Sponsored Links

ZTE MC801A Review

Not the modem/router, it's just the external antennas that won't work if used with any network that uses a frequency under 3500MHz. Zyxel support say that the Zyxel will always use the internal antennas when using 3G/4G and 5G if the 5G frequency is below 3500MHz.

Maybe it's the same on the ZTE? If true, the external antenna ports should work on the EE network as they use a frequency above 3500MHz to delivery 5G on their network.
Interesting thought. I wonder if anyone has tried it? Most people go for Three because it's usually the most competitive.

I didn't try with other options because I am not even in the UK, if I remotely edit the settings and be more daring with my family's router I may cause a problem I can't easily resolve remotely.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

So is this better than the huawei cpe pro 2?
Looks like the jury is still out, but it's a whole lot cheaper!
If you want 5G there are definitely worse devices out there.

Have you ever tried to set ZTE MC801A in bridge mode?

I'm thinking of buying the device, but at the same time I want to be sure that I will not have problem with AVG Fritz Box 7590AX Modem Router.

Have you ever tried to set ZTE MC801A in bridge mode?

I'm thinking of buying the device, but at the same time I want to be sure that I will not have problem with AVG Fritz Box 7590AX Modem Router.
My Three ZTE MC801A arrived at the start of the week.

The option to toggle bridge mode is disabled by default in the current firmware, however I can confirm that the MioNonno interface tweaks (using some custom jQuery/JS) both enable the button in the UI and also allow bridge mode to be set.

Some caveats:

- I'm on three, it's a different firmware to the Sotel supplied devices
- Your downlink device (your Fritz! box) will be attached to LAN1
- LAN2 can be used to access the ZTE UI, but will not be routed to the internet
- WiFi clients attached to the ZTE will not be routed to the internet

Many thanks for your answer!

Have you already set your ZTE in bridge mode? I am asking you because I have read that in order for ZTE to operate in bridge mode, it is only possible if you only have static ip address. Is this true?

Have you already set your ZTE in bridge mode? I am asking you because I have read that in order for ZTE to operate in bridge mode, it is only possible if you only have static ip address. Is this true?
Yep! Mine is already in bridge mode sitting in front of a Ubiquity USG-3 WAN port. I suppose it might depend on your 5G network provider but with Three I just set the WAN port to DHCPv4 and it got assigned a dynamic public address no problem.

I can't think of a technical reason the ZTE device would have a restriction to only work with a static IP, that sounds like it might have been something specific to the network provider.

As an aside I had to disable threat detection/blocking on the USG because the the USG-3 doesn't have hardware offload for that, so throughput was being capped to about 100Mbps.

I have been testing mine today and bridge mode appeared to work with openwrt router in every way except that internet speed through openwrt was really slow. However I think it was the router and not mc801a based on CPU usage.

Annoyingly if the mc801a supported dlna via usb I would not want to use it in bridge mode as it does everything I want.

Strangely cgnat has not been as much of a problem as I was expecting, CCTV works just fine and PS5 still has nat type 2.

Actually, once I stopped to read the ZTE leaflet that came with this thing I noticed you can toggle bridge mode without the UI Hack - you just need to turn off the modem side and the button activates...

bridge_mode.jpg

Perfect . Band selection and ca?
External antenna ?
Is SA option present ?
SA / NSA options are available.

I plugged in an XPOL-1-5G but I don't think it's working, there's nothing to indicate that an external antenna is connected and gain/noise/speed hasn't moved an iota - that's annoying as it's advertised as supporting external antenna, I'm going to contact Three and see what they say.

Didn't check for band selection, what would I be looking for here? I've only one 5G enabled mast locally, and it's NSA so I get band 1,3 + N78

What's CA?

5g_network_selection.jpg

CA is channel aggregation, the joining of more than one channel to increase speed. The fact that you're seeing bands 1,3 as well as N78 suggests you have CA. If you set network to 4g it should also show more than one channel is active.

CA is channel aggregation, the joining of more than one channel to increase speed. The fact that you're seeing bands 1,3 as well as N78 suggests you have CA. If you set network to 4g it should also show more than one channel is active.
That's curious - this states that CA is inactive. Maybe the modem is just reporting the 3G/4G bands?

CA_inactive.jpg

SA / NSA options are available.

I plugged in an XPOL-1-5G but I don't think it's working, there's nothing to indicate that an external antenna is connected and gain/noise/speed hasn't moved an iota - that's annoying as it's advertised as supporting external antenna, I'm going to contact Three and see what they say.

Didn't check for band selection, what would I be looking for here? I've only one 5G enabled mast locally, and it's NSA so I get band 1,3 + N78

What's CA?

View attachment 2200
Try this to see the antenna switch
First log in to router interface then replace url by
Hit enter.

CA only became active for me when I done high bandwidth/speed tests, so perhaps it only works under load.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £26.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £17.00
200Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5507)
  2. BT (3513)
  3. Politics (2534)
  4. Openreach (2296)
  5. Business (2259)
  6. Building Digital UK (2243)
  7. FTTC (2042)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1970)
  9. Statistics (1787)
  10. 4G (1661)
  11. Virgin Media (1615)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1458)
  13. Fibre Optic (1393)
  14. Wireless Internet (1388)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules