Sponsored Links

ZTE MC801A Review

Thats not sounding good if Im honest, Ive had something very simular to what your describing on a Friends ZTE, which is now, how can I say this, been put to rest at the lower part of the door.

If its not responding to a Factory Reset and you cannot access the Admin through a Cable connection then its pretty much a Firmware Fault and will, somehow, need Re Installing, if its still under Warranty get it fixed, if its not you could try about the Re Flashing methods kicking around but I wouldn't hold your breath if Im honest as your going to struggle to find out which correct Firmware is required, and even with the correct version there is no guarantees its fixable.
Thanks, oh dear!

In fact I already have everything I need but the router is currently working very well on the edge of the window, it would be just to try to gain a little speed, currently I am at around 450/50 which is already very good for my use. So I'm afraid to break my router for a simple test. If it becomes unusable due to a broken TS9 port that wouldn't be cool.

En fait j'ai déjà tout ce qu'il faut mais le routeur fonctionne très bien actuellement sur le bord de la fenêtre, ce serait juste pour essayer de gagner un peu en vitesse, actuellement je suis à environ 450/50 ce qui est déjà très bien pour mon usage. Du coup j'ai peur de casser mon routeur pour un simple test. Si il devient inutilisable à cause d'un port TS9 cassé ce serait pas cool.
That is pretty good. How did you do your speed test? Plugged in with a cable or just on wifi? Also, did you notice...even if you turn to the side or move your router left or right.... 10cms... even 1 or 2cms, you can get much higher speeds. It's very sensitive!
I agree, you might get a little better speed with an external antenna...but it's not worth the hassle and you could break the circuit board quite easily.

C'est plutôt bien. Comment as-tu fait ton test de vitesse ? Branché avec un câble ou juste en wifi ? Aussi, avez-vous remarqué... même si vous tournez sur le côté ou déplacez votre routeur à gauche ou à droite... 10 cm... même 1 ou 2 cm, vous pouvez obtenir des vitesses beaucoup plus élevées. C'est très sensible !
Je suis d'accord, vous pourriez obtenir un peu plus de vitesse avec une antenne externe... mais cela n'en vaut pas la peine et vous pourriez casser le circuit imprimé assez facilement.
Thank you, I plan to continue like this. The tests are by cat6a cable on my PC but in the same room as the wifi 6 router on my S21 it's essentially the same but yes with the cable we are sure to have the maximum. For the location it is possible that I will be able to win a little more, I will have to test. I had determined the best place by doing speedtests with my phone in 5G on the same network so it's not necessarily the best method.

Merci je pense continuer comme ça. Les tests sont par câble cat6a sur mon PC mais dans la même pièce que le routeur en wifi 6 sur mon S21 c'est sensiblement pareil mais oui avec le câble on est sûr d'avoir le maximum. Pour l'emplacement c'est possible que j pourrai gagner encore un peu faudra que j test. J'avais déterminer le meilleur endroit en faisant des speedtest avec mon téléphone en 5G sur le même réseau donc c'est pas forcément la meilleure méthode.

Thank you, I plan to continue like this. The tests are by cat6a cable on my PC but in the same room as the wifi 6 router on my S21 it's essentially the same but yes with the cable we are sure to have the maximum. For the location it is possible that I will be able to win a little more, I will have to test. I had determined the best place by doing speedtests with my phone in 5G on the same network so it's not necessarily the best method.

Merci je pense continuer comme ça. Les tests sont par câble cat6a sur mon PC mais dans la même pièce que le routeur en wifi 6 sur mon S21 c'est sensiblement pareil mais oui avec le câble on est sûr d'avoir le maximum. Pour l'emplacement c'est possible que j pourrai gagner encore un peu faudra que j test. J'avais déterminer le meilleur endroit en faisant des speedtest avec mon téléphone en 5G sur le même réseau donc c'est pas forcément la meilleure méthode.
The best method to get the best speed is to log in to your router with a laptop and watch the signal strength as you move the router around. What do you see? You want it to be as close to zero as possible...so -70 is better than -90.

When you get the best signal strength then look at your SINR, signal to noise ratio. This you want to be as high as possible....over 30 is good.
When your signal is strong and clear, then your speeds will be the best they can be.
Good luck.

In your router go to advanced settings, then : other, then : network information.
Here you can see 5G Signal Strength and also 5G SINR (signal to noise).

Finally managed to get them to agree to a replacement. However they booked it as a new device and not a replacement, so now they have to cancel it (takes 1-2 days) then re-book it as a replacement.
So I may get a new device coincidentally 1 day after my 30 day cooling off period, and would then be liable to buy out the remainder of the contract if the new device doesn't work

Finally managed to get them to agree to a replacement. However they booked it as a new device and not a replacement, so now they have to cancel it (takes 1-2 days) then re-book it as a replacement.
So I may get a new device coincidentally 1 day after my 30 day cooling off period, and would then be liable to buy out the remainder of the contract if the new device doesn't work
Cooling off should be extended if your router was not working...

Cooling off should be extended if your router was not working...
Agreed but I could not get them to commit to this on the phone.
Also the cooling off for the router was extended to 30 days shortly before I took the contract out. I've had this confirmed by them

Agreed but I could not get them to commit to this on the phone.
Also the cooling off for the router was extended to 30 days shortly before I took the contract out. I've had this confirmed by them
You could open a help chat online...I did that. Just cancel now...unless they agree to extend...if they do agree take a screenshot. Or cancel and start again. All the best.

You could open a help chat online...I did that. Just cancel now...unless they agree to extend...if they do agree take a screenshot. Or cancel and start again. All the best.
They called back with an update, should get the router tomorrow. It also comes with another 14 day cooling off period, so I'm able to cancel if the second one doesn't hit the mark

They called back with an update, should get the router tomorrow. It also comes with another 14 day cooling off period, so I'm able to cancel if the second one doesn't hit the mark
Good stuff. If, let me know how it goes. You have been very patient! I hope you get good broadband, mine has been great on the new box so far.

Does anyone else when using miononno have no service after downloading a file?

not sure if it's the dns i have setup that causes it but i literally go from 5g to no service for 2 minutes then connection comes back on.

Only does this after downloading a file 2GB +

Does anyone else when using miononno have no service after downloading a file?

not sure if it's the dns i have setup that causes it but i literally go from 5g to no service for 2 minutes then connection comes back on.

Only does this after downloading a file 2GB +
I've used it a few times, i believe it add an APN service (which I guess person who made the script was using as service) try removing it and rebooting, if still no joy, try setting three as default one again, if still no access remove sim and boot without it, and put it back in and boot it again it 'should' connect

I've used it a few times, i believe it add an APN service (which I guess person who made the script was using as service) try removing it and rebooting
Yeah i have done this, it seems once you run the script again it will add the APN file back in, i can see where it adds on the script but don't know enough about javascript to remove it

Ok so i have removed this from the script "profile_name:"miononno",apn_action:"save",apn_mode:"manual",", ill try without this and a custom DNS to see if it behaves

Yesterday I had my worst day in the 3 years since I moved to using a sim for my homebroadband.

It started off with downloading a 40Gb game on my Playstation. Every 5 minutes this new router would drop the connection, and just sit there until powered off and back on.

I thought it was because the PS will download at very high speeds, taking most of the bandwidth.

However, it continued to get worse into the evening just doing general things, like streaming TV. I must have rebooted it 20 times.

In the web interface I cannot find an event log, is it hidden somewhere?

I did notice sometimes, but not all the time, it was going between 4G+ and 5G. Towards midnight, it could barely manage a 720p 2Mb stream on my Plex.

You do have to wonder if this is some sort of traffic shaping as it all started with a big download, but in the scheme of things this is very little data for a 5G service or 4G come to that.

I still have my original CPE Pro, so if this happens again I'll swap that back in and see if its doing the same on there.

Speaking of Huawei CPE Pro, anyone compared it to the MC801a, which is better in terms of speed and dropouts? Thanks.
Hi Cellardoor,

I have the CPE Pro 2 and the three branded MC801a.

Both are very similar in performace for me, but I do have to reboot the MC801a now and again to get the connection back, however the CPE Pro 2 never needs a reboot, it just stays connected for weeks on end.

It doesn't happen a lot though, just occasionally. (B04 Firmware)

Hi Cellardoor,

I have the CPE Pro 2 and the three branded MC801a.

Both are very similar in performace for me, but I do have to reboot the MC801a now and again to get the connection back, however the CPE Pro 2 never needs a reboot, it just stays connected for weeks on end.

It doesn't happen a lot though, just occasionally. (B04 Firmware)
Thanks I'll get the CPE to test before ditching the mc801a.

Yesterday I had my worst day in the 3 years since I moved to using a sim for my homebroadband.

It started off with downloading a 40Gb game on my Playstation. Every 5 minutes this new router would drop the connection, and just sit there until powered off and back on.

I thought it was because the PS will download at very high speeds, taking most of the bandwidth.

However, it continued to get worse into the evening just doing general things, like streaming TV. I must have rebooted it 20 times.

In the web interface I cannot find an event log, is it hidden somewhere?

I did notice sometimes, but not all the time, it was going between 4G+ and 5G. Towards midnight, it could barely manage a 720p 2Mb stream on my Plex.

You do have to wonder if this is some sort of traffic shaping as it all started with a big download, but in the scheme of things this is very little data for a 5G service or 4G come to that.

I still have my original CPE Pro, so if this happens again I'll swap that back in and see if its doing the same on there.
sounds like you may have the same issue a lot of people got when their boxes upgraded the firmware. Sift through this forum and you will see. What firmware are you on? Are you on 3 network?

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules