Home » 

UK ISP News Archives

 » 
Sponsored Links

NextGenUs Expands Community Built Rural Superfast Broadband Ideals UK Wide

Posted: 12th Oct, 2011 By: MarkJ
uk mapnextgenus community broadband ukNextGenUs CIC ( Fibrestream ), a community network builder that specialises in deploying true superfast fibre optic based broadband ISP services into remote rural UK towns and villages, has today moved to expand its "Social Enterprise" approach (i.e. getting local people to help build and invest in the infrastructure) across the country with the launch of a new website.

The operators mix of 100Mbps capable Fibre-to-the-Home ( FTTH ) and Wi-Fi (aka - FiWi) technology has already helped to connect a number of remote locations and villages, from the RNLI station in Humber (here) to their plans for covering the whole of Cumbria (here). So far their privately funded and community owned approach has not required any government funding to deliver.

Fibrestream (NextGenUs) Founder, Guy Jarvis, said:

"Time and tide are clearly right for the mass uptake of superfast broadband across the UK and the subject is gaining significant and growing momentum as local communities recognise the unique benefits of the NextGenUs Social Enterprise approach.

Rural communities have simply had enough of market failure by BT and lack of delivery by BDUK and activists are popping up all over wanting to become NextGenUs Fi:Wi Pioneers to ensure that their local communities secure their place at the forefront of future-proof superfast broadband service."

NextGenUs would ideally like to establish "pioneering exemplar networks in every county across the UK" and has called upon residents and businesses of any related rural villages to become 'Broadband Pioneers' by registering their interest via the new website; www.nextgenus.co.uk.

The site does a good job of simplifying the processes involved and NextGenUs looks to be taking the task seriously, although its aim to expand beyond a few niche rural deployments is both complex, difficult and runs the risk of clashing with similar ideals by other operators. Still, the country is probably big enough for everybody.

The governments Broadband Delivery UK (BDUK) office currently aims to bring superfast broadband (24Mbps+) services to 90% of the population by 2015, although that still leaves a not insignificant 10% out in the cold. Some will be happy with Satellite but others may want something more robust and this is where NextGenUs hopes to help.
Search ISP News
Search ISP Listings
Search ISP Reviews
 Latest UK ISP News
 Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
NOW UK ISP Logo
NOW £25.00
100Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £25.00
132Mbps
Gift: None
Vodafone UK ISP Logo
Vodafone £26.50 - 27.00
150Mbps
Gift: None
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Gift: None
150,000+ Customers | View More ISPs
 Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £17.00
200Mbps
Gift: None
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £19.00
150Mbps
Gift: None
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £21.99
150Mbps
Gift: None
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Modest Availability | View More ISPs
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
NOW UK ISP Logo
NOW £25.00
100Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £25.00
132Mbps
Gift: None
Vodafone UK ISP Logo
Vodafone £26.50 - 27.00
150Mbps
Gift: None
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Gift: None
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £17.00
200Mbps
Gift: None
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £19.00
150Mbps
Gift: None
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £21.99
150Mbps
Gift: None
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5649)
  2. BT (3547)
  3. Politics (2578)
  4. Openreach (2327)
  5. Business (2304)
  6. Building Digital UK (2263)
  7. FTTC (2054)
  8. Mobile Broadband (2015)
  9. Statistics (1815)
  10. 4G (1703)
  11. Virgin Media (1654)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1485)
  13. Fibre Optic (1414)
  14. Wireless Internet (1410)
  15. FTTH (1382)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules