Sponsored

zyxel LTE7480 with tp-link router. how do i get them to work together?

JM98

Casual Member
I use the TP-link VR2800 as my main DSL router.

as my broadband is intermittent, I have bought a Zyxel LTE7480 outdoor router/antenna and want to connect this to the TP-LINK.

I want to keep the TP-Link as my main router and have therefor DHCP activated there and have switched it off on the Zyxel.

I have given the xyzel a fixed IP of 192.168.1.10 and switched on ip-passthrough (seems to be the equivalent of bridge mode in order to avoid a double nat issue when it is on router mode?)

Not sure what to do at the TP-Link side

no matter if i leave it in mode 1 (DSL router mode) or mode 2 Wifi router mode) or when I connect the zyxel to the WAN or LAN port on the TP-Link, i cannot get this to work.

Would anyone be willing to give my advice to get this going?

What I wnat is to be able to plug in my DSLwhen it works but have my zyxel as a back up. Even better would be if both could be connected and perhaps the DSL connection bound to a single lan port out. (as I have seperate guest accomodation which would then be served by that).

I have now tried almost everything but have to stop fiddeling each time my guests are back or when my wife goes online for work...

I did get the 4g router working through the tp-link a few times but for some odd reason not everything worked correctly over wifi (but ethernet connection -seemed to -orked ok)

summary of setup:

TP-link VR2800 in house connected to BT DSL

a couple of RE650 around the house to extend (shame no mesh)

Also a switch connected to ethernet sockets around the house.

In the guest accomodation I have an Archer C58 with a guest Wifi ssid setup.with a LAN cable connecting the wto archers via LAN ports

Hope some one can help, after hours of youtube and google, I am at a loss.

many thanks!

Jaap

kommando828

ULTIMATE Member
Setting a static IP on the Zyxel will be over ridden by passthrough so the IP the TP-link sees will be the IP set by the 4G provider which will not then pass data as it will be outside the IP range set in the Zyxel (and from a security point that's good too). My solution was to use a dual WAN router to combine and load balance the 2 connections, this is my main router and over the years its been fed with 1. ADSL and 4G 2 Wide area Wifi and 4G and now 3 4G and 4G. Nest year when FTTP arrives I will change it to failover from FTTP to 4G if the FTTP fails.

Lucian

ULTIMATE Member
I'm in a similar position as you @JM98.
I have a 5G router (Huawei CPE Win) which from the factory comes with IP (on the LAN side) 192.168.118.1. Downstream there's a Linux box whose WAN I connected to it.

When I enable bridge mode the following happens:
- the Huawei 5G router is still reachable from the LAN hosts on 192.168.118.1
- the Linux box WAN port is set to DHCP and indeed it gets an IP from the mobile operator

One other thing I had to do as it was causing me issues, delete the default APN in the Huawei and add it again as ipv4-only.

I am not familiar with your Tplink, but generally talking it should not be in DSL mode as it will try to set the default route via the RJ11 port/interface.
You should stick the cable from the Zyxel into its WAN port.

If you stick the Zyxel cable into a laptop, does it get an IP automatically and can you browse the net? Do you also get ipv6?

Slambers

Not tried with a TP-Link, but I can confirm the LTE7480 works well with Draytek routers. Get a 2nd hand 2860 or 2862, and you can have DSL on WAN1 with the built-in modem, and 4G on Ethernet WAN2.

You can set to failover from one to the other, or if you have unlimited data, load-balance between the two and have them both always-on.

WAN2 just needs to be set to static/dynamic IP, and it'll pick up the ZyXEL straight away, without any complicated config.

If you opt to load-balance, you may need to set load-balance policies to stop it flip-flopping between WANs which can give undesired behaviour (especially on VoIP and https).

JM98

Casual Member
Thank you Both! @Lucian we meet again!
You may recall I wanted to build a solar powered 4g setup in a field and beam it to the house. After looking into the details I decided against this and put my name down for Starlink.
Now, being at the house, it turns out a temporary 4g mast has been erected with a wayleave for a few weeks. (EE). cynics mumble this may have to do with the fact that the BT CEO has a holiday home very close to it..
I have therefor bought the Zyxel LTE 7480 outdoor router and hope that a permanent mast will come (in which case I will drop Starlink and go for some unlimited package later).
On the other side of my location a O2/Vodaphone mast has been put up but has not been switched on. It is a mile away and not direct line of site so no idea whether I will get a signal when it does get switched on.

I am getting around 55 down 17 up with a ping of 32 having the antenna inside. when testing outside we managed 95 to 160 down so I hopeful.

When it comes to trying to connect to my current setup, I am having trouble. As I have people renting accommodation and my wife working online, i need to test at times when neither are using - a challenge.

Yesterday nothing would work, and had to factory reset the TPLink to ensure the BT DSL would get up and running.
I am a bit lost here -thought I was tech savvy but apparently when it comes to networking not so much!

Oddly, when connecting the zyxel to the tplink in its LAN port, I get an internet connection via direct wifi but not on any lan connectors (or repeaters connected via LAN.

I have tried both DSL modem mode and WIFI router mode (not 4g router mode as that is for usb dongles as I understand).
I have also tried to activate IP Passthrough on the zyxel as I think that bypasses the NAT (and deactivates its router mode)..

I will need to try and find a decent guide somewhere because I think I am at a dead end a bit!

Lucian

ULTIMATE Member
@JM98 Hi again, sorry to hear that.

If you say you got a working internet connection via WiFi makes me think the problem is on the TpLink side.
Looking at that model, I see one of the ports is labeled LAN/WAN. What happens if you set the router to WiFi mode and plug the Zyxel network cable in it? Also, if there's a setting in the TpLink UI that sets that port to WAN as opposed to LAN, do make sure it's checked.

JM98

Casual Member
@Lucian Blimy you are quick! If I recall correctly there is no option to change port 4 form lan to wan. however, i will recheck. I "think" the details under wan all stayed blank and think these should either manually or automatically come from zyxel (subnet gateway dns ip dares and connection type are blank.) unfortunately cannot test at the moment as everyone and there dog are using the network.(and I have exhausted the believable " BT is crap - sorry" excuse a bit the last days;) )
Will test again asap when they are gone/off. THANKS!

kommando828

ULTIMATE Member
On the other side of my location a O2/Vodaphone mast has been put up but has not been switched on. It is a mile away and not direct line of site so no idea whether I will get a signal when it does get switched on.
With direct line of sight but 4km's away I get 25 mbs down from Voda, its a rural shared O2/Voda mast with band 20 only so signal goes a long way and through obstructions better than band 3, its a Voda lead area not an O2 lead area so Voda has the better provision on the shared masts, in O2 lead areas it reverses.

My dual Wan is a Draytek 2925ac bought for £60 off ebay. It actually can do triple wan as USB1 can be changed to use a Hotspot as a third wan. When I get FTTP next year I will use that feature as a failover backup to the FTTP rather than swap a sim into a router.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Vodafone £19.50 (*22.50)
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • NOW £20.00 (*32.00)
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £20.00 (*25.00)
    Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo Code: ROKUGIFT
  • TalkTalk £21.00 (*29.95)
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Shell Energy £21.99 (*30.99)
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Vodafone £23.50 (*26.50)
    Speed: 100Mbps, Unlimited
  • Gigaclear £24.00 (*49.00)
    Speed: 300Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £25.00 (*35.00)
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo Code: ROKUGIFT
  • Community Fibre £27.50 (*32.50)
    Speed: 200Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: First 6 Months Free
  • Virgin Media £28.00 (*52.00)
    Speed: 108Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (3667)
  2. BT (3044)
  3. Politics (1975)
  4. Building Digital UK (1945)
  5. FTTC (1897)
  6. Openreach (1862)
  7. Business (1717)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1501)
  9. Statistics (1430)
  10. FTTH (1367)
  11. 4G (1295)
  12. Virgin Media (1196)
  13. Fibre Optic (1184)
  14. Wireless Internet (1176)
  15. Ofcom Regulation (1167)
  16. Vodafone (859)
  17. EE (845)
  18. 5G (792)
  19. TalkTalk (781)
  20. Sky Broadband (757)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules