Home
 » ISP News » 
Sponsored Links

UK Concedes that Scotland Did Not Get a Fair Share of Broadband Funds

Monday, Mar 12th, 2012 (2:35 pm) - Score 557

The Scottish Government’s Cabinet Secretary for Infrastructure and Investment, Alex Neil (SNP), claims that the UK’s central government (Westminster) “have now conceded that we did not get our fair share” of funding to assist with the rollout of faster broadband internet access services in rural areas.

So far Scotland has been allocated £68.8m from the Broadband Delivery UK (BDUK) office, which will help to ensure that 90% of UK “people in each local authority area” can access a superfast broadband (25Mbps+) ISP service by 2015 (the remaining 10% will only get a minimum speed of 2Mbps). By contrast Wales received £56.9 Million and as a result Neil claims that Scotland was “short-changed“.

Scotland’s own Digital Future plan, which was released in January 2012 (here), envisages “world-class digital access” being made available to all of Scotland by 2020; with an interim milestone of delivering superfast broadband (“40-80Mbps“) to 85-90% of premises by 2015.

Alex Neil told last weeks SNP Conference in Glasgow (DGStandard):

They [the UK central government] have now conceded that we did not get our fair share, and I have a meeting fairly soon in London with Mr Hunt [DCMS Secretary of State] to ensure that we get it.”

Neil believes that Scotland should receive a “much higher share“, although it remains to be seen how Westminster will respond.

Mark-Jackson
By Mark Jackson
Mark is a professional technology writer, IT consultant and computer engineer from Dorset (England), he also founded ISPreview in 1999 and enjoys analysing the latest telecoms and broadband developments. Find me on X (Twitter), Mastodon, Facebook and .
Search ISP News
Search ISP Listings
Search ISP Reviews

Comments are closed

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Vodafone UK ISP Logo
Vodafone £26.50 - 27.00
150Mbps
Gift: None
Sky Broadband UK ISP Logo
100Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £27.00
132Mbps
Gift: None
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Gift: None
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £17.00
200Mbps
Gift: None
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £19.00
150Mbps
Gift: None
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Gift: None
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Large Availability | View All
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5629)
  2. BT (3542)
  3. Politics (2572)
  4. Openreach (2320)
  5. Business (2298)
  6. Building Digital UK (2262)
  7. FTTC (2051)
  8. Mobile Broadband (2007)
  9. Statistics (1809)
  10. 4G (1696)
  11. Virgin Media (1650)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1482)
  13. Fibre Optic (1413)
  14. Wireless Internet (1408)
  15. FTTH (1382)
Promotion
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms , Privacy and Cookie Policy , Links , Website Rules , Contact
Mastodon