Zen Internet

78%
73%
78%
66%
Summary: Mostly very good
January 16th, 2017 (Last Edited: January 16th, 2017)
I had an ADSL line with Zen for a short time and found the network to be exceptionally good. However, I am not sure why Zen's customer service is so highly rated as my experiences were that they can be a bit slow to reply to questions, and in my case they didn't spend the effort to answer my question about ADSL to FTTC upgrades (which another ISP was willing to investigate with Openreach, so got my business). Overall, very good in the important area of having a quality network - and IPV6 too!
Review Ratings
Summary: Zen Broadband Service
January 15th, 2017 (Last Edited: January 15th, 2017)
I have been using Zen for more years than I can remember. I only briefly changed provider once to reduce costs. It was a big mistake, you get what you pay for with Zen. I now use Zen for Broadband and Landline.

I live in a rural area where we currently have to rely on BT's copper infrastructure which is very poor. We will shortly be getting the opportunity to move to a Wireless ethernet solution, including broadband and voip. It would be great if Zen negotiated contracts with these new players to provide communications across their infrastructure. We will not miss BT/Openreach.
Summary: C r a p
November 29th, 2016 (Last Edited: November 29th, 2016)
Not what they used to be. Became like many others before totally useless and unprofessional.

Still waiting for a response to an email sent on the 22nd of November.

I don`t think it`s coming..
Review Ratings
Summary: decent service
June 4th, 2016 (Last Edited: June 4th, 2016)
Good internet is like good coffee.

Reasons I use zen:
* static IPs and decent latency/ping. I host servers
* IPv6 is available (when you ask them for it)
* decent overall service with high uptime, without much congestion (ideally none) during different times of day
* no censorship. they don't block sites/ports. they allow traffic to flow.
* a very freedom/privacy friendly AUP

Most ISPs are like your typical instant coffee. It's 60-70% purity, and they
don't care about you. They only want their money, and they make it as cheap
and **** as possible to cut costs and compete with others.

A&A is more like pure, squeezed coffee. It's 99.8% pure, and it's black. They
charge 10x as much, but you get what you pay for, and you get the best possible
customer service. They even give you the squeezer and all the tools, and help
you learn how to use them.

Zen is still almost pure. They're still very good, better than most, 2nd only
to a&a. Theirs is 96% pure. It's good enough for almost everyone, unless you're
a snob, and it's much cheaper to buy (while still being a bit more
expensive than everything else).

I drink coffee all day, while writing code and pushing
code to git repositories using my Zen internet connection, while chatting on
IRC. I host the website for one of my projects on a Zen VDSL line.

I was previously using a&a, which I still think is the best ISP. However, Zen
now provides IPv6 (if you ask for it) and always provided static IPs and subnets
like a&a. Their customer service is still decent, and they provide more or less
the same features, while also providing unlimited download usage and being a
bit cheaper.

One thing I have noticed is that Zen does sometimes drop in speed, but not by
much. This is one of the reasons why a&a costs more (they buy more lines and
aggressively weed out all congestion, when possible).

Overall, I'm happy with Zen. It's not the best, but it's reasonably priced
and better than almost everything else, now with IPv6 capability. I'm using
a router on it that I set up myself with libreCMC, instead of the router that
Zen provided.

I also switched the ISP at my parents house over to Zen, and they're happy with it.

The service that I use is "unlimited fibre 1" (40/10 VDSL). If you're in one of the few good areas of the UK, they also provide FTTP but I can't get that.
Review Ratings
Summary: Really Excellent Support
March 19th, 2016 (Last Edited: March 19th, 2016)
They're not the cheapest but I wouldn't change to another ISP without really thinking hard about it. We had the phone line severed by a fallen branch some time back. My next door neighbour, a TalkTalk customer, called on a Friday to get things fixed - BT Openreach were due out the following Thursday. I rang Zen on Monday and Openreach were out the next day! I also had a problem with bandwidth recently but they were good enough to talk me through everything required to troubleshoot and fix. Compare this with ICUK, who I was using from 2011-2012. I lost my broadband with them after a) an upgrade to the exchange and b) their have an incorrect validation phone number on their database. 19 days without internet, all the way through the Olympic Games! Despite their best efforts, I had to change - to Zen - and haven't looked back since.