ICUK

85%
85%
80%
76%
Summary: Best ISP EVER!
February 19th, 2016 (Last Edited: February 19th, 2016)
I've been with ICUK since 2011 and can honestly say they're a brilliant provider. Never had any major problems, speed has always been good and consistent, ping perfectly acceptable for gaming, downtimes are very infrequent and most likely for maintenance so nothing to complain about.

Support is excellent, friendly and prompt.

Oh yeah and loyalty pays off with cheaper bills and unlimited downloads so that's fantastic.

Switching my line rental over to them because cheaper than BT.

Go ICUK! :) They're freaking AWESOME! :D
Review Ratings
Summary: ICUK Review 10/2/2015
October 2nd, 2015 (Last Edited: October 2nd, 2015)
This i one of the worst ISP's i have been with its slow i can't even watch Youtube or netflix without it buffering every 5 seconds It takes around 2 Hours to download a 1GB file this is one of the worst for me i don't suggest you move or go to this ISP
Here is a speed test i've just done just saying im not downloading anything
Review Ratings
Summary: The fall of ICUK
July 12th, 2014 (Last Edited: July 12th, 2014)
Having been with ICUK for several years we’ve experienced first-hand the gradual degradation of the quality of service and network performance of this ISP. Once a shining example of a British broadband provider who worked hard to stand out from the big players by providing a premium but reliable internet service, ICUK is now nothing more than an overpriced minnow.

The Service

Firstly, ICUK are a BT reseller. As a result, they cannot (or at least have been incompetent in doing so) quickly and responsively regulate the amount of bandwidth available to their subscription base. As the slow speeds in certain areas and cripplingly frequent packet loss demonstrate, the small company don’t possess enough clout to force BT’s hand to increase their bandwidth when they need it most. Prime examples of this include major sporting events. During the Olympics, for example, we could barely load webpages for a fortnight whilst ICUK support staff complained that BT hadn’t yet processed their request for more bandwidth (the request being two weeks outstanding by that stage). This leaves you and I, the paying customers, with high pings, packet loss exceeding 10% and sore fingers from typing so many frustrated emails to their support staff over the weekend.

Telephone support is only available on weekdays and ends at 17:30. You probably won’t be surprised to learn that most issues occur outside of working hours when the majority of people are actually using their internet after coming home from a hard day’s work. Even on ICUK’s more expensive ‘business’ package (as we were) the worst times for congestion were evenings and weekends; not standard ‘business’ hours – don’t fall for this scam like we did.

When you find you can only download at 150kb/s (likely due to network congestion from the aforementioned lack of bandwidth for the entire ICUK network or as a result of traffic shaping implemented to compensate the lack of bandwidth), your only means of resolution is to fire off an email to their support team which will go unanswered until the following day. By this time, tests and assessments of your service will be performed outside of peak hours and an email will follow asking for you to provide more information as they ‘cannot see a problem from their end’.

The Support

That last line will probably be one of the most common phrases you will hear from ICUK. During the Olympics fiasco mentioned above (one of many, I must add) ICUK went to the extent of sending an engineer to our house to check the BT lines (all which were of perfect working order) before finally letting slip that it might have been their chronically oversubscribed infrastructure that was causing the problem. This was quietly admitted to us in what was probably the 50th email exchange between us and four different members of their support team (most of whom are very friendly and genuinely seem to want to help, it must be said). After that point we were implicitly invited to leave ICUK by their staff and it was implied that the problems we suffered as a result of the oversubscription would be a regular occurrence. This was indeed the case.

Our household have since changed to a similar small UK ISP and could not be happier with the quality of service we’ve received. Given the countless hours of frustration and time we’ve wasted with ICUK I can only make one good faith recommendation to other consumers: AVOID.
Review Ratings
Summary: Absolutely useless ISP company
November 25th, 2012 (Last Edited: April 11th, 2014)
Below is my review from 2012. I went back to ICUK after I had been disconnected whilst away from home for a while after being given assurances that they could provide a decent service. Despite a written promise that they prioritised streaming, the speeds were so poor that streaming anything was impossible. Service buffered so frequently that not even a single sentence from a programme could be completed without pauses and breaks. I gave up watching my first streamed programme after 8 minutes, I just could not watch it.

Download checks via BBC IPlayer not only showed that their download speed was well below those that I should expect on my exchange, but that ICUK throttled streaming services which were about a quarter of the speed of other general download traffic, less than 0.7 mbps. The BBC streaming checker rates this as only suitable for audio streaming and not suitable for any video traffic even the lowest quality. I previously received 7.8 mbps from Zen on my exchange which is still on the first 8mbps ADSL system. My house is just yards from the exchange.

I do not know why this company have a good rating. I was previosuly with Zen who managed much faster service with little or no buffering. After just a few days with ICUK, I intend to move away and either go back to Zen, IDNet or another company whose reputation is justified.

Do not touch this company, they are dishonest about the service they offer.

Below is my original review from 2012:
=========================================
ICUK are not that great. They shape traffic, which although they say is only to restrict gamers at peak times, I have real trouble with streaming services such as BBC iPlayer. It constantly buffers and pauses and makes programmes unwatchable.

I live only yards from the telephone exchange and there are only a couple of hundred houses on the exchange so it is not the ADSL equipment at the exchange or the line distance. My previous provider did not have this issue at all and I was with them for around four years, I now wish I hadn't left them. Support was mediocre and email only at the weekend. Sometimes you have to wait until Monday to get a reply to your email.

I found the peak/off-peak bandwidth limiting unless you pay quite highly for a large peak time download limit.

Whilst I wouldn't they are terrible, neither is it outstanding. After a few months with ICUK I am now moving on.

EDIT: Just switched to IDNet and have both services live on my line at present on Saturday morning. What a difference, ICUK have all the usual delays and buffering, IDNet have no buffering and such a fast experience I wish I had never been with ICUK at all or at least switched away from them six months ago.
Review Ratings
Summary: Very happy with ICUK
August 10th, 2013 (Last Edited: August 10th, 2013)
I've been a very happy ICUK customer for a number of years.

I started with a web hosting reseller account and over time transferred my broadband from BT to ICUK followed by two telephone lines ( 1 x BT and 1 x TalkTalk) to ICUK. In all cases I've enjoyed reduced costs and a far superior service.

What do I like most about ICUK…

1. Fair, clear and transparent pricing.

Web hosting reseller package is excellent value and easy to understand and operate.

With BT & TalkTalk phones I had so called 'Free inclusive minutes' but with ICUK I simply pay for what I use which has reduced my bills by around 40%. They also have confidence to offer a minimum 1 month only contract – now that speaks volumes!

Broadband cost are also considerably less than I was paying with BT.

2. Reliable connections and service

It's very rare that I have issues with connections and broadband speed. I very much depend on the internet and phones for business and ICUK simply deliver what I need.

3. Support

Because the service is so good I don't have much need to contact ICUK, but on the odd occasion when I've needed their help by phone or e-mail they always respond quickly and fix any problems with the minimum of delay. Gone are the days of waiting on the line for 30 minutes to speak to someone at BT only to be passed around various departments.

I can't praise ICUK enough I only wish all companies adopted the same fair and honest policy with customers.