AAISP

95%
95%
96%
88%
Summary: Effortless
January 27th, 2015 (Last Edited: January 27th, 2015)
Been with A&A for around 10 years at four addresses. Wouldn't change. Just moved house and upgraded to 40/10 FTTC. Also got a data-only phone line from them.
Everything worked first time, on time.
Cannot recommend these people too highly.
Review Ratings
Summary: Excellent service and no monitoring
January 20th, 2015 (Last Edited: January 20th, 2015)
AAISP provide a service that is very different to your typical ISP.

We signed up for 80/20 FTTC on the Home::1 tariff. The predicted line speed on BT Wholesale was marginal for 80/20, so we wanted to be able to switch down to 40/10 without issue.

We are exceptionally heavy Internet users (200-300GB/month) so also required an increased quota.

Of course, all of this comes at a cost, costing more than most of their competitors. But with this, we get:
* Low and consistent latency - 16ms whatever the time of the day.
* No throttling or speed restrictions. Our old ISP used to throttle if we used the Internet heavily in the day, despite being "unlimited". The advantage of AAISP not having an unlimited tariff is that they can pay for the bandwidth they need and guarantee you get the best speeds.
* No monitoring - I know that they have no systems in place to store any communications data. This is very important to us.
* IPv6 working, out of the box. Each one of our network devices has it's own IPv6 address.
* No NAT - we have added a block of IPv4 addresses, allowing us to ditch NAT.
* No restrictions on running servers on your line.
* Tech support available by IRC and email, very proactive, very knowledgeable.
* Comprehensive line monitoring including throughput, latency and usage.
* Their ethos is to maintain your privacy and digital rights, in stark contrast to the big ISPs.

After ~12 days of 80/20 service, we decided we would switch down to 40/10 service as the difference was marginal. This was done simply by sending an email.

If you rely on the Internet, want functionality like IPv6, or are simply fed up with government monitoring, AAISP is for you.

Review Ratings
Summary: Upgrade review
January 14th, 2015 (Last Edited: January 14th, 2015)
I've been with AAISP since 2011, starting with a 20CN connection on BT, then a free upgrade to a 20MB Talk Talk connection. Recently I've moved to a 40MB FTTC connection on BT.
Over the years I've only had few problems with my connection but when there have been issues (DDOS amplification attack, speed dropping off) support has always been excellent. There were no issues in increasing my IPV4 address allocation so I don't have to use NAT and IPV6 'just works'. I can run my own email, web and DNS servers. On technical issues (DNS, domain registration) they are knowledgeable, polite and helpful especially at the point where my technical understanding runs out.
Prior to my recent move to FTTC they gave me some really useful advice which enabled me to get the Openreach engineer to do the installation exactly how I wanted it (moving master sockets using existing internal wiring).
As others have pointed out there is a cost for this efficiency and knowledge but this is only applicable if you are comparing it to the cost of a pure 'consumer' service. Other ISPs would be charging me business rates for the connection I have from AAISP and at appropriate charging levels. On a 'like for like' basis AAISP provide a reliable, technically 1st class, cost effective service. On top of all this you get a proper grown up unfiltered connection - it's a nanny free zone.
Review Ratings
Summary: Worth every penny
January 12th, 2015 (Last Edited: January 12th, 2015)
I migrated to A&A about a year ago onto their Home::1 package and was put onto their Talktalk backhaul which gives me a good measure of control over my line. In the year I have been with them I have had a good solid connection with excellent speeds and no significant issue until the early hours of a recent Saturday morning my router started syncing, holding sync for a minute or so,usually long enough for authentication to take place, then dropping sync and starting all over again.

I tried all the usual things at home such as a different router, connecting to the master socket etc. to no avail. Unfortunately, A&A don't provide support out of business hours and while they wouldn't have been able to do much as it turned out to be an exchange fault, it would have been nice to have been able to talk to someone. To their credit support staff are often available on their IRC channel, but with no broadband and all but no mobile phone reception here,there was no way of contacting anyone.

On Monday morning I phoned A&A, the phone was answered within seconds by Alan who ran through the problem with me, went through all the checks I had already done, as he was required to do, and concluded that it was almost certainly an external fault and raised the issue with Talktalk, who arranged for a BT OR engineer to come out on Wednesday.

Due to a detected line fault the first engineer was not a broadband man but he did as much as he could and rectified a line fault. I contacted Alan immediately and he arranged for a broadband engineer to come on Thursday who spent a considerable amount of time on the case and rectified the fault with a lift and shift on Talktalk's kit in the exchange.

Throughout the whole exercise Alan kept me informed of progress and checked how things were going at my end.

The good things here are that I was able to speak the same person at A&A every time I called, the phone was answered quickly every time, and the case was followed through to a successful conclusion.

In the not too distant future I should be able to get FTTC and I have considered migrating to a different ISP, partly for cost reasons but also due to the cap on downloads that A&A impose. However,after this experience I am inclined to pay the higher cost of staying with A&A and hope that they will see fit to increase their Home::1 allowance to 200GB so as to be competitive with people like IDNet and to some extent Zen. The 100GB cap isn't much of an issue for me at the moment but it could easily become so and the extra £10/month to raise the cap would make A&A much more expensive.

So, yes, A&A have lived up to their reputation and have proved to be a first class ISP. It's a bit like insurance, a cheap ISP is OK when things work, but when things go wrong you need people who can and will get things done.

Thank you Alan, and everyone at A&A.

Adrian
Review Ratings
Summary: Excellent!
January 7th, 2015 (Last Edited: January 7th, 2015)
I've used AAISP for about a month and a half, and I'm very impressed.

- As a user, I get a very comprehensive control panel, including some outstanding quality monitoring graphs which make fault analysis a lot easier. I can even run several line tests myself, before contacting support, and I can add my own notes to the graphs so that AAISP can see what's going on at my end.

- This control panel also shows me what AAISP are doing (and plan to do). I can see their planned tasks, and I can see what's happening.

- There has been a fault on our line for years (before we signed up for AAISP), and ADSL was completely unusable with previous ISPs. We have just got FTTC in the area, and even though the fault was technically with BT's phone line, AAISP were quite willing to pursue matters in case BT couldn't (or wouldn't) fix the phone line.

- When the line drops, they (optionally) send me a text message. For those running servers and suchlike, this could be very useful indeed. (Note that the connection hasn't dropped since BT fixed our phone line.)

- Their policy of openness and neutrality, and their sensible approach to internet behaviour is appealing. There are several details in other reviews and on AAISP's website so I won't repeat them here.

If you're considering AAISP, there are a couple of things to be aware of:

- The cost appears slightly higher than other ISPs, but it is money well spent. BT (and the like) may offer a lower price for an apparently similar service, but the facilities and support that AAISP provide are well worth the money. Users with very high bandwidth requirements may find the price rather high, but unless you regularly download several hundred GB per month it is unlikely to be a problem. (Their "Home::1" package has no concept of peak and off-peak hours.)

- I don't know how suited they would be for non-technical users. I like that they present a lot of information, but this might put some people off. Of course, there are _loads_ of other ISPs for people who don't want to see the technical stuff, and very few for those who do, so I wouldn't want AAISP to change this.

Overall, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend AAISP. After years of dealing with other ISPs, it is very refreshing to speak to a support department who don't just read a turn-it-off-and-on-again script. Real technical support is very accessible, too. (They even have an IRC channel.)
Review Ratings

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved (Terms, Privacy Policy, Links (.), Live Chat & Website Rules).