Sponsored Links

Zen FTTP Nightmare

DJPaulo

It has been over a month since I ordered an upgrade of our internet line from a FTTC service to FTTP. After 3 separate engineer appointments the fibre line was finally connected up to our house and there is a strong light signal (-16.5) going to the ONT box.

On Friday (27th May 2022) another engineer arrived to activate the fibre connection but shortly before he arrived, our existing internet line was completely cancelled by OpenReach. The problem is that the engineer couldn’t get our service running. The LOS light is off, but the PON light flashes green. He did manage to resolve an issue where the code of the node, in the pole we’re connected to across the road, was incorrectly captured on the system so BT was then able to rebuild the routing. Even after the routing was rebuilt the green light flashes instead of staying on. He tried 3 different ONT boxes and still no joy. BT said that it appears to be a network issue and the OpenReach engineer said there’s nothing more he can do and it’s been left like that.
I’ve asked Zen to escalate the issue but in the meanwhile we’re stuck with no internet in the countryside where mobile signal is terrible.

Only Openreeach can resolves this - it sounds like a PON database / registration issue. In other words you have light, but its the wrong light.

Th only thing you can do is call Zen on a daily or bi-daily basis to keep them on top of Openreach

Only Openreeach can resolves this - it sounds like a PON database / registration issue. In other words you have light, but its the wrong light.

Th only thing you can do is call Zen on a daily or bi-daily basis to keep them on top of Openreach
Thanks for the feedback, I will mention PON database / registration to them and see if that points them in the right direction.

Sponsored Links
Yes it sounds like a configuration issue with Openreach systems, that is preventing your ONT from correctly registering with the OLT at the handover exchange

I’ve passed on the information to Zen and they have escalated it with OpenReach so hopefully now there’ll be a case manager assigned to it. There’s also another engineer booked for Monday the 6th June.
Not sure what they’re going to be able to do since each one that arrives thinks they’re going to be doing a new installation.

I’ve passed on the information to Zen and they have escalated it with OpenReach so hopefully now there’ll be a case manager assigned to it. There’s also another engineer booked for Monday the 6th June.
Not sure what they’re going to be able to do since each one that arrives thinks they’re going to be doing a new installation.
Sounds familiar, OpenRetch are a law unto themselves well and truly and customer service seems to be a curse word to them. LONG overdue they were forcibly split from BT entirely AND required to directly communicate with end users instead of fobbing folk off

Two OpenReach engineers arrived on Wed and spent 3 hours back and forth tracing the light signal to the exchange. They were a lot more persistent than the previous ones, and managed to resolve the issue with the help of someone over the phone. Apparently the guys that do the initial installation don’t always get the latest routing plan so things end up getting connected incorrectly.
The lady over the phone was able to completely delete my records off the database and rebuilt the routing from scratch. That resolved it.

Since then OpenReach has booked traffic management and a hoist…
They are obviously unaware that my line is already installed and working now. Hopefully they don’t c0ck it up when someone else arrives.

Sponsored Links
You had light. But it wasn’t the ‘right’ light or at least the light they thought it should be…

Basically the database thought you should be on PON ‘A’ and you were actually on PON ‘B’

Hopefully DB sorted for your other 29 neighbours on the same PON.

When the hoist arrives. Give them a cuppa and tell them it’s all sorted.

Enjoy.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules