AAISP

94%
94%
95%
88%
Summary: Great for technical users
August 29th, 2014 (Last Edited: August 29th, 2014)
I've been a software and systems engineer for 15 years, working remotely from abroad for a company back home in Norway. When I recently moved to the UK I needed a reliable Internet connection as soon as possible, and AAISP had me online the day after I moved in.

The connection has proven very reliable, the speed is good (considering I'm on ADSL), and native IPv6 support is fantastic. The staff, who clearly know their stuff, have been very helpful in getting everything arranged. Their online status and management systems are also among the best I've seen, although the user interface could use a fresh coat of paint.

Fairly expensive, but well worth it; I wouldn't hesitate to recommend AAISP for technical users.
Review Ratings
Summary: Excellent Service but at a price
August 21st, 2014 (Last Edited: August 21st, 2014)
I've been using AAISP for over 2 years now, starting on ADSL and recently moving to FTTC. The service is expensive compared to other options (i.e. Virgin) but the price is worth it for the quality & support which outpace any ISP I have previously used.

I also appreciate their stance on providing a proper, unfiltered link to the internet which is also worth a premium to me.
Review Ratings
Summary: Does what it says on the tin
August 19th, 2014 (Last Edited: August 20th, 2014)
I've always been curious about using AAISP: various friends have used them, and been ecstatic, and I knew Adrian vaguely at university. But the need wasn't pressing: the people I knew who were using AAISP had specialised requirements (VoIP, for example) and I was happy with O2's rebranded Be service, which worked well at my location and was relatively cheap. Native IPv6 would have been nice, but a Hurricane Electric tunnel worked well enough.

Then O2 decided to get out of being an ISP, and took Be down with them. So I switched. And my parents were in the same position, so I switched them as well. ::1 100GB for them, ::1 200GB for me. Not cheap, but not breaking the bank either.

The switchover was painless, and we were all up and running on the agreed date. The supplied Technicolour (Thompson) router didn't quite seem to cope with being connected to a second router with multiple interfaces each with its own /64 (AAISP provide a native /48) so I had an excuse to scratch my Mikrotik itch: because AAISP are run by grown-ups they were perfectly happy to give me support with a Mikrotik 2011 and a DSL 320B in place of their router, whereas O2 always needed me to plug in their router before they would do anything.

Performance is excellent. Support is astoundingly good (albeit office hours only): today I wanted Annex M set up and it was up and running within 20 minutes. There's extensive logging and graphing that you have access to, too, which means self-diagnosis for those with clue is easy.

I can't really fault them. They not cheap, but then that's not their target market. Good support, good network, good people.
Review Ratings
Summary: Pure Quality
August 19th, 2014 (Last Edited: August 19th, 2014)
Having been with BE for five contented years I migrated to AAISP at the end of March 2014 to avoid being transferred to Sky's substandard and congested network. Faultless and professional from the moment I submitted my MAC and application form. I had previously emailed AAISP, just to clarify a few technical concerns and to ensure I would be put on their TalkTalk backhaul (with no DLM) and received a comprehensive response within hours. Within a couple of days they had sent me all the passwords and information I would need, as well as the pre-configured router, and the changeover was seamless exactly seven days from the day I signed up.
They have proved to be even better than BE, with none of the latter’s intermittent routing issues that occurred during their last year or two of operation. The download speed is equal to what I had with BE and the throughput speed is consistent throughout the day. They also provide native IPv6 connection and monitor the quality of every single line continuously. The user can also see a wealth of Stats for their line and make their own profile changes.
Now it just happens that this morning I experienced my first ever problem in the five months since joining. I noticed that my router had resynced with errors at a slightly slower speed about an hour before I turned on the PC. I therefore restarted the router from the interface but it failed to reconnect. I then tried the same thing again as well as un/re-plugging the router but the fourth green light just went to red. I was on the point of telephoning AAISP when the connection re-established. On checking the AAISP status page it was clear that they had been on top of the problem, which had affected all TalkTalk backhaul users, hours before I was even aware of any issue. The lost connections were caused by a faulty TalkTalk router after a failed upgrade but AAISP quickly re-routed connections through a secondary interconnect to TT and harassed TT until they rolled back their upgrade and the faulty link was restored by lunchtime. I cannot imagine Sky or any of the other mainstream ISPs resolving such a problem, which is after all not of their making, so efficiently. I would assume AAISP has a lot of clout in dealing with TT wholesale, who stand to lose significant business should AAISP go elsewhere for backhaul.
Forthwith I now know I can be confident of a solid uncongested and consistent connection and that any (extremely rare) outage that does occur will be quickly resolved by AAISP. I just feel sorry for all the ex BE/O2 customers who allowed themselves to be migrated to Sky’s network but are now complaining in droves on Sky’s own forum of poor connections, being lied to and non-existent customer service.
Review Ratings
Summary: Perfect
August 18th, 2014 (Last Edited: August 18th, 2014)
I am a Professional IT Engineer with over 30 years experience, and have been with Cabletel/NTL/Virgin Media since about 1997, with varying degrees of mediocre service but they were overall the lesser of the various evils so I stuck with them.

I then moved house to somewhere VM were unable to provision, and asked a group of highly knowledgeable people what ISP they would recommend and the responses were unanimous: AAISP.

They weren't wrong either. I connected to their IRC channel to ask some questions, and within seconds had responses from someone who clearly knew what they were talking about and in fact, I had the most enlightened and useful conversation I think I have ever had with someone from an ISP. It was actually exhilarating.

I was sold by that. From the moment I placed the order, I had helpful and timely updates, and even had my mistake spotted (and corrected) by their staff when I entered the wrong address (my brain had been fried by months of house moving stress). The installation was within 1 week of moving in, everything 'just worked' and was up and running in about 1/2 hour.

Now that I'm and AAISP customer I certainly don't think I'll be going anywhere else in future. Their support and service are a breath of fresh air. Incredible in this day and age of the attitude 'ignore the customers problems, they'll give up and go away eventually'.

Well done AA.
Review Ratings

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved (Terms, Privacy Policy, Links (.), Live Chat & Website Rules).