Home
 » ISP News » 
Sponsored Links

Sky Broadband Won’t Sell to People Unable to Get 2Mbps Speeds

Saturday, Dec 31st, 2016 (1:56 am) - Score 4,157

Reliable sources have informed ISPreview.co.uk that Sky Broadband has recently made a stealthy change to their Internet access packages, which means they are no longer selling broadband (of any type) to customers with a Minimum Access Line Speed (MALS) of 2Mbps or less.

The move, which effectively locks out many of those still stuck on slower or poor quality copper ADSL lines (e.g. people in remote rural areas), comes shortly after Sky made the headlines by announcing that their broadband packages would start promoting “average speeds” alongside the more optimistic / standard “up to” rates (here).

One of the fears about adopting an approach that advocates advertising “average speeds” is that it could encourage some providers to start rejecting orders from those with slower lines, which over the longer term may result in the ISP being able to raise their “average speeds” in promotions (i.e. the speeds would no longer be dragged down as much by those with slower lines).

This also limits the choice for those who still suffer from 2Mbps or slower lines, perhaps unfairly so. On the other hand Ofcom estimates that only around 1% of UK premises cannot get a download speed of more than 2Mbps (here), although the real-world figure may be a tiny bit higher.

At this point we should highlight that most Sky Broadband subscribers use the ISPs unbundled (LLU) network, which is available to a little over 90% of the United Kingdom. However Sky does still connect a fair few subscribers in the remaining 10% of the UK via their off-net BT based broadband service (a good proportion of these will be slower or rural lines).

Sky has confirmed to us that the policy change was implemented on 13th December 2016, just before they adopted “average speeds” and perhaps unsurprisingly it’s been done very quietly. Separately we also note that some of Sky’s On-Demand video content requires a compatible box and minimum download speed of 2Mbps.

In Sky’s view those who suffer speeds of 2Mbps or less on ADSL lines will encounter a poor broadband experience (e.g. trouble streaming video), but the ISP did inform us that they will offer an FTTC (VDSL) based “fibre broadband” connection as an alternative if its available and of course that’s assuming it can go faster than 2Mbps (note: many ISPs also consider sub-2Mbps speeds on VDSL/FTTC to be where they draw the viable performance line).

Mark-Jackson
By Mark Jackson
Mark is a professional technology writer, IT consultant and computer engineer from Dorset (England), he also founded ISPreview in 1999 and enjoys analysing the latest telecoms and broadband developments. Find me on X (Twitter), Mastodon, Facebook and .
Search ISP News
Search ISP Listings
Search ISP Reviews

Comments are closed

Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Gigaclear £17.00
    Speed: 200Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Zzoomm £19.95
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • YouFibre £19.99
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Community Fibre £20.00
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • BeFibre £21.00
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Large Availability | View All
New Forum Topics
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £17.99
    Speed 33Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • UtilityWarehouse £19.99
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
    Gift: None
  • NOW £23.00
    Speed 63Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Vodafone £24.00
    Speed 73 - 82Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Shell Energy £24.99
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
Large Availability | View All
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5385)
  2. BT (3490)
  3. Politics (2494)
  4. Openreach (2275)
  5. Business (2221)
  6. Building Digital UK (2215)
  7. FTTC (2038)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1940)
  9. Statistics (1763)
  10. 4G (1639)
  11. Virgin Media (1589)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1438)
  13. FTTH (1379)
  14. Wireless Internet (1378)
  15. Fibre Optic (1375)
  16. 5G (1215)
  17. Vodafone (1126)
  18. EE (1111)
  19. TalkTalk (927)
  20. O2 (914)
Promotion
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms , Privacy and Cookie Policy , Links , Website Rules , Contact
Mastodon