Sponsored Links

Zen internet here I come!

The court orders only FORCE the really big ISPs, but there is nothing stopping the smaller ones from doing the same if they wish.

I havent noticed any announcements by Aquis, but I had noticed several BitTorrent sites being blocked a few months ago; I dont know if that was at the ISP level or if a BT level block was affecting me; certainly no additional sites have been blocked, despite the courts issuing new blocking orders on several of them.

I've now called Zen tech support and they confirmed that Zen do actually block sites as per these court orders unfortunately.

I'd have thought Zen weren't big enough to be forced like this?

I've now called Zen tech support and they confirmed that Zen do actually block sites as per these court orders unfortunately.

Just to clarify.

Zen Internet is 'NOT' one of the ISP's under a court order to block the sites as has been seen with some of the much larger UK ISP's of late nor have we been asked to do so to date.

Regards
Gary Hough (Regulatory Manager)

Sponsored Links

Could you provide me with your username please?

Thanks Gary. The tech support guy seemed very sure of it, so I'm surprised that I'm getting two different responses. I want to stress that it's not a reason for me to leave Zen though. I really don't like censorship for several reasons and having to faff around with VPNs and TOR to get around it, so it's a plus if my internet access isn't censored with site blocking.

Lee, do you mean my Zen contact ID?

Thanks Gary. The tech support guy seemed very sure of it, so I'm surprised that I'm getting two different responses. I want to stress that it's not a reason for me to leave Zen though. I really don't like censorship for several reasons and having to faff around with VPNs and TOR to get around it, so it's a plus if my internet access isn't censored with site blocking.

Lee, do you mean my Zen contact ID?

Hi Raptor,

It will be in the format of zen123456@zen.

Lee

Sponsored Links
Just a quick chat about connecting my modem to Zen broadband to minimize my downtime as obviously the line will disconnect when the service switches over in a few days.

To improve my network security, I have moved away from a standard ADSL router setup (yup, I'm in a fibre not area :rolleyes: ). Instead, I access the internet through a DrayTech Vigor 120 ADSL modem and hardened IPCop hardware firewall. Nothing gets through that firewall and it routinely logs 1500+ intrusion attempts a day, so the threat is very real.

Now, this Vigor 120 is literally a modem only (no firewall, wireless or any other features) with a raw internet connection and public IP address going straight to whatever PC is connected to it. This makes it really dangerous to connect directly to a Windows box, where it would only be a matter of time until it gets rooted, regardless of what software firewall and anti-malware program is running on it and if it's fully patched.

The only things you can configure on it are the ADSL settings such as VPI/VCI/vcmux etc and there's no ISP login. That part is handled via a PPPoE connection from IPCop, so it looks like all I have to do is change the username and password over to Zen's and it should go.

If I remember correctly, the modem should pick up the DNS server addresses automatically. If it does not, then I'll have to log into it and plug in the numbers.

Am I right in saying that the switchover downtime would be no longer than a couple of minutes?

www.ipcop.org

It shouldn't be. I will let you know I am waiting to make the switch at some point today. I know Zen can tell you from their point of view but I thought maybe another putner's experience might also be useful. I have a standard TC582 with my current ISP's details in. I am sure it's just a case of changing the info. I don't appear to have any custom firmware for TR-069 etc but I am sure if so Zen could sort that for me.

I will let you know how it goes. The only downtime should be how long it takes you to enter your new details. Assuming you get them first. I haven't had mine yet..

Also I would be more inclined to take Gary's word for it - based on this being his job.

Thanks aauser27.

When I completed the online service registration, I got several automated emails, all within a few hours of each other, one of which had my login details, so I wonder if you should have had yours by now? I'm sure Lee can answer this question when he comes back here.

So, let's see, with phone and internet service from Zen I get the following benefits:

- Waaaaay better customer service than BT. BT even illegally slammed me onto a 12 month contract a few years ago when I was out of contract and promised me a fake discount if I agreed to it when I complained - and got away with it, that's how bad they are. There's lots more, I could rant...
- Uncensored internet access
- Really helpful reps on ISP Review

And all this for £10 less per month than BT. :cool: Moving over was a no-brainer the minute I saw this new service was available and I'm sure you'll love it too.

And it all started with reading Mark J's article about Zen's new services for us poor users stuck on ADSL. :)

I was told by a friend about it - i was actually on my way to order the 500GB service - so when I saw this I thought it was a no brainer also. A&A offered me anti slamming as soon as my line opened for migration. I did want to go with Zen in the first place but they wanted around £70 more than A&A did for a new line activation hardware and first month. With a free migration on offer I couldn't resist!

I should be able to get fiber service at the end of this month. I hope anyway. The dam cabinet taunts me EVERY day when I walk past it :(

Even if I took A&A's biggest offering which is 300GB I would have to pay £55 a month. So saving £22.01

OR I could get a unlimited 80/20 for £150 + VAT a month and £550 + VAT install - no thanks!

As I said to Lee privately. In my eyes A&A and Zen are on an even par tech support wise.

I will re check my e-mails but I am sure I have not had one..

Edit!

I AM STUPID! I DID get this e-mail I just didn't see it go right into the Zen folder I have - SORRY!

I'm looking forward to it even more now. I am sure it will work as my A&A details are the same sort of format.

That little Vigor reminds me of the old BT Voyager 105's - they were simple to set up and rock solid. (but they were USB only)

Last edited:
it will just be a change of username and password, not heard of people using ipcop in ages thats a blast from the past.

Cool, Im not in work now so unable to check

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules