Home » 

UK ISP News Archives

 » 
Sponsored Links

Buckinghamshire and Hertfordshire Join Forces to Deploy Superfast Broadband

Posted: 07th Sep, 2011 By: MarkJ
buckinghamshire ukherts county councilThe UK Hertfordshire County Council (HCC) and neighbouring Buckinghamshire County Counil (BCC) have decided to establish a collaborative partnership and will now work together on a joint plan and procurement process for bringing superfast broadband download speeds of "up to 40Mbps" to local residents and businesses by 2015.

The government's Broadband Delivery UK (BDUK) office recently identified that 8.1% of premises (39,126) in Hertfordshire and 17% in Buckinghamshire (54,703) suffered from slow or no broadband connectivity at all. As a result it allocated £1,110,000 to HCC and £2,100,000 to BCC to help fill the gap.

Buckinghamshire's County Council Leader, Martin Tett, said:

"The development of broadband is critical for supporting the growth of our economy, and it's good for our efforts to focus on the creation of new jobs particularly for our young people."

The current plan, which foresees using a mix of fibre optic cabling and wireless internet technology, will go to tender in late summer 2012 and under the guidance of a new joint project team. As usual the funding will be met by local authorities and central government, matched by contributions from commercial broadband ISPs.

BDUK seeks to ensure that 90% of "people in each local authority area" can access a superfast broadband (25Mbps+) ISP service by 2015 (the remaining 10% will only get a minimum speed of 2Mbps).
Search ISP News
Search ISP Listings
Search ISP Reviews
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £26.00
132Mbps
Gift: None
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Gift: None
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Gift: None
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Gift: None
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £17.00
200Mbps
Gift: None
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Gift: None
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5582)
  2. BT (3533)
  3. Politics (2554)
  4. Openreach (2312)
  5. Business (2284)
  6. Building Digital UK (2253)
  7. FTTC (2050)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1991)
  9. Statistics (1800)
  10. 4G (1681)
  11. Virgin Media (1640)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1473)
  13. Fibre Optic (1406)
  14. Wireless Internet (1401)
  15. FTTH (1382)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules