Sponsored Links

ZTE MC801A Review

Hello all, I'm new to this discussion, and to Forums in general, please forgive any rooky mistakes.
I recently received a Three 4G router, and the power supply cable did not fit into the port of the hub, the transformer's output was rated a 1.5A, but the router calls for 2.0A. So arranged for a replacement, which arrived, and works OKish! This supports the thoughts concerning used routers running through this discussion.
My 4g reception isn't great, but I can improve it by placing the router in my loft, with the external "paddle" antennas attached. I'm thinking about purchasing an outdoor antenna to enable me to be able to not have to go into the loft.
Contacting Three's customer services & asking for advice on suitable antennas is like pulling teeth. Has anyone got any advice on this please? My router is manufactured by Sercomm, model LTE2122GR.
I have a touring caravan (sorry), and I am presently away in it, and have brought the router along to see if it is useful for touring, and it seems that it is. However, being sat in what amounts to a Faraday Cage, the 4g signal is weak, but works OK for streaming TV, but again, an external antenna could prove helpful. Any advice/critique will be welcome.

Hi guys, need help with my three 5g Zte Mc801a(B04 version) when on p2p/torrent.

I easily get 500/10 MB on normal speed test. This should equate ~ 40/1 MB right?

But only get 2mb/0.5mb when torrenting with upnp enabled, dht/pex disabled on torrent client (transmission).

Any ideas? I was with virgin media and was getting 20mb+ on my 200MB bb.

Hi guys, need help with my three 5g Zte Mc801a(B04 version) when on p2p/torrent.

I easily get 500/10 MB on normal speed test. This should equate ~ 40/1 MB right?

But only get 2mb/0.5mb when torrenting with upnp enabled, dht/pex disabled on torrent client (transmission).

Any ideas? I was with virgin media and was getting 20mb+ on my 200MB bb.
Hi,

Normal speed test is TCP, torrenting Linux distributions is UDP.

Are you using the 3internet apn or the three.co.uk apn?

had a play tonight and finally got the cell tower locked this is at -106dbm with sinr at 9.5DB (hoping the antenna improves slightly, this is over 1 mile away using an internal antenna with no line of sight)

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-08-14 at 4.20.18 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-08-14 at 4.20.18 AM.jpeg
    44.8 KB · Views: 55
Good news is my router stopped doing a random reboot a few times a day. Bad news is it bricked itself on Friday.
Called three and was once again told they would escalate and text me once they've finished looking in to the problem.
Pushed them for a time frame but they couldn't give one. So unfortunately I'll be calling up later to cancel. Such a shame because when it works, it's a great product.

Just for a bit more context, I've put several calls in over the last few weeks to ask to be downgraded to the B04 firmware, everytime I've been told "it's been escalated and we will be in touch shortly" with no time frame and no text forthcoming

Good news is my router stopped doing a random reboot a few times a day. Bad news is it bricked itself on Friday.
Called three and was once again told they would escalate and text me once they've finished looking in to the problem.
Pushed them for a time frame but they couldn't give one. So unfortunately I'll be calling up later to cancel. Such a shame because when it works, it's a great product.

Just for a bit more context, I've put several calls in over the last few weeks to ask to be downgraded to the B04 firmware, everytime I've been told "it's been escalated and we will be in touch shortly" with no time frame and no text forthcoming
Can you not call and ask for a replacement? The replacement I received yesterday came with b04

had a play tonight and finally got the cell tower locked this is at -106dbm with sinr at 9.5DB (hoping the antenna improves slightly, this is over 1 mile away using an internal antenna with no line of sight)
Well that antenna did nothing so will be returning and sticking with my internal antenna for now

Can you not call and ask for a replacement? The replacement I received yesterday came with b04
I've asked for one and they said they have to finish their investigation first, to determine if its broken. Even though I've told them the router has stuck on one power light for 2 days.
Going to call again tomorrow and demand a replacement or cancel

I've asked for one and they said they have to finish their investigation first, to determine if its broken. Even though I've told them the router has stuck on one power light for 2 days.
Going to call again tomorrow and demand a replacement or cancel
which number are you going through? try 03333381039 option 3, explain it's broken and they will replace it straight away

I hesitate to connect the external antenna with this fragility of the TS9 ports, if they are broken the router becomes unusable? Or we can just use it normally without external antenna even with broken TS9?

J'hésite à brancher l'antenne externe avec cette fragilité des port TS9, si on les casse le routeur devient inutilisable ? Ou on peut simplement l'utiliser normalement sans antenne externe même avec les TS9 cassés ?

I hesitate to connect the external antenna with this fragility of the TS9 ports, if they are broken the router becomes unusable? Or we can just use it normally without external antenna even with broken TS9?

J'hésite à brancher l'antenne externe avec cette fragilité des port TS9, si on les casse le routeur devient inutilisable ? Ou on peut simplement l'utiliser normalement sans antenne externe même avec les TS9 cassés ?
Get some of these and tape or cable tie them to the router https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vecys-Bulk...d=1660506849&sprefix=ts9+leads,aps,250&sr=8-6

In fact I already have everything I need but the router is currently working very well on the edge of the window, it would be just to try to gain a little speed, currently I am at around 450/50 which is already very good for my use. So I'm afraid to break my router for a simple test. If it becomes unusable due to a broken TS9 port that wouldn't be cool.

En fait j'ai déjà tout ce qu'il faut mais le routeur fonctionne très bien actuellement sur le bord de la fenêtre, ce serait juste pour essayer de gagner un peu en vitesse, actuellement je suis à environ 450/50 ce qui est déjà très bien pour mon usage. Du coup j'ai peur de casser mon routeur pour un simple test. Si il devient inutilisable à cause d'un port TS9 cassé ce serait pas cool.

In fact I already have everything I need but the router is currently working very well on the edge of the window, it would be just to try to gain a little speed, currently I am at around 450/50 which is already very good for my use. So I'm afraid to break my router for a simple test. If it becomes unusable due to a broken TS9 port that wouldn't be cool.

En fait j'ai déjà tout ce qu'il faut mais le routeur fonctionne très bien actuellement sur le bord de la fenêtre, ce serait juste pour essayer de gagner un peu en vitesse, actuellement je suis à environ 450/50 ce qui est déjà très bien pour mon usage. Du coup j'ai peur de casser mon routeur pour un simple test. Si il devient inutilisable à cause d'un port TS9 cassé ce serait pas cool.
If your happy with it leave it as is, not worth the risk in my opinion, the internal antennas still function with the external ports snapped

Did you renew for another 12 months. Did they make you send back the old router?

They don't have a 12 month deal at the moment. Its either 2 years, or a rolling 1 month contact. So went for the 1 month @ £24 per month.

So far they haven't asked for old one back, but I only got the new one on Thursday the 11th.
maybe worth re-positioning it for better signal strength and higher signal to noise ratio? I'm on B09 with good speeds.
It isn't moving from when it gets 300-400 to when it got only a couple of mb/s.

Signal strength is showing as -83 right now, and the suggested position routine shows as "perfect"

Is it a Sotel one?
I've got a Sotel one with B09 firmware and I've played around with cell locking extensively. I've had no problem with resets to remove a cell lock. But someone mentioned having problems with resets when in bridge mode.
It is a Sotel one, yes and was in Bridge mode at the time.....

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules