Sponsored

Zyxel NR5101 on three

rob77

Casual Member
Hi guys

Three 5g went live in the area recently so thought I would test it out. I bought a pre paid sim and tested from my house. I wasn't expecting much but was surprised to see it getting around 600Mb download speed on my mobile phone (Samsung S21 Ultra). I thought I would buy a 5g router for access at home and received the Zyxel NR5101 yesterday, inserted the sim and fired it up. It is averaging 150Mb max. The light on the front was blue which says it is getting a 5g signal.

I have been in the settings and selected prefer 5g signal but it will not connect then. Only auto works. If I select 4g only it work at 4g speed of around 50Mb. I've also placed the router outside to test and it has a good signal but still much lower speeds than I get with my Samsung mobile?

Any idea why it would be performing much worse in the router? Could it be a band issue or compatibility with the three network?

Any advice would be much appreciated :)

Cheers

Rob

ooMAGIKoo

Hi guys

Three 5g went live in the area recently so thought I would test it out. I bought a pre paid sim and tested from my house. I wasn't expecting much but was surprised to see it getting around 600Mb download speed on my mobile phone (Samsung S21 Ultra). I thought I would buy a 5g router for access at home and received the Zyxel NR5101 yesterday, inserted the sim and fired it up. It is averaging 150Mb max. The light on the front was blue which says it is getting a 5g signal.

I have been in the settings and selected prefer 5g signal but it will not connect then. Only auto works. If I select 4g only it work at 4g speed of around 50Mb. I've also placed the router outside to test and it has a good signal but still much lower speeds than I get with my Samsung mobile?

Any idea why it would be performing much worse in the router? Could it be a band issue or compatibility with the three network?

Any advice would be much appreciated :)

Cheers

Rob
Hi Rob.

EDIT: (added the fact I’m on EE)

I also took delivery today of the same modem/router Zyxel NR5101.
I have been using the Huawei CE Pro 2 for a 5G connection to power my whole house due to having no broadband option.
speeds on 5G on the Huawei are around 450/500Mbps DL and 40Mbps UL.
This router is a beast but I do have some reliability with it having to reboot occasionally.

i was looking for some better stability and tried the Zyxel NR5101 today but on 5G I was getting maximum 101Mbps DL (on auto mode).
when I changed to 5G NR mode I had zero signal.
When deleting 4G I had LTE 4G+ aka LTE-A and hit 50Mbps.

This was using the internal antennas and in a good reception area. Signal was around ~72dbs (Excellent range).

I connected a 5G Poyting External Antenna 4x4 but it did not improve the signal at all.

I have come to the conclusion the Huawei outperforms this by a large margin.
Internal signal from this was ~65 vs the Zyxel at ~72dbs and speeds are considerably more. I will be returning the Zyxel and keeping my Huawei.

I hope this helps or at least confirm it’s not you or for me, it’s not me. We have the same experience with the same product.

rob77

Casual Member
Hi ooMAGIKoo

Thanks for the detailed reply. It sounds exactly the same as I am experiencing and I've given up on it to be honest.

I want to try another router but there isn't much choice out there. The cpe pro 2 sounds good but has no external antenna connections. I've see a guy on ebay who modifies them so you can add an antenna but it's another £100+.

The cpe pro has the external antenna connectors but I've read its unreliable.

I'm on another forum and a guy on there has the NR5101 and he's seeing speeds of 400Mb+ on EE.

Cheers

ooMAGIKoo

Hi ooMAGIKoo

Thanks for the detailed reply. It sounds exactly the same as I am experiencing and I've given up on it to be honest.

I want to try another router but there isn't much choice out there. The cpe pro 2 sounds good but has no external antenna connections. I've see a guy on ebay who modifies them so you can add an antenna but it's another £100+.

The cpe pro has the external antenna connectors but I've read its unreliable.

I'm on another forum and a guy on there has the NR5101 and he's seeing speeds of 400Mb+ on EE.

Cheers
Hi.
I was hoping for great results with this but it totally flopped for me.
I’m getting better quality signal from the CE Pro 2 internal aerials that with the external on the Zyxel. Maybe I could look at this other forum! Do you she a link?

Maybe I shall give Zyxel a call tomorrow and see what they say.

rob77

Casual Member
Hi.
I was hoping for great results with this but it totally flopped for me.
I’m getting better quality signal from the CE Pro 2 internal aerials that with the external on the Zyxel. Maybe I could look at this other forum! Do you she a link?

Maybe I shall give Zyxel a call tomorrow and see what they say.
Sure it's over on the forum at overclockers.co.uk. in the network/Internet section.

Im running some tests tonight and averaging 200Mb download. If you do hear anything back from zyxel please update me :)

ooMAGIKoo

Sure it's over on the forum at overclockers.co.uk. in the network/Internet section.

Im running some tests tonight and averaging 200Mb download. If you do hear anything back from zyxel please update me :)
So I called and spoke to Zyxel today.
They was not very helpful at all and said that the connection is limited by the distance from the cell tower.
However, using my CE Pro 2 with internal ariels in the house, speeds are 5x that of the Zyxel.
I have since packaged it up and returned the modem.
Sorry to not bring any further good news but I wanted to share this with you.
Attached is the speed test on Wifi 5ghz from my Ubiquity AC Pro which is on WLAN from the CE Pro 2

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-09-10 at 23.51.45.png
    Screenshot 2021-09-10 at 23.51.45.png
    104.1 KB · Views: 54

rob77

Casual Member
Thanks for letting me know mate :)

To be honest I think I will do the same (mines faulty anyway). I'll buy an network free CPE Pro 2 and stick it in Bridge mode. I have read the network locked ones have the bridge mode disabled.

Cheers

rob77

Casual Member
Had the ZTE MC801A on for 24 hours now and speeds are much better. Going up as much as 400Mb on a good day. I never saw these speeds at all with the Zyxel. Ping tends to fluctuate from 45ms up to 150ms. I have bought an external antenna to try.

Things I don't like is you cannot view the ZTE GUI in bridge mode. There might be a way but I have not found one as yet. With the zyxel you just set a static IP different to your main router and it just opened.

I've the CPE Pro 2 on the way so will give that a go. It is running the same chipset as the ZTE so I think it may perform similar.

Cheers

rob77

Casual Member
The CPE Pro 2 is the best one I have tried although I do have 2 external antennas and the router is modified with 8 x antenna connectors.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Vodafone £19.00 (*22.00)
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • NOW £20.00 (*32.00)
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £20.00 (*25.00)
    Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
  • Plusnet £21.95 (*38.20)
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £70 Reward Card
  • EE £22.00 (*30.00)
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Gigaclear £17.00 (*47.00)
    Speed: 200Mbps, Unlimited
  • Community Fibre £20.00 (*31.50)
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £23.00 (*26.00)
    Speed: 100Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £25.00 (*35.00)
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
  • Virgin Media £26.00 (*44.00)
    Speed: 108Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (3760)
  2. BT (3073)
  3. Politics (2003)
  4. Building Digital UK (1961)
  5. FTTC (1903)
  6. Openreach (1886)
  7. Business (1736)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1522)
  9. Statistics (1444)
  10. FTTH (1367)
  11. 4G (1312)
  12. Virgin Media (1218)
  13. Fibre Optic (1191)
  14. Wireless Internet (1190)
  15. Ofcom Regulation (1180)
  16. Vodafone (879)
  17. EE (864)
  18. 5G (812)
  19. TalkTalk (795)
  20. Sky Broadband (766)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules