Home » 

UK ISP News Archives

 » 
Sponsored Links

Latest OECD Broadband Price & Speed Statistics

Posted: 13th Nov, 2007 By: MarkJ
The Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) has reported that the average price of a month’s broadband subscription in the OECD is $49 (roughly £24). Fibre To The Home/Building (FTTH) technology is the most expensive ($51) and fixed wireless the cheapest ($33).

Typically this figure does not represent a per megabit (Mb) comparison. The average price per advertised Mbit/s of connectivity in the OECD is naturally a lot less at $18 (£9):

Japan, France, Sweden, Korea and Finland have the least expensive offers per Mbit/s

o Japan: USD 0.13
o France : USD 0.33
o Sweden: USD 0.35
o Korea: USD 0.38
o Finland: USD 0.42

Fibre connections are nearly 5 times less expensive per Mbit/s than DSL, cable or wireless.

o DSL: USD 19.21
o Cable: USD 18.96
o Fiber to the home/building: 3.75
o Wireless: USD 18.69

Meanwhile the average advertised download speed in the OECD is 13.7 Mbit/s, with the fastest average speeds coming from Japan (93 Mbit/s), France (44 Mbit/s), Korea (43 Mbit/s) and Sweden (21 Mbit/s).

FTTH advertised download speeds in the OECD average 77.1 Mbit/s, much higher than DSL (9.0 Mbit/s), cable (8.6 Mbit/s) or fixed wireless (1.8 Mbit/s). Naturally we see a similar trend with uploads:

o Fibre-to-the-home/building: 58.6 Mbit/s
o DSL: 1.6 Mbit/s
o Cable: 0.7 Mbit/s
o Fixed wireless: 0.7 Mbit/s

Some 30 countries make up the OECD and 20 of those are known to impose data caps on broadband connections. Interestingly the average cap size is 21GB's of monthly traffic.

Once a customer reaches the monthly cap, the ISP reduces download speeds in 29% of the offers to an average of just 82Kbps! In the remaining 71% of offers they'd pay an average of $34 per additional GB until the end of the month.
Search ISP News
Search ISP Listings
Search ISP Reviews
 Latest UK ISP News
 Cheapest Superfast Broadband ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £17.99
    Speed 33Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • UtilityWarehouse £19.99
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
    Gift: None
  • NOW £24.00
    Speed 63Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Vodafone £24.00
    Speed 73 - 82Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Shell Energy £24.99
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
Large Availability | Compare More ISPs
 Cheapest Ultrafast Broadband ISPs
  • Gigaclear £17.00
    Speed: 200Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Zzoomm £19.95
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • YouFibre £19.99
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Community Fibre £20.00
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • BeFibre £21.00
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Large Availability | Compare More ISPs
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £17.99
    Speed 33Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • UtilityWarehouse £19.99
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
    Gift: None
  • NOW £24.00
    Speed 63Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Vodafone £24.00
    Speed 73 - 82Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Shell Energy £24.99
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Gigaclear £17.00
    Speed: 200Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Zzoomm £19.95
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • YouFibre £19.99
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Community Fibre £20.00
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • BeFibre £21.00
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Sponsored Links
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5387)
  2. BT (3490)
  3. Politics (2494)
  4. Openreach (2275)
  5. Business (2222)
  6. Building Digital UK (2215)
  7. FTTC (2038)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1940)
  9. Statistics (1763)
  10. 4G (1639)
  11. Virgin Media (1590)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1438)
  13. FTTH (1379)
  14. Wireless Internet (1378)
  15. Fibre Optic (1376)
  16. 5G (1215)
  17. Vodafone (1126)
  18. EE (1111)
  19. TalkTalk (927)
  20. O2 (915)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules