnet with access to the Internet only which seems to work okay.

It's going to get even worse the more QUIC gets taken up and HTTP/3 becomes more of a thing.

@YuGi when did your You 8000 go in? I see you voting indicating you aren't getting the speed? ;)

@drevilbob Indeed. Much of the use for IDS/IDP is based around DNS, looking into packet headers and measuring packet frequency. The actual content itself is almost always encrypted and decrypting it isn't something kit at home is going to be doing.

It's not useless, just mostly useless. I use PiHole to protect at DNS level, endpoint security where I can and keep my Internet of **** devices on their own SSID and subnet with access to the Internet only which seems to work okay.

It's going to get even worse the more QUIC gets taken up and HTTP/3 becomes more of a thing.
yeee i cant exit the vote didnt mean to lol

Sponsored Links
After contacting support I now get about 7000Mbps down and 7000Mbps up, but my static IP has gone!

I'm not attached to the specific IP I was given, so don't mind getting a new one, but it's obviously another hassle to try and get sorted...

After contacting support I now get about 6000Mbps down and 7000Mbps up, but my static IP has gone!

I'm not attached to the specific IP I was given, so don't mind getting a new one, but it's obviously another hassle to try and get sorted...
That's not ideal. I lost mine after the initial switch to You8000, but it took a few days and a couple of emails to get them to put it back on! They won't release your old static back into the pool for a while, so retaining your existing one shouldn't be a problem!

Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £17.99
    Speed 33Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • UtilityWarehouse £19.99
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • NOW £23.00
    Speed 63Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £24.00
    Speed 73 - 82Mbps, Unlimited
  • Shell Energy £24.99
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Gigaclear £15.00
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
  • Zzoomm £19.95
  • YouFibre £19.99
  • Community Fibre £21.00
  • BeFibre £21.00
    Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Sponsored Links
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5411)
  2. BT (3492)
  3. Politics (2500)
  4. Openreach (2279)
  5. Business (2227)
  6. Building Digital UK (2218)
  7. FTTC (2039)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1945)
  9. Statistics (1767)
  10. 4G (1642)
  11. Virgin Media (1596)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1440)
  13. Wireless Internet (1380)
  14. Fibre Optic (1380)
  15. FTTH (1379)
  16. 5G (1219)
  17. Vodafone (1128)
  18. EE (1113)
  19. TalkTalk (927)
  20. O2 (919)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules