Home
 » ISP News » 
Sponsored

KCOM See Full Fibre Broadband Surpass Copper on Hull UK Network

Friday, February 9th, 2018 (3:50 pm) - Score 992
kcom engineer ourside house fttp install

The incumbent telecoms operator for Hull in East Yorkshire, KCOM, has today confirmed that more people on their network are now using their new Gigabit capable “full fibre” (FTTP) broadband lines than older copper (ADSL) based connections for the first time.

At present KCOM has already expanded their “Lightstream” broadband technology (FTTP/C) to cover 75% of their network in the East Riding and Hull area, which reflects about 150,000 homes and businesses. Most of are being catered for via their ultrafast Fibre-to-the-Premises (FTTP) lines, which can offer top download speeds of up to 250Mbps (soon to be 350Mbps) to local homes.

The operator is now working to extend FTTP/C to reach 100% of their network area by March 2019 (around 200,000 premises), which is currently becoming available to roughly 3,000 new properties every month throughout 2018. Overall KCOM has committed about £85m to upgrade their network and this will deliver 96% coverage via FTTP “full fibre“, with the remaining 4% being reached by slower 75Mbps capable FTTC (VDSL2).

Meanwhile today’s announcement means that the number of KCOM’s customers connected to their FTTP service across Hull and East Yorkshire is now greater than those on slow copper ADSL broadband, which is a significant milestone.

Cathy Phillips, KCOM’s Chief Marketing Officer, said:

“I am delighted that more people than ever have access to and are benefiting from our Lightstream fibre broadband.

We’re connecting a new customer to our Lightstream service every 20 minutes, showing the demand for our world-leading broadband speeds is greater than ever. Our commitment to continued investment will cement Hull’s reputation as the digital capital of the UK.”

KCOM has previously suggested that their roll-out could result in them becoming the first operator in the United Kingdom to switch-off their old copper lines, although we’ll have to wait and see how things develop once their deployment has completed. Much could depend on the difference in price since existing customers won’t be happy if they’re forced to pay more, although disabling copper will cut KCOMs costs (we’re sure they’ll find a balance).

Sadly the Lightstream Rollout page on KCOM’s website doesn’t yet list the first phase of their deployment plan for 2018, although today’s update confirmed that the next areas to benefit will include Bransholme, Orchard Park, Little Weighton and Walkington.

Delicious
Add to Diigo
Tags: , , , , ,
Mark Jackson
By Mark Jackson
Mark is a professional technology writer, IT consultant and computer engineer from Dorset (England), he is also the founder of ISPreview since 1999 and enjoys analysing the latest telecoms and broadband developments. Find me on Twitter, , Facebook and Linkedin.
Leave a Comment
2 Responses
  1. Matthew Williams

    Well they wouldn’t be able to fully switch off copper until they converted the 4% on FTTC lines surely

  2. Chris P

    Its amazing what a monopoly provider can do when not being hampered by the regulator or LLU operators.

    I wonder if OCFOM will take note?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

IMPORTANT: Javascript must be enabled to post (most browsers do this automatically). On mobile devices you may need to load the page in 'Desktop' mode to comment.


Comments RSS Feed

* Your comment might NOT appear immediately (the site cache re-syncs periodically) *
* Comments that break our rules, spam, troll or post via fake IP/proxy servers may be blocked *
Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £19.00 (*22.00)
    Up to 30Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Vodafone £20.00 (*22.50)
    Up to 38Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Plusnet £24.99 (*33.98)
    Up to 38Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Sky Broadband £25.00 (*38.99)
    Up to 38Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £50 Prepaid MasterCard
  • TalkTalk £25.00 (*33.50)
    Up to 38Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Poll
*Javascript must be ON to vote*
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2065)
  2. FTTP (1417)
  3. Broadband Delivery UK (1388)
  4. FTTC (1334)
  5. Openreach (1060)
  6. Politics (1048)
  7. Business (948)
  8. Statistics (841)
  9. Fibre Optic (797)
  10. Mobile Broadband (760)
  11. Wireless Internet (708)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (704)
  13. 4G (648)
  14. Virgin Media (635)
  15. FTTH (610)
  16. Sky Broadband (493)
  17. TalkTalk (465)
  18. EE (419)
  19. Security (334)
  20. Vodafone (309)
New Forum Topics
Promotion
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules