AAISP

95%
96%
95%
88%
Summary: Home::1 / Terabyte
September 21st, 2017 (Last Edited: September 21st, 2017)
Andrews & Arnold ask customers to review them on this site.

On services:

Unlike my previous ISP, which would bundle a lot of unwanted features like online storage, antivirus, an e-mail account, and so forth, Andrews & Arnold's broadband is just that: broadband. I think that's a good thing.

Although "just broadband", it's fully functional: static addresses, no filtering, and quite configurable. The control panel works very well, providing a wealth of features that other providers wouldn't trust their customers with, such as overriding the negotiated MTU, clamping MSS, resetting the line from their side, or delegating RDNS.

The most impressive feature is the Constant Quality Monitoring, which provides near real-time graphs of bandwidth use, latency, packet loss, loss of carrier, and so forth. There are also settings for alerts for service outages or planned engineering work.

On support:

AAISP have a reputation for impeccable technical support. However, it is officially during "office hours" only (plus Saturday morning). This is understandable for a small company, but it makes things harder for home users.

I've had mixed results from my interactions. When a purchase failed because one part of their system doesn't understand their own two-factor authentication mechanism, I was first told "It should work". After another email and once the scenario had been confirmed by others, I got back "I'll look into it", but I had to email a follow up a day later to ask for my purchase to be put through manually.

Likewise, attracting staff attention on IRC can be a hit-or-miss affair, but the community there is often helpful.

My line has been reliable and any network issues have been beyond A&A's control, but other aspects of the A&A service have been less so. For example, my VoIP phone has re-registered four times in the past two days, and people on IRC were reporting missed calls yesterday.

On speed:

For VDSL connections, the sync speed is out of the ISP's hands. I've not found AAISP to be the bottleneck, but I was always able to max my line out on BT as well.

My latency over the TalkTalk backhaul is worse than it was with BT. AAISP say they have no control over this.

On value:

I like that AAISP don't provide a "free" modem or bundle anything extra: ultimately, such packages just mean charging people for things they don't want. In general, the pricing structure on AAISP is simple and honest. If you need a router, they'll supply one for £25.

I was hesitant to move to AAISP due to the 1TB data cap, but after monitoring my usage for a month beforehand, I found I only average 8 to 10GB per day, so didn't need the "unlimited" broadband offered by other providers. Andrews & Arnold have recently changed their Home::1 tariffs to allow carrying half of the remaining allowance into the next month, which is a very fair change that would mean an occasional heavy period isn't a problem.

Having said this, the price isn't cheap in comparison to other pure broadband packages.

A&A are content to provide a broadband-only phone line for £10, which is is recommended so that there's one point-of-contact for faults and cheaper than BT line rental. But rather than charge something for nothing, perhaps it would be nice if they offered free migration to VoIP for those who want it, instead of for an additional £1.20?
Review Ratings
Summary: Transfer
September 19th, 2017 (Last Edited: September 19th, 2017)
I've just transferred to AAISP, and everything went flawlessly, with useful informative messages throughout. The only query was instantly responded to there and then on the phone.

So far, no problems with the line or setup.

Any issues with speed will be due to the line from me to the cabinet, not AAISP.

Not the cheapest, but provides features I would like and are keeping up to date (eg. IPv6 support out of the box).
Review Ratings
Summary: Fantastically helpful where others won’t even bother trying
September 16th, 2017 (Last Edited: September 16th, 2017)
Got a line fluctuation with BT? Good luck with that, in my experience you’ll need it. The same issue with Andrews and Arnold and they won’t let the issue go until it’s fixed.

Throughput on their network is excellent, dropped packets are rare and even measured proactively by their team. Support is equally excellent, with none of the nonsense about trying to break through 1st line support to speak to someone that understands what you are saying.

All in all excellent.
Review Ratings
Summary: Excellent
August 29th, 2017 (Last Edited: August 29th, 2017)
There's something to be said when you view your internet provider like it doesn't really exist. This is how it should be done.

Very happy with the previous 12 months of service, support and the multitude of ways to get in touch, including IRC is a breath of fresh air.

Now the value is the question, and by far the most subjective. I, like many others just want the internet to work and not have to deal with problems, but if and when they arise the details aren't hidden through some obscure generic messages or untrained first line support. I praise AA highly in this regard and therefore a high value rating.

I've purposefully removed two points off value because I believe they should have larger packages than 1TB, there's a 2TB package but the pricing is a big step up if you only use a small percentage extra. I've relayed this to sales and they will take it into consideration.

Would I recommend AAISP? Absolutely. If the internet is important to you and price isn't a high factor in your decision making, you'll get your money's worth and a great team to back it up.
Review Ratings
Summary: Great Company
August 18th, 2017 (Last Edited: August 18th, 2017)
Really impressed with AAISP. They managed to sort everything seamlessly when my direct neighbours are still having BT problems.
Great tech support and sales team. Very happy and worth paying more for.
Am finding the 150gb allowance restrictive, hope that increases as top ups will be a significant extra cost over time.