AAISP

94%
95%
96%
88%
Summary: Very content
March 2nd, 2015 (Last Edited: March 2nd, 2015)
As broadband has just reached our area for the first time (Jan 2015), I was keen to use an ISP with a high service score and chose A&A based on reviews on this site

The entire process went very smoothly, responses from the service desk were quick and informative and the speed with which the service came on-line surprised the Open Reach engineer

Highly recommended
Review Ratings
Summary: Really Happy
February 28th, 2015 (Last Edited: February 28th, 2015)
I was recommended to this provider as my current provider had huge speed issues especially in peak times.
I am not a technical person in the slightest but I can say that I have been really happy with the speed and the service I have received from them has been excellent and I will be recommending them to other people.
Review Ratings
Summary: Great attitude, great service, techier than the average
February 3rd, 2015 (Last Edited: February 3rd, 2015)
I've been using AAISP for about a year. I was a relatively satisfied Be customer fishing about for a new ISP after that firm was acquired by Sky.

I probably happened upon AAISP from an article about government attempts to sanitise the internet via ineffective web filtering. Once I'd seen the website and AAISP's attitude to filtering, censorship and privacy, I was half way to signing up. Asking around, one or two friends were already using AAISP and didn't hesitate to recommend them.

Overall I am extremely happy to be an AAISP customer. The changeover was easy, the preconfigured router being pretty much plug and play. The supplier change was handled without much needed from my end. The router AAISP supplied is the same brand that Be provided, but a different model. The user interface is virtually identical, and it's easy to use, if a bit slow. I would prefer it if AAISP supplied a router with (or compatible with) open source software (eg OpenWRT) but so far I've had no problems with the functionality.

It seems that there is an assumption on AAISP's part that their customers have a lot more technical expertise than customers of the big industry players. That's probably true, but that could well be down to AAISP's communications and content in the first place. I feel they could do more to attract people alienated by some of the techy language but who would love to be customers due to their public position on important issues. It's good that you get through to someone who understands any issues you might be experiencing, but I've had to ask staff to repeat explanations in English as I don't understand the acronyms and other technical terms they sometimes use.

I also feel the AAISP website and user account interfaces could do with a major redesign with the help of a UX designer and information architect. Products/services need to be more clearly structured and segregated from other information and advice, and user account information/data is hard to understand without an explanation. It has the look and feel of something built by and for technical people for internal use, rather than for customers of all levels of skill and experience.

Things haven't been completely plain sailing. I've had replies to PGP encrypted emails in plain text which included my original text, defeating the point of using encryption in the other direction. Also, when we moved home, a mistake made by AAISP staff meant that getting our supply up and running again was delayed by a few days. We were also double charged a month around the same time. That said, as the mistake was at their end, AAISP put effort in to solve the issue quickly, so credit is due again.

I am endlessly impressed by the stand the company and its MD take on issues of freedom of speech and privacy. Indeed, how many other ISPs even accept PGP encrypted emails to their support team, even if they sometimes respond a bit strangely?

As for the internet supply itself - it's always worked fine for me, running one PC over Ethernet and several devices over Wi-Fi in a fairly large flat. I could find cheaper elsewhere, but you get what you pay for. In that sense, AAISP is excellent value. I've recommended AAISP to a number of friends and I know that some have become customers as a result.
Review Ratings
Summary: Brilliant Technical Support
February 3rd, 2015 (Last Edited: February 3rd, 2015)
You want an ISP that delivers a good service, reliably. Many ISP's will do this. But when things go wrong, you want support, great support, and things to get fixed. This is where AAISP shines.
I worked from home, for IBM, and was with BT, because that's what IBM provided. My ADSL would fail, then recover up to ten times per day. Continual complaints got me nowhere, so I decided to find my own ISP, at my own expense, and AAISP promised to get my ADSL fixed.
As soon as I was connected via AAISP, they took action. BT engineers started appearing, nearly every day, but no fault was found. After about a week, things went up a gear. I had four Openreach vans parked outside my house, and seven BT engineers, peering at every conceivable point of failure.
They even came on Sunday! Towards the end of the day, a BT engineer knocked on the door and sheepishly admitted that they'd found the problem. The roof of the exchange was leaking... right above their ADSL rack. My circuit ran through the card at the top. There was moss growing on it... the ADSL got fixed the following day.
I've been with AAISP ever since. Yes, I could get a cheaper deal, but I know who's there, should I need help again.
Support: As Nigel Tufnel (Spinal Tap) said: "These go to 11"
Speed: I live in the "wrong sort of place", but my speed beats all my neighbours.
Value: Yes, they cost more, and most of the time you won't notice the difference, but when your ADSL goes wrong, you'll notice.
I've been with AAISP ever since.
Review Ratings
Summary: Excellent service and no monitoring
January 20th, 2015 (Last Edited: February 2nd, 2015)
AAISP provide a service that is very different to your typical ISP.

We signed up for 80/20 FTTC on the Home::1 tariff. The predicted line speed on BT Wholesale was marginal for 80/20, so we wanted to be able to switch down to 40/10 without issue.

We are exceptionally heavy Internet users (200-300GB/month) so also required an increased quota.

Of course, all of this comes at a cost, costing more than most of their competitors. But with this, we get:
* Low and consistent latency - 9ms whatever the time of the day.
* No throttling or speed restrictions. Our old ISP used to throttle if we used the Internet heavily in the day, despite being "unlimited". The advantage of AAISP not having an unlimited tariff is that they can pay for the bandwidth they need and guarantee you get the best speeds.
* No monitoring - I know that they have no systems in place to store any communications data. This is very important to us.
* IPv6 working, out of the box. Each one of our network devices has it's own IPv6 address.
* No NAT - we have added a block of IPv4 addresses, allowing us to ditch NAT.
* No restrictions on running servers on your line.
* Tech support available by IRC and email, very proactive, very knowledgeable.
* Comprehensive line monitoring including throughput, latency and usage.
* Their ethos is to maintain your privacy and digital rights, in stark contrast to the big ISPs.

After ~12 days of 80/20 service, we decided we would switch down to 40/10 service as the difference was marginal. This was done simply by sending an email.

If you rely on the Internet, want functionality like IPv6, or are simply fed up with government monitoring, AAISP is for you.

As a quick addition - I do a lot of network scans for penetration testing. For a start, most ISPs technically don't allow this. AAISP do. But the 9ms latency means that scans run exceptionally fast compared to competitors.

Review Ratings

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved (Terms, Privacy Policy, Links (.), Live Chat & Website Rules).