Reviews » Broadband Fixed Line »

☰ Login   /   Signup ⚲ Search
19 Reviews
Posted: 17th Feb, 2024    By: bogof
Full Star Full Star Full Star Full Star Full Star
I've been extremely impressed since joining Unchained ISP on their top residential FTTP service of 1000Mbps Up / 115Mbps Down, which is provisioned via the BTW network on an Openreach FTTP line. I've previously had FTTP services from Zen and AAISP. I took the top package with Unchained ISP, which was very reasonably priced (similar to Zen, much less than AAISP), and has no usage limits. It came by default with a static IPV4 address, and I was able to upgrade with some extra static IPs for only a few pounds.

I've been very impressed by the performance; usually single threaded iperf3 tests to various locations across the UK and Europe are testing very close to the line rate, and latency is also excellent, averaging around 6-7ms to London servers (I'm in Norwich). The service has been rock solid since installation.

There is a well-organised support portal where queries are answered very quickly, and also a broadband portal that allows me to see live monitoring of the performance of the line, and make changes to various parameters. During the initial order, setup and following up I've had various interactions with Keith, which have been both prompt and very informative.

I'd highly recommend Unchained ISP if you are looking for a premium experience with personal service. 10/10.

Update 2/2024: 5 months in, service has been impeccable. Perfect ISP.

Time With Provider: 5 Months
Package Name: FTTP 1000/115
Posted: 04th Feb, 2024    By: markmcw
Full Star Full Star Full Star Full Star Full Star
I've never had a good experience with an ISP before. Until Unchained ISP came along. The team there has been fantastic, full of information and knowledge, and after every engagement, I'm left learning more and more about the complex beast that is the UK ISP infrastructure.

Keith, in particular, has been fantastic, with every query answered super-fast, plenty of information, and always happy to help.

Don't get me wrong, they're not the cheapest provider, but you're paying for that personal touch you just won't ever get with any other ISP. Be that proactive communications, the control panel so you can see all the intricate details of your broadband connection's status, down to the freedom to use the router and kit that you so wish.

I've been recommending Unchained for years to friends and family, and those who are happy to go with that lesser known provider have never once regretted the decision. Anyone who's unsure about going with a smaller provider, you shouldn't even think twice - you won't regret it. Gone are the days of poor customer service, intermittent outages and rip off price hikes.

Time With Provider: 3 Years
Package Name: 1gbps FTTP
Posted: 24th Jan, 2024    By: root
Full Star Full Star Full Star Full Star Full Star
Having been with some OK and not-so-OK ISPs over the years, often choosing based on cost above all factors and having a less than acceptable experience I settled upon Unchained as the 'best reviewed' provider on ISPReview.

I've been connected for around two weeks but so far I feel I have made a correct decision.
Prompt, common-sense answers to my presales questions, a smooth (and speedy) install process and an absolutely rock-solid line delivering better performance than when I was on gigabit down with BT Retail.

If you're the sort of person that just wants to get a "wifi box" in the post and plug it in this might not be the provider for you.

If you're the sort of person that's comfortable configuring your PPPoE credentials and know your way around your router's config pages (a router being an optional extra!) then you will likely be served well by Unchained. It's pure, unadulterated internet access that absolutely delivers even during 'peak times'.

Static v4 and v6 addresses come as standard, and the cost isn't all that much more than the more mainstream providers. A small price to pay to not deal with scripted call centres.

I've often considered going down the AAISP route, with them often being considered the 'gold standard' for nerdy folk but the tight limits always put me off.
I expect Unchained will give them a run for their money.

Time With Provider: 2 Weeks
Package Name: FTTP 1000/115
Posted: 17th Jan, 2024    By: Pal
Full Star Full Star Full Star Full Star Full Star
I found out about Unchained ISP after reading the very positive reviews on here, and like everyone else I must say I have never had such a great experience with an ISP. Keith has been great help during the set-up, and has managed to solve every single request and issue I've had so far.

Also Keith is super responsive, replying in minutes. No more waiting for days on end for an email reply or calling some helpline that will leave you waiting for 20 minutes until you talk to someone who is reading off a script and has no idea what the difference is between IPV4 and IPV6...

Price wise it's also super reasonable so I'm happy with that too.

The connection has been super stable so far and I have no issues to report.

Here's an anecdote that definitely sold me on Unchained ISP: the day I moved in to my new place, I didn't have time to set up my router due to unpacking etc. And on that day, Keith actually reached out within hours to make sure everything was ok on my end as he could see that I hadn't set up my router yet. Proactive consumer care like that is unheard of from ISPs and very much appreciated !

Overall 10/10 service, if only all service companies could be this good !

Time With Provider: 6 Weeks
Posted: 08th Dec, 2023    By: fntz
Full Star Full Star Full Star Full Star Full Star
My experience with Unchained ISP has been outstanding, highlighted by their efficient customer service and clear pricing. Unlike other ISPs, which often involve lengthy, scripted tech support calls, Unchained offers a swift and effective service. The time savings are absolutely invaluable.

**Cost Effectiveness:**
Though slightly pricier than some, they are not much higher. Pricing is offered without annual increases making it a cost-effective choice, especially when considering the often misleading discounted rates of other ISPs who can apply inflated annual prices rises by applying the rise to a pre-discounted monthly fee rather than the advertised monthly fee.

**Customer Service Experience:**
A minor sign-up issue was quickly resolved by their representative, Keith, who arranged a next-morning engineer visit with minimal effort from me. The Openreach ONT box was broken, so this was no fault of Unchained. This level of service is a welcome change from other ISPs, through which I have endured hours of pointless technical support scripts.

**Speed of Service:**
The sign-up process was impressively quick, taking less than a day, compared to the two-week standard with other providers.

**Contract Flexibility:**
They offer short-term contracts with low exit fees, but I do not anticipate that I will ever leave.

Package Name: Full fibre 1000Mbps
Posted: 01st Dec, 2023    By: blueberrynut
Title: SUPER ISP
Searched ISP Review for a good broadband company and selected Unchained. It was a great choice as the installation was quick, and professional, modem arrived a bit late, but as promised it was an easy set up and BINGO we were on!! Keith is fantastic to liaise with as he tracked the modem delivery and even tracked when we were able to connect!! Helpful, professional and the best choice for ISP we could have made. It is early days, as we have been with them for 1 week, but I am really impressed...glad that I selected this company!

Posted: 03rd Mar, 2023    By: AshToole
Full Star Full Star Full Star Full Star Full Star
Great service rom Keith, always on hand to help out and work through the issues. Was kept up to date every step of the way in the provision of the leased line and can't be happier with the speed and service

Time With Provider: 2 Weeks
Posted: 06th Dec, 2022    By: InPards
Full Star Full Star Full Star Full Star Full Star
Moved here from AAISP, tech support every bit as good and I've saved a few pennies. Glad I made the move.

Time With Provider: 9 Months
Package Name: SOGEA 80/20
Posted: 31st Jul, 2022    By: lerkle
Full Star Full Star Full Star Full Star Full Star
I cannot rate Unchained ISP highly enough. From the day I placed the order, Keith has added a personal touch you just don't get with some ISP's. It's fair to say I've been through a few ISP's small and big so it's taken a while to find one that does exactly what I need.
Low latency, great throughput and very high uptime at a reasonable price. Having constant quality monitoring is a massive bonus too. Top-notch ISP, Highly recommend!

Package Name: FTTP 220/30
Posted: 27th Jul, 2022    By: dylan
Title: Refreshing
I don't generate a lot of traffic and it's early days yet, but startup went smoothly and without any hitch.

Great support from Keith who listened and engaged with all my concerns during the whole process. All the information I needed was given at the right time without dumping it on me in one go.

I definitely felt he would have been there to help if I'd had any problems.

Package Name: SoGEA 40/10
  2. BT (3544)
  3. Politics (2572)
  4. Openreach (2322)
  5. Business (2298)
  6. Building Digital UK (2262)
  7. FTTC (2052)
  8. Mobile Broadband (2007)
  9. Statistics (1809)
  10. 4G (1696)
  11. Virgin Media (1651)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1482)
  13. Fibre Optic (1413)
  14. Wireless Internet (1408)
  15. FTTH (1382)