AAISP

95%
96%
95%
88%
Summary: What's bad to say? Nothing I can think of right now!
November 3rd, 2017 (Last Edited: November 9th, 2017)
I was originally with Zen but had issues with my first connection and line which were never really resolved. I decided enough was enough so ordered a second line from AAISP (SoHo::1 2TB on VDSL2) and a few weeks following the order the Openreach engineer installed it. My second line was on a new line card which had newer a ECI firmware (d086) and gave me a nice speed boost compared to my first line with Zen.

So, where to begin... lets start with customer service. Excellent! I had to make use of it initially before the order was installed. What happened was I wanted to try L2TP for a simple speed test over my problematic Zen connection but I didn't realise this would then make the system believe the line was installed. Understandably I was in a bit of panic so first thing the following morning I contacted AAISP to explain and was prepared to pay upcoming charges as long as the installation date was unaffected. Thankfully nothing was harmed and the upcoming charges were even cancelled!

After the service was installed I noticed that unfortunately this line was also suffering with a line issue (excessive error seconds on the downstream). On my Zen connection I was also suffering with slow single threaded download speeds and packet loss blips, where on the new AAISP connection it was fine. So anyway, I went to AAISP's IRC to ask if I should report this potential line issue even though the CIDT (PSTN) test was passing fine on the control panel. Shaun told me they should be able to help with this.

Four SFI engineers later and I think it’s resolve, I’m waiting on DLM at the moment to restore fastpath. This is the service I should've had from Zen. AAISP persisted and fought my corner! Thanks goes to Shaun and Stuart.

Even if the problem is still there, I'm still greatly appreciative of the efforts by AAISP to help me and after this experience I wouldn't dream of touching another ISP again. As I work from home a good internet connection is valuable to me.

As for everything else, control panel is very functional allowing me to do various things such as kill my connection, run a PSTN test (CIDT), traffic dump, change the downstream line rate percentage, MTU, etc. CQM graph is useful. Every detail about the order progress and the fault is reported on there too (e.g. engineer notes). Support and their IRC community are both friendly and helpful. Not had any buffering on iPlayer or Netflix or slow downloads unlike on my Zen connection. Yes, it's a bit expensive perhaps, but it's worth the price for sure.

I'll update this review if and when DLM returns fastpath or if anything changes in the future. I would’ve wrote more but there’s a 600 word limit, it was difficult deciding what to remove from my original review.

EDIT (09/11/17): Connection fully restored to fastpath and so far errors appear to be virtually non-existent.
Review Ratings
Summary: How an ISP should be
November 1st, 2017 (Last Edited: November 1st, 2017)
I switched to AAISP from PlusNet/JohnLewis who made a complete pigs ear of the process, while AAISP were impeccable.

The big draw was not having to have the 'BT tax' and allowed us to drop the landline and all the spam calls we were getting.

The price for 200GB fibre is a few pounds more than the competition (£45 all in with line rental), but the superb service and technical knowledge easily make this worthwhile.

They've also recently added a 'rollover' policy where half the unused quota carries over to the next month, which sealed the deal for me, and prompted the change.
Review Ratings
Summary: Excellent so far but the 100GB limit is (was) too low (UPDATE 2)
December 23rd, 2015 (Last Edited: October 30th, 2017)
I switched to AA after many years with PlusNet. The day I switched, BT decide to upgrade my local exchange to ADSL2+. It took me about a week to realise that it wasn't the switch to AA that gave me a much needed speed boost but the highly coincidental exchange upgrade.

No problems with AA so far. I like the dashboard controls and the ability to monitor usage and line performance - very nice features.

My only gripe is that in an Apple dominated household with iCloud, Photos, iTunes, iPhones, etc, the basic 100GB limit is NOT enough. I'd be happy paying £25pm for a more reasonable 200GB. I would urge AA to seriously consider increasing this, otherwise I may have to switch back to (the now much faster) unlimited PlusNet after my minimum contract period expires.
---
Two years later....and after a house move, back with AA again and now on FTTC with a slightly better 150GB monthly limit. The overall value proposition is much better if you take AA's VOIP service taking call costs and line rental into account. Therefore I have increased the value rating from 5 to 9. VOIP is excellent and AA's customer service is as outstanding as ever.
---
Now with a new rolling carry-over scheme of ½ of your unused bandwidth. AAISP continues to get better and better.
Review Ratings
Summary: You get what you pay for
October 26th, 2017 (Last Edited: October 26th, 2017)
It has been said before but I will say it again. With A&A you get what you pay for.

The speed is excellent. The reliability is superb. Support is near perfect. Sure their is no 24 hour phone support but out of hours I got help on IRC, which I only had to use once just after signing up.

Support are UK based and know what they are doing.

I love the static IP address and the fact A&A don't prohibit running home based servers. In my case email and Nextcloud.

The control panel is great. Visibility of your service I doubt you would get anywhere else.

I am on the 1TB package which is plenty for me even with the wife consuming a lot of on demand video.

The bill is more than the rivals but it is worth it for sure.

Would I recommend A&A to others? Yes I would.
Review Ratings
Summary: Top rate.
October 15th, 2017 (Last Edited: October 15th, 2017)
I have only been with Andrews and Arnold for a month, after a torrid time at BT. Since ordering from them everything has been absolutely top rate. Extremely helpful and friendly staff, who speak English with an English accent that I can understand. Everything was done promptly and efficiently, and the broadband has worked without a hitch since. Highly recommended.