AAISP

93%
93%
94%
87%
Summary: Excellent Service
April 18th, 2014 (Last Edited: April 18th, 2014)
They cost a little more than using BTinternet or the suchlike (although having dealt with my In-laws' BT, account and their incompetent helpline staff, *any* amount of money is too much for the BT service) but the service is truly outstanding.

They have recently brought out a new tariff that would be more appropriate for me, and when I emailed to enquire whether I could change over, they couldn't have been more helpful. They've even backdated the tariff to when it was brought in, so that I save more money. They've taken note of my average usage, suggested ways to circumnavigate any problems with settling into my new tariff, and not charged me anything extra. I also know that if I phone them, I will get straight through, and talk in person to someone who knows what they are talking about, will not patronise me and not attempt to tell me to "turn it off and on again" because they've clocked I know my arse from my elbow and have already tried that. They will certainly not attempt to tell me that my brand-new router is broken because they couldn't be bothered to change a password (unlike BT last time I spoke to them).

They even wished me a lovely Easter break on the email telling me that they were going to save me £17 on this month's bill!
Review Ratings
Summary: AAISP is Awesome!!
April 16th, 2014 (Last Edited: April 17th, 2014)
I have been with AAISP since July 2013.

AAISP's telephone service was the first service I used. Ordered a Snom 710 VOIP Phone and a UK wide 03333 number. Since then I have ordered a local number, two London numbers and two 0800 freephone numbers for various projects.

In December I moved from another ISP to AAISP's FTTC Home::1 Broadband Service. Their unfiltered IPv6 service is amazing, they even provided a block of eight IPv4 IP addresses on request so that I could have a totally no-nat setup on legacy IP addresses as well.

Then AAISP's voiceless VOIP telephone service launched and their VOIP offering became more AWESOMER. I was one of their customers that helped beta test it.

After that I moved my PSTN residential phone line over to AAISP as well. I am able to request a PSTN line test and the system says if line is OK or if line has a fault. All incoming calls work, only free outbound calls work however. But I decided to unplug my land line phone and switch all my phone calls to their VOIP service, mostly to stop the cold calling I was getting on my regular phone line. No more cold calls, its bliss to be honest.

Next came SIP2SIM sim cards, ordered two, one for my Binatone Brick, the other for my Smartbel doorbell. With SIP2SIM I can link one of my numbers to a sim and instantly make and receive calls.

10/10 for everything.
Review Ratings
Summary: So Far So Good
April 17th, 2014 (Last Edited: April 17th, 2014)
Had AAISP two weeks so far, switching was easy, they kept me in the loop with texts and emails. The account management tool is also very good.
Review Ratings
Summary: Quality and service
April 14th, 2014 (Last Edited: April 14th, 2014)
I've used AAISP for our business ISP for some years. No one was as flexible or competent as them. But when it came to choosing a home service AAISP is more expensive. Frankly the extra cost is marginal and you get so much more. You can see where they spend their money, how much are you paying for those glossy leaflets that pour through your door from the likes of BT and Virgin for services that probably aren't available in your area and for 'deals' that last at most 6 months.
My only worry is that when a 'rare ' problem occurs the level of technical competence on the first line help desk is so good I feel slightly daunted!
Factually.
Quick, accurate, online response to request for service. Fixed IP address included. Clear pricing. Bundled internet only phone line [ie no triple play confusions or 'offers']
Superb online monitoring tool which gives both tech details [if you need it] and progress of install and router shipping etc. Quality router with clear indication of logon and password on removable card attached.
Speed limited only by ADSL capabilities of the line. No filtering or restrictions by content, port number, time of day.
Review Ratings
Summary: A bit expensive and some accounting confusion but painless support and flexible service
April 13th, 2014 (Last Edited: April 13th, 2014)
I like:
- IRC support (only during business hours but other customers are often helpful at all hours);
- fairly responsive e-mail support, sometimes they even answer on the weekend;
- support is manned by actual human beings who are not blindly following a script;
- it Just Works;
- clear website.

I don't like:
- confusion with accounting/billing;
- a bit expensive.

Details follow:

This is the first time I got an internet connection in the UK so I don't have much comparison points. I picked AAISP mostly because I kept reading scathing reviews of pretty much every other cheaper competitors while seeing good praises for AAISP itself. Compared to other ISPs in the same price range, I was mostly attracted by their position with regard to censorship/filtering, their clear website and the fact they are one of the few in the UK offering IPv6 by default.

My first contact with AAISP has been via IRC to enquire about some technicalities. I think the answer I got was actually from another customer but I found what I was looking for and ordered the service shortly thereafter.

I ordered the service before moving into my new home. I was asked to pay for a new line (£75) and told I would be reimbursed if it turns out there was already a phone line on the premise. I asked for the router to be sent to my work as I was not sure it would fit through the mail slot. They said they would but they sent it to my home address.

On the day I was supposed to move, my ex-future-landlord decided to pull out and I was left looking for a new home with one week left of tenancy in my previous home. I asked AAISP to change the address and start date of the order to be determined later. This was a pretty painless process for my part compared to the emergency home search itself. However they charged me £18 to cancel/change, supposedly because of BT. That charge is not advertised on their website.

After I found a new home and moved in, I asked AAISP for a connection at the new address. They ended up creating a new account for this. Again I asked for the router to be sent to my work (I didn't get the previous one since I didn't get access to the property they sent it to; luckily they didn't charge me for that) and again they sent it to my home (although this time they didn't claim they would do otherwise). It turned out to be fine as the router did fit through the mail slot.

A few weeks later I realised they did not transfer the £75 they owed me to the new account and asked them to rectify. About the same time they asked me to rate them on some other website. After a bit over one business day of silence and a reply to the feedback request mentionning my own pending request, I got a call first thing in the morning asking whether I would like the £75 refunded or credited to the new account. They still debited me the same day but hopefully they won't for the next two months.

I never had to call technical support. I haven't got around to measuring the speed of the connection or play with IPv6 or any of the reporting tools yet. So far, for basic internet usage it all works fine.
Review Ratings

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved (Terms, Privacy Policy, Links (.), Live Chat & Website Rules).