Home
 » ISP News » 
Sponsored

UPD VIDEO BBC South Today Looks at the Problem of Rural Broadband

Tuesday, January 15th, 2013 (9:47 am) - Score 1,110

BBC South Today recently ran a short TV story on the plight of rural areas and their lack of fast broadband. The piece uses the example of Little London in Hampshire (England, UK), which in April last year became one of the first to deliver speeds of up to 40Mbps through clever use of a local fibre optic Public Service Network (here).

Rural homes and businesses often feel unfairly treated because they’re asked to pay the same or sometimes a lot more than everybody else but still get significantly less in return (i.e. slower speeds and less reliable connectivity). In fairness this is because it costs a lot more for big ISPs to deploy and maintain the telecoms infrastructure in remote areas.

The below video also includes a brief interview with Piers Daniell, Managing Director of UK business ISP Fluidata.

It’s often hoped that the government’s £530m Broadband Delivery UK (BDUK) scheme will help to solve the problem, although this is currently designed to focus on the first 90% of homes and businesses by mid-2015. Sadly that still leaves the last 10% of predominantly rural areas to fend for themselves.

However it’s widely expected that an extra £300m of funding for the post-2015 to 2017 period, which will come from the BBC TV Licence fee, will be used in related rural areas.

UPDATE 11:31am

BBC South Today also did a second and third video on the issue of rural broadband, in-between the above one, which singles out BT for additional criticism.

Share with Twitter
Share with Linkedin
Share with Facebook
Share with Reddit
Share with Pinterest
By Mark Jackson
Mark is a professional technology writer, IT consultant and computer engineer from Dorset (England), he also founded ISPreview in 1999 and enjoys analysing the latest telecoms and broadband developments. Find me on Twitter, , Facebook and Linkedin.
Leave a Comment
4 Responses

Comments are closed.

Comments RSS Feed

Javascript must be enabled to post (most browsers do this automatically)

Privacy Notice: Please note that news comments are anonymous, which means that we do NOT require you to enter any real personal details to post a message. By clicking to submit a post you agree to storing your comment content, display name, IP, email and / or website details in our database, for as long as the post remains live.

Only the submitted name and comment will be displayed in public, while the rest will be kept private (we will never share this outside of ISPreview, regardless of whether the data is real or fake). This comment system uses submitted IP, email and website address data to spot abuse and spammers. All data is transferred via an encrypted (https secure) session.

NOTE 1: Sometimes your comment might not appear immediately due to site cache (this is cleared every few hours) or it may be caught by automated moderation / anti-spam.

NOTE 2: Comments that break our rules, spam, troll or post via known fake IP/proxy servers may be blocked or removed.
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Gigaclear £17.00
    Speed: 200Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Community Fibre £17.99
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Virgin Media £24.00
    Speed: 108Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Vodafone £25.00
    Speed: 100Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Hyperoptic £25.00
    Speed: 158Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo code: BIGBANG
Large Availability | View All
New Forum Topics
»
Lebara
Author: dabigm
»
Testing: EE's 4G/5G
Author: JitteryPinger
»
FTTP upgrade
Author: Wales85
»
Loss of Signal
Author: suffolk
»
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £17.99
    Speed 33Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo code: BIGBANG
  • Shell Energy £20.99
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • NOW £22.00
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Vodafone £22.00
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Plusnet £22.99
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £75 Reward Card
Large Availability | View All
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (4209)
  2. BT (3182)
  3. Politics (2150)
  4. Building Digital UK (2042)
  5. Openreach (1997)
  6. FTTC (1931)
  7. Business (1867)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1630)
  9. Statistics (1525)
  10. 4G (1398)
  11. FTTH (1372)
  12. Virgin Media (1301)
  13. Ofcom Regulation (1251)
  14. Fibre Optic (1246)
  15. Wireless Internet (1244)
  16. Vodafone (940)
  17. 5G (923)
  18. EE (920)
  19. TalkTalk (832)
  20. Sky Broadband (795)
Promotion
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms , Privacy and Cookie Policy , Links , Website Rules , Contact