Sponsored Links

Zen failing FTTP regrade

Cei

Casual Member
Anybody else in the same situation? Zen are inferring there's a national problem with FTTP regrades at present, but not sure if that's true?

Current Zen customers of the (old) 300/50 FTTP tier service and when they soft-launched the 900/110 service I called up (10th July) and requested to be moved. No problems, charged the £10 fee and told new contract etc. The order request is in my Zen portal.

Since then it simply lists the order status as FAILED. I called Zen tech support who put me through to provisioning, where the response was that they are having "problems" with regrades not going through (because of Openreach) and that they would be communicating shortly. However sit tight and it will be sorted.

We're now 11 days post the regrade order and nothing has happened (for a process that should take 24-48hrs). The last FAILED update was on the 13th July, I have had no communication from Zen about what the problem is, or when it will be fixed.

EDIT: Just to preempt a question, we're on a Huawei exchange with line speed capability listed as 1000/220. Definitely not ECI.

Thanks for the link - interesting to know. Shame that Zen's normally excellent customer service is, however, total radio silent on the matter! So looks like it could take up to 3 weeks to action, possibly.

Sponsored Links
Probably because the Openreach fault fell outside of the usual automated communication system's scope, or something like that. Just one of those things.

Thanks for the link - interesting to know. Shame that Zen's normally excellent customer service is, however, total radio silent on the matter! So looks like it could take up to 3 weeks to action, possibly.

I applied for a regrade 3 days ago and received this today, appears to be outside their control.

"Thank you for your order.

There is a delay in progressing your order, due to an operating error within our supplier Openreach’s systems.

Openreach are fully aware and have committed to resolve the issue as soon as possible. Please be assured that we’re treating your order as a high priority, and as soon as we have news, including a resolution date, we will inform you straight away.

Openreach continues to deal with an extremely high volume workload due to the current circumstances which means response times from them vary. This has a knock-on effect to our own response rate to our customers so please be aware that our updates may also be delayed during this time.

As soon as we have further information about your order we will be in touch.

Thank you for your understanding."

Last edited:
My regrade got processed! No email from Zen, just suddenly my speeds jumped. Need to sort out billing though as they're trying to charge from the order date, not the date is actually went through.

So, expect about a week to a week and a half delay all told.

Same here. Applied as soon as the story broke and still getting the email saying it’s delayed. I don’t blame Zen, I blame Openreach. I didn’t realise it’s so widespread

Sponsored Links
Hmm the regrade delays should have all been sorted last week, but yours is still delayed ztolley? When was it originally supposed to go live?

I'm in the same position. Upgraded from 150mb (£50/month) to 500mb (£55/month) and it's still not gone through. But spoke to BT the other day given they're offering 900mb for £59.99 a month and it sounded like they would be able to process the order with no problem. Tempted to jump ship at this rate, can't see how Zen can lock me in for another 24 months if they're not even able to get the service live.

Requested a regrade from 150Mb to 500Mb on 11/07 (after the soft-launch) and was initially told 48-72 hours. Didn't hear anything until 20/07 (advising of issues with a "supplier’s systems") and have since only received the automated email advising more specifically of issues with Openreach.

Whilst this is clearly out of Zen's control to some degree, the communication from Zen has been abysmal. Every time I have attempted to call their support number I have been on hold for over an hour and not been able to get through.

Fingers crossed the order gets processed soon..

Everyone whos experiencing a delay with the regrades/orders, would you PM me your usernames and I will find out where they are up to.

Sponsored Links
Hmm the regrade delays should have all been sorted last week, but yours is still delayed ztolley? When was it originally supposed to go live?
Well I applied on the 13th and not heard anything other than the generic emails mentioned and still not given a date or the regrade

I received a non-automated email from the Zen provisioning team advising that:
due to a recent update of their (Openreach) ordering portal system, this has unfortunately not worked as planned as some orders are going through and some are not. This is based on the order type and whether your address is listed under a brownfield site or a greenfield site.
  • Brownfield means a site that has been built on previously. Usually associated with urban areas.
  • Greenfield means a site that has not been built on previously. Often rural and countryside areas.
We have also been advised that the issue is only impacting greenfield sites at present and at the moment we are still working with Openreach as they are still looking into a resolution as this is not just affecting Zen as a CP, this is also affecting other CP’s so we are hoping for a resolution as soon as possible.
I would not classify my property as being in a rural/countryside area but it is on a new build estate so has only ever had FTTP connectivity, @ztolley not sure if this also applies to you?

Sponsored Links
Sadly I am on day 19 of my regrade going nowhere, with no answer to my emails and spending 90+ minutes on the phone to them with nobody answering.
On a positive note they appear to have added a second song to their 'an agent will be with you soon' music...

@haystack I now resort to using their call back option which allegedly keeps your position in the queue, sadly the only information they will give you when ringing back is that a case is open with Openreach and there is nothing else to be done.

I've now been waiting 18 days and have been given no communication as to when the issue is likely to be resolved. For what I would assume is a straightforward config change this doesn't bode well for Openreach looking to aggressively expand their FTTP network given that it already seems to be creaking at the seams.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Sky Broadband UK ISP Logo
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5443)
  2. BT (3497)
  3. Politics (2513)
  4. Openreach (2285)
  5. Business (2242)
  6. Building Digital UK (2226)
  7. FTTC (2040)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1954)
  9. Statistics (1770)
  10. 4G (1648)
  11. Virgin Media (1603)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1446)
  13. Wireless Internet (1384)
  14. Fibre Optic (1384)
  15. FTTH (1380)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules